Holy Grail of Squarebodys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't have a specific "holy grail" truck, but mine comes close to meeting all of my ideal criteria. It's a shortbed 4x4 with 3/4 ton axles and an SM465. I just wish it had a 454 (it's a 350) and wish it had the 70's front end. Other than that, it's pretty much perfect IMO....

You must be registered for see images attach

And @bucket has a 454 crew cab that's pretty damn ideal.....

If we're strictly talking all original trucks, that's a really tough decision. Wayyyy too many options to pick just one!
That dually is BEAUTIFUL

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ford still used Cummins engines in medium duty trucks as late as '06. Using the Dodge logic, they are a Ford engine too.
Aww hell, I surely didn't mean to derail this thread with this diesel vs. diesel BS.

I once worked on a 27 foot Lafitte Skiff that started its life with a 4-71 Detroit and we later swapped it for 5.9 Cummins. At no point did we ever call it a GMC or a Dodge.
I used to operate a 38 foot Chris Craft that had begun life with twin 440 Chryslers that had been swapped for twin 8V53 Detroits. At no point did we call that boat a GMC or a Chrysler.
Our 32 foot Lafitte had an old straight 6 Perkins Diesel. We never referred to that boat as a Massey Fergusson.

However, I can right now go find a Dodge/Ram with a Cummins, a GMC with a Duramax and a Ford with a Navistar. It just seems to me that an engine swap should kind of follow the manufacturer of the original vehicle. That's just my opinion which, by the way, is worth enough that if you take that and $1 you can probably buy a Coke. Or a Pepsi, or a Pop or a Soda or whatever makes you happy.

I really want to get back to this Holy Grail thing though.

A Beau James?

A Gentleman Jim?

How about an Indy 500 GMC?

Sorry, that was all GMCs. I can think of a couple rare Chevys too...

The Sport

or this really cool thing!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
So in 1974 I ordered my Holy Grail, although many will now disagree. GMC Jimmy (fully removable top) 350 mouse engine with a drive line only available a couple years. SM465 trans bolted to, yes, a full time 4 wheel drive NP203 transfer case!

Gasoline was cheap then and that truck would go where ever you pointed it. With the factory tach it was very easy to twin stick so you could jump out in the low range (unlocked) on any hard surface, run three gears, double shift and run three gears again.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That dually is BEAUTIFUL

Thanks. It's definitely a 20-footer though. Or maybe a 30-footer these days. The cheap paint is completely dead now. And the right fender is missing a 3rd of it's paint due to someone's poor prep work.

Honestly, I'm surprised the paint is even still there. It got a "very expensive" $1000 paint job back in '08-ish.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks. It's definitely a 20-footer though. Or maybe a 30-footer these days. The cheap paint is completely dead now. And the right fender is missing a 3rd of it's paint due to someone's poor prep work.

Honestly, I'm surprised the paint is even still there. It got a "very expensive" $1000 paint job back in '08-ish.
Holy smokes you have nice trucks. And your barn is awesome.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Aww hell, I surely didn't mean to derail this thread with this diesel vs. diesel BS.

I once worked on a 27 foot Lafitte Skiff that started its life with a 4-71 Detroit and we later swapped it for 5.9 Cummins. At no point did we ever call it a GMC or a Dodge.
I used to operate a 38 foot Chris Craft that had begun life with twin 440 Chryslers that had been swapped for twin 8V53 Detroits. At no point did we call that boat a GMC or a Chrysler.
Our 32 foot Lafitte had an old straight 6 Perkins Diesel. We never referred to that boat as a Massey Fergusson.

However, I can right now go find a Dodge/Ram with a Cummins, a GMC with a Duramax and a Ford with a Navistar. It just seems to me that an engine swap should kind of follow the manufacturer of the original vehicle. That's just my opinion which, by the way, is worth enough that if you take that and $1 you can probably buy a Coke. Or a Pepsi, or a Pop or a Soda or whatever makes you happy.

I really want to get back to this Holy Grail thing though.

A Beau James?

A Gentleman Jim?

How about an Indy 500 GMC?

Sorry, that was all GMCs. I can think of a couple rare Chevys too...

The Sport

or this really cool thing!

I have the Blue version of that Orange Sport. Mine is 4WD and has the factory 400. I can’t wait to restore that one. @Redfish

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Even before Dodge had the Cummins engine you could go to your GM dealer in 1987 and order your new GM light duty truck with a Cummins.
The truck would be built by GM, then sent to a Cummins Re-fit facility in Indiana for the transplant. From there it would go to the dealer and you would pick it up.
I still have some of the ordering info from my GM dealership.
GM covered warranty on the vehicle and Cummins the engine and installation.
Never said GM owned Cummins either.

Attachments

• Cummins refit 006.jpg
    Cummins refit 006.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Cummins Refit 007.jpg
    Cummins Refit 007.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 80

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
For me, this was almost it; 91 V3500 SRW with tbi 350, 4L80E and 205.

To be the Holy Grail, would it need to be an ultra rare offering from GM or just have everything I want?

My Holy Grail would have been the truck above but my complete definition has changed. At the time I owned it, I wanted to swap in 454, lift it sky high and keep it as a toy. Now, I would want it with a CTD, a 5 or 6 speed manual and keep 35"-ish tires on it then use it as daily.
This but with a big block. Either way, the 4l80 and 205 is BOMB!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

One of my absolute fave duallys! @bucket

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I am not responsible for anyone's reading comprehension.
If you think I implied Ford had owned Cummins that is your problem.

I understood the meaning of your post, I was just elaborating on the possible origin of other people's misconception. I did not intend to be disrespectful, and do apologize if that's how you interpreted the message.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My holy grail would be a 73 c10 short bed stepper with a 250 straight 6. Thats the reason i fell in love with squarebodys.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Damn I'd love to find a k30, but they're just not as available anymore.

A clean K30 is a unicorn. A M1008 CUCV is a little easier to find, but they are getting a little pricier, and lack pretty much all the creature comforts from the factory. The 24 volt electrical system on them makes them interesting as well. They still have the cool ex-military factor going for them though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave