LMC Tach Kit Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
So I've had my tach in but not hooked up for a minute. I'm curious if anyone else did the LMC kit and if so where did you hook up the pink switched 12v? My LMC harness has a terminator on it and what looks like a pass through connection. I assume it's meant to just go in line at a factory connection point, but as expected the instructions are lack luster.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You want key on power. What does the connector look like? Maybe goes to the fuse pannel? Or to the coil positive at the distributor?

hogdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
It's probably only key on for lighted gauge. The tach gets all it needs from coil in distributor.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
It's probably only key on for lighted gauge. The tach gets all it needs from coil in distributor.
If @Soundmound 's pink wire is labeled switched 12V I believe it needs key on power. The GM factory tachs have 3 wires. Power, ground and trigger to the coil.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Lighting of Guage comes from the PCB in the cluster since it's the OEM tach kit. The wiring is three prong at the gauge itself, breaking down to power(pink) ground(black), and tach signal(brown). The power lead definitely looks like it should be plug and play to another connection point with its available tap(blue) connectors in line.
You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Since the coil trigger is the only wire headed for the firewall, look hard at the fuse panel. Most likely something already plugged into the fuse panel that you pull out and plug into the piggy back plug on the provided harness. You are still wanting to check what ever you choose for key on power.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Since the coil trigger is the only wire headed for the firewall, look hard at the fuse panel. Most likely something already plugged into the fuse panel that you pull out and plug into the piggy back plug on the provided harness. You are still wanting to check what ever you choose for key on power.
Copy. I don't understand why they don't say "unplug x and insert y" instead of just saying "connect to 12v source".

Looks like there could be a panel location to hook into, several pink leads coming out of the block.

Last edited:

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm no expert, but it seems like this lead goes into this panel hole labeled ignition? Why not just say so if that's the case?!

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@Soundmound LMC is famous for their lack lust (or non existent) instructions. Drives us crazy here on many levels. Thanks to all the help here to make it make sense!
If LMC had some technical support for all the stuff they sell, it would absolutely be the place to shop all the time!

Randy and Easton

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

Yes, does the plug fit, that's the place.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

Yes, does the plug fit, that's the place.
Yes I tried it. So lame they don't just say "Plug into a labeled fuse block ignition source with the supplied connector and tie the supplied ground to the ground block just above.", or am I the jerk?

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yes I tried it. So lame they don't just say "Plug into a labeled fuse block ignition source with the supplied connector and tie the supplied ground to the ground block just above.", or am I the jerk?
There's wiring diagrams all over the internet.
I bought a factory tach cluster off fleabay, bought a gauge housing, pc circuit, and harness on line.
They sent me the wrong harness. I just made it work. Cut the wrong power connector off and put a spade connector on it. It works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike