Newbie Vortec Cam Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

savagebows

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Hi, new here. I recently purchased an 85 GMC K1500. The 305 had issues so I took it out. A friend had an older 350 4 bolt main block and gave me a set of L31 vortec heads and a High Rise intake. He said that I'd need to get a larger cam or else it would be gutless on the lower end. It has an Edelbrock 1406, headers, and is manual transmission. I will be using it as a daily driver. I was a mechanic years ago and have build many SBC engines but nothing performance. Any advise on a cam that does not require modification would be greatly appreciated.

savagebows

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I believe it's the Pro Comp PCE147.1025.

Attachments

• 27f1908a16e26560b494ab45a88d1a44.jpg
    27f1908a16e26560b494ab45a88d1a44.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
Thats a lot of intake for a mild 350 build. Is it a single plane intake with a 3000 to 7000 rpm power band. :oops: Personally I would look for a cheap dual plane low rise intake for your build. Jeg's has a nice intake.

savagebows

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Yeah I think that's why he suggested a mild cam. So are there no cam's that'll make this work or is getting another intake my only option unless I want to modify the heads? If it won't work it won't work. I was just hoping to get a little more out of this motor without going overboard. I'll look at the intake too, do you have a model number or anything? So looking at these intakes I think I see what you're saying. The taller the intake it seems the higher the usable RPM range. So my guess is even with a larger can I wouldn't get much benefit from this intake under normal driving circumstances? If that is the case and I got the shorter intake, would a mild cam be beneficial? Like I say I'm just trying to get a little more from this engine but it will be my daily driver.

Last edited:

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Tyler? I was just looking at a new home builder doing quality stuff over there thru Risengers home show vid's.
Huh, cool.
A couple thoughts to share, Comp cams had a tech on line, I called and ran thru some options, etc. Compared to basic RV cam, Eldy dual plane (not a cheapie chinesium leaker) and long tubes like Rich Weyand stated on the site here (Very cool, efficient, plus value etc.) always wanted to do that, someday...

The intake you have likes High rpm I thinks,...I like an idle-5500 rpm for d/d.

My dual plane sinus infection Brain fog edit; I do not recall at the moment if it was a regular, or AirGap 2701 eps, or performer, or what, some have the coolant crossover, some don't, reminds me of this;

Edelbrock 2701 SBC Performer EPS Aluminum Intake Small Block Chevy 305 327 350.​

From Speedway motors, Ebay, $195.95. (not a sponsor but they have a 99.5% rating)

I do remember guys having frustrating air/oil leak problems from the Chinese copies of these years ago. And some guy stated "yeah, but they were only $80-$90" lol.

Either way, spend once, quality pays for itself thru smiles. Enjoy

Last edited:

savagebows

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I found some good mid length hedman ceramic headers for next to nothing new and had an edelbrock 2701 I was going to use on the 305 but the motor had problems and decided to go with the 350. I've never used the vortec heads but I've heard they are better than the old ones. I was really hoping to make this intake work since I already have it but I'm not married to it, just want to get the truck running good and on the road.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Like John said -- That manifold and those vortec heads will not play well together.. Vortech heads are designed for moderate lift low RPM "grunty" engines.. They run out of flow around 4,000 - 4500 RPM.. That Pro comp intake is just starting to "come on line" at that RPM.. Basically, you can have either, but not both..

That manifold is designed for high RPM high flow applications.. Cams that have miles of duration and skyscraper lifts.. Special high flow heads are a prerequisite.. Not to mention you'll need a very low ratio (high numerically numbered) differential.. With this combination, your truck will pass everything except a gas station...

{EDIT} Tim, I'm right down the road from you... Elkhart is about 10 miles south of Palestine.. We should get together sometime and talk trucks....

savagebows

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
That's what I needed to know. I'll look for a different intake. If I get a low rise intake should I just keep the stock camshaft? Hell yeah, come on I need a car guy out here. I just moved out here in 2019 and don't know anyone. I do woodworking, hunting and a little martial arts too if you're into that sort of thing.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's what I needed to know. I'll look for a different intake. If I get a low rise intake should I just keep the stock camshaft? Hell yeah, come on I need a car guy out here. I just moved out here in 2019 and don't know anyone. I do woodworking, hunting and a little martial arts too if you're into that sort of thing.
Let's see some pics of the rig of yours, looks like a beauty!

savagebows

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thanks. Here it is so far. The P.O. did some sketchy looking bodywork but underneath its very solid. Hopefully won’t have to do much else besides interior once I get the motor and transmission back in.
You must be registered for see images attach

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
My combo is a GM crate 350. The low compression 250 HP version. I went with GM Vortech heads , summit long tubes, the Jeg's intake, eddy 650, MSD 6al and the GM HT 383 motor roller cam. This combo makes good torque even with 3:08's and a turbo 350 tranny. I spent the money on the roller set up due to problems with cam wear on hyd. cams. I like to build my combo's with as many GM parts as possible. They spend more in R&D then all of the aftermarket combined. IMHOP. A plus with GM parts is that they are mostly made for daily driven vehicles. The reason for the MSD was to get rid of the troublesome electronic module in the dizzy. I got lucky and built this combo before prices got stupid. Torque is king for trucks and, most street driven cars. That's the big advantage to the LS, LT engines they make great torque and horsepower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod