Newbie Vortec Cam Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Tyler? I was just looking at a new home builder doing quality stuff over there thru Risengers home show vid's.
Huh, cool.
A couple thoughts to share, Comp cams had a tech on line, I called and ran thru some options, etc. Compared to basic RV cam, Eldy dual plane (not a cheapie chinesium leaker) and long tubes like Rich Weyand stated on the site here (Very cool, efficient, plus value etc.) always wanted to do that, someday...

The intake you have likes High rpm I thinks,...I like an idle-5500 rpm for d/d.

My dual plane sinus infection Brain fog edit; I do not recall at the moment if it was a regular, or AirGap 2701 eps, or performer, or what, some have the coolant crossover, some don't, reminds me of this;

Edelbrock 2701 SBC Performer EPS Aluminum Intake Small Block Chevy 305 327 350.​

From Speedway motors, Ebay, $195.95. (not a sponsor but they have a 99.5% rating)

I do remember guys having frustrating air/oil leak problems from the Chinese copies of these years ago. And some guy stated "yeah, but they were only $80-$90" lol.

Either way, spend once, quality pays for itself thru smiles. Enjoy
Came here to recommend this, nice choice. I appreciate that you mentioned the leaks as well.

A guy that I know pointed out that my standard Performer that had leak issues didn’t have the “Made in USA “ tag on the front. Apparently Edelbrock like everyone else had outsourced some of their lower end intakes.

My mystery 355 has some kind of a long duration cam in it, and I chose a Performer RPM, and it has been fantastic (yes it does have the “Made In USA”) and it is extremely forgiving, even with the fact I haven’t change the torque converter or rear end yet. Mine is the non-air gap version, it’s not hot enough up here to need that.

Best of luck to the OP, and welcome!

savagebows

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thank you. I like the idea of using a roller cam and rockers but the deeper I go the more expensive this gets. I sold my daily driver to get this truck up and running and I really need to get it on the road. May sound crazy but I'm tired of these new cars. My Tundra lost $10k in value in the 3 years I had it. It had over 270,000 miles and I was just waiting for the motor or trans to go out. When that happens it would cost me a fortune and the truck wouldn't be worth the cost of repairs. I'm tired of losing money on vehicles. At least these old trucks hold their value and become more valuable over time. Just seems like a smart financial decision to me. If you think about it we probably spend more on cars than we do on a house. A person may buy 1 or 2 houses in their lifetime, but you buy dozens of cars, and cars aren't cheap to buy and maintain these days. I dunno maybe I'm nuts.

savagebows

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thank you! Sorry having some internet problems today.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks. Here it is so far. The P.O. did some sketchy looking bodywork but underneath its very solid. Hopefully won’t have to do much else besides interior once I get the motor and transmission back in.
You must be registered for see images attach
Great looking truck, reminds me of my old Burby. Thanks for sharing and good luck with her.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
EDL-7661 flows awesome for the L31 Vortec heads.
Port and polish the intakes and exhaust runner very mildly.
Match the gaskets and keep it simple.
Holley Sniper and 1-5/8" tuned Sanderson headers to 2-12" collectors; your good to go.

.510/.510 is achievable with machine work on GM Performance L31 heads.

.479/.479 cam without machine work, keep it road worthy, full of fun on 91-93 octane with the correct springs and keepers using non-machined heads with proper clearance.
Stainless valves and real GM Vortec Heads work well together.
Use Quality bee hive springs.

Sell the Air Flow Down Draft to a Drag race team and get season's tickets to the races?

They will love you long time!
Your intake is ridiculous.
Get over it and downgrade before you break something.
There is no real world where you can run that on the street without methanol, giggle juice and a constrictor bottom end built for 6K plus.

Do a web search for "The Toilet Drag Racing Fuel System".
Then imagine running alcohol through the system into that intake, via a gear driven fuel pump system on a drag car?
Please, stop the madness.

savagebows

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Yeah the intake was given to me so I was trying to figure out how to make it work. I'll probably be going with the Edelbrock 2116 and use a Quadrajet like suggested. Thanks for all the info. Here's a pic of my previous old truck, really liked this one but can't get my nephew to sell it back to me like agreed. It's ok, we'll make him jealous of this one! lol

Attachments

• IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 13

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah the intake was given to me so I was trying to figure out how to make it work. I'll probably be going with the Edelbrock 2116 and use a Quadrajet like suggested. Thanks for all the info. Here's a pic of my previous old truck, really liked this one but can't get my nephew to sell it back to me like agreed. It's ok, we'll make him jealous of this one! lol

Lol, your nephew sounds pretty smart :rofl:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Yup.
You have a single plane intake.
All cylinders feed from a single common plenum.
Great for high speed.

You want a dual plane intake.
My son has the Summit Vortec heads on his 307 and is using this manifold from Ebay with good success.
Well the first one had a porosity issue, but it has a good warranty and the chinese company that made it stood behind it. He sent them the money to ship him a new one and it showed up the next week.
He was able to seal off the hole with some JB weld in the interim while waiting for the new one to show up.
So two manifolds....

You should also wonder if the heads were installed with the correct deck height.
On Max's little engine the rebuilder pistons and guess work of the previous builder had the DH at 0.93 and that is lazy.
So we found the head gaskets that would put the DH into an acceptable 0.51.
His little engine is wicked snappy and makes plenty of power for his little truck.

His little 307 has a very mild "RV" cam in it that barely is bigger than a stock one.
So we did the maths and figured that a set of 1.6 ratio rockers on all valves would work like champs.
He is now lifting around 0.449 with the mild cam and rockers.

When it is cold out, it takes it a minute of pampering the carb with your foot to get it to idle.
But that is only when it is first started in our experience.
After that the intake is warm enough to not give issues.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Here is the engine in the boys truck....

And how it sounds...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Again, this is a very mild 307.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Do a search for the Engine-masters video where they compared intake manifolds and how well they worked. Don’t get confused about high rise vs. low rise, which is not the same as dual plane vs. single plane. You do not want single plane with a carburetor and a relatively stock engine.

From what I recall the Edelbrock Performer EPS is hard to beat for a medium performance dual plane intake. The Edelbrock Performer RPM (not air gap) is hard to beat for a moderate high rise dual plane intake. Most of the additional power with the RPM is at higher engine speeds, so it might not have much benefit with a lower duration cam.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Tim that truck, she a hottie, real nice. I build engines, lots of good advice so far. Since you want to get this running cheap, I would buy a US based DUAL PLANE intake that is compatible with whatever heads you have. Bolt on those headers, and end it. You will gain some compression with the vortec heads, better intake for breathing and headers for free flow. That is probably 20-40 more HP than stock, without having to get into the motor. You can install that cam later. Dynode a 350 built like that and 327 HP 350 TQ, only difference was a cam. FYI.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That's what I needed to know. I'll look for a different intake. If I get a low rise intake should I just keep the stock camshaft? Hell yeah, come on I need a car guy out here. I just moved out here in 2019 and don't know anyone. I do woodworking, hunting and a little martial arts too if you're into that sort of thing.
You will want a dual plane intake. The single plane is only going to be good for a throttle body style fuel injection. For a truck engine you will want something like this.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...PFwet3_UiWN-qsQnAQA90cGWniFYi1CRoCNKcQAvD_BwE

I would pair that with a summit cam kit. I have the 1102 in my 350 in my K25 and it works well. With the Vortec heads you would probably like the 1103 a bit better.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1103

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod