Installing Tach in a Non-Ghetto Way?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
After I get my 77 burb all fixed up one of the things I want to do is add a tach. It's not a matter of "I need it" but I'm so used to having a tach on all my other vehicles and I just like to know what the engine is doing.

When I had my C20 I got a $20 eBay tach and screwed it to the dash. It worked, but the backlight was this blinding blue hideousness that made driving at night impssible, and it just looked ugly as hell.

On the other hand, there is this option: http://www.gmsports.com/content/new-tachometer-1973-1988-chevy-and-gmc-trucks

Thing is, they note that I'll lose the 4WD light. I kind of want to keep that, in case I actually ever use 4x4 and/or if the transfer case accidentally ends up in 4x4. It's also $215, which, while not a terrible price for something that nice looking, is more than I wanted to spend. On the other hand, I guess it would be nice to use this space because the fuel gauge doesn't work anyway, so it's just wanted space.

Is there any other option? Maybe an aftermarket tach that looks nice but mounts elsewhere?

Thank you for any input. This truck is in nice enough condition that I don't want to totally hack it up and ghetto-rig everything like I did in the C20.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I put this one in my beater..

You must be registered for see images attach

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
I think I've seen at least one or two stuck into the ashtray as a hideaway.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is there any other option? Maybe an aftermarket tach that looks nice but mounts elsewhere?

I have seen quite a few guys buy a small ~2" one and put it in the lower left blank/clock location. Several guys on this site have done it. I think it looks pretty good, they did nice installs. How the lighting is, IDK.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Small tach in lower left corner. It was just a bit brighter than the rest of the gauges using factory back lights.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@SlickGTP install pics...

I see yevgenievich posted some pics too. Looks nice! I was real close to going this route also.

Attachments

• SlickGTP-1.JPG
    SlickGTP-1.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 418
  • SlickGTP-2.JPG
    SlickGTP-2.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 446

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I'm going to look what I have in that position in the cluster - maybe nothing... I think that spot is perfect though, if nothing handy is currently using that space.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
On my suburban i stuck a giant tach from my camaro under the dash. Did not want to add any holes, and there was already mounting available in the spot.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
In my Suburban, I put a smaller size tach (maybe 2.5 inch?) right on the dash pad, right next to the A-pillar. It's a great spot for viewing, the dash was cracked so a screw hole wasn't going to hurt anything.

In my C10, the dash is perfect, so I wasn't going to put it on the pad. The tach I picked up for it had a steering column mount, so that's where I put it. I like it there, it kinda gives it the classic street machine look.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
well my suburban has a brake light in that spot. i might go the ashtray route.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Well, I know you didn't want to spend $200-ish, but I used the GM Sports tach which is in that range. I love it just because of how factory it looks. No one ever even asks about it since they just assume it's original (except those that know squares and that they never came with tachs in the later years)

So you mention losing the 4x4 light - on mine I just lost the fasten seat belts light (don't care) and the e-brake light. (see video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYCQnCD__8

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Eh, I'll go for the nice tach that goes into the fuel gauge spot after all. It just looks too good to pass up. Will have to save up for it so can't get it right away. I just don't see any solutions that are cheaper but look great.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
picture.php

If you don't have AC then you have a little blank storage spot in the upper right. I found it was too small to be useful and no lip on it so anything in there would fall out when getting on it.
I modified it to put some gauges in there. Not a tach but could put one in there.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
picture.php

If you don't have AC then you have a little blank storage spot in the upper right. I found it was too small to be useful and no lip on it so anything in there would fall out when getting on it.
I modified it to put some gauges in there. Not a tach but could put one in there.

I got AC thankfully :)

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Dave's right, you won't lose the 4WD light. Depending on your cluster you'll just lose seat belt and possibly parking brake. I always wear my seatbelt, so didn't mind loosing that, but I do like having the parking brake warning light, so I relocated to the lower left:

The two warning lights under the speedo are 4wd (left one) and "service engine soon"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD