HELP! Keep it stock or go a little aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@454-k10 sorry I wasn't paying close attention to your diagram. Both of my trucks had a 3 port valve in the thermostat and I see yours has 2. The EFE should hook in to a second 2 port valve that should be located on the intake manifold below the level of the thermostat. The idea is the valve will heat to temperature before the t-stat opens and heats the other 2 port valve you pictured. Based on your diagram. The EFE should be connected to the port closest to the bottom of the sensor on the intake.

I see another possible issue. It looks like one of the nipples on your TRC SOL CONT VALVE is broken off. There should be two. One looks like there is silicon on it (blue box). The red box is the TVS (throttle control valve) on your carburetor. The hose connected to it should be connected to the broken nipple in the blue box. The TVS is out of production. I just found one on e-Bay so I had a spare. It is also called a Throttle Kicker (GM 17057174, Rochester 57174, ACDelco 214-1019 or Carter 202-784).

The TRC (throttle return) solenoid is available through The Parts Place GM 1997479. Photo #2.
https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/cl...t=Electrical and Switches&Subcat=TCS SWITCHES

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
My big ten has NO emissions what so ever! Love it! No cats, no egr no smog, dont need any crazy inspection.. cant beat it

3/4 tons are easy to pass smog. 1/2 tons, not so much. I don't even have to let mine warm up to pass. But those of you that don't need to go through it, that's great. Here, you have to live in certain counties to not have to endure the smog testing every two years.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Still digging how nice and original the OP's truck is :cheers:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
3/4 tons are easy to pass smog. 1/2 tons, not so much. I don't even have to let mine warm up to pass. But those of you that don't need to go through it, that's great. Here, you have to live in certain counties to not have to endure the smog testing every two years.
Here in PA its not smog but emissions. It depends on what county you live in that decides if you need emissions testing. Kind goes by population.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's emissions here too, but who calls it that...lol...

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I personally dont think emissions should matter on things like 95 and older.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks everyone. It's a really nice truck and emission/smog testing or not you've all helped me decide to keep it original.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@Craig 85 so I'm having a hard time finding where this efe is supposed to plug into. I've got a random hose not hooked up to anything off that brown port on the air cleaner. Is that where it goes? There isn't any other ports near the thermostat. And the broken brown one, what plugs into the broken port? And the port on the thermostat housing, both houses go to the same place? Is that right?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
@Craig 85 so I'm having a hard time finding where this efe is supposed to plug into. I've got a random hose not hooked up to anything off that brown port on the air cleaner. Is that where it goes? There isn't any other ports near the thermostat. And the broken brown one, what plugs into the broken port? And the port on the thermostat housing, both houses go to the same place? Is that right?
Now i know my carb is diff but it looks like your truck has the right lines.... does yours have metal lines coming from here???

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You may be missing one of the 2 port ported vacuum switches. I only had one picture of my '79's engine before I sold it. The port was located in the intake manifold where your heater hose is. My heater hose was routed into the water pump by a PO, but I think it was supposed to be hooked up to the passenger side radiator tank. Could be different for your year.

The hose in your hand in your photo is supposed to hook up to the vacuum pod (secondary choke pull off) on the rear passenger side of the carb. Pod on the left in the below photo. The other hose next to it goes to the underside of the air cleaner to the thermostatic switch and terminates. There are 2 ports there, it looks like its green plastic on you photo. From there, the other side of that switch, connects to the top of the vacuum pod on the snorkel of the air cleaner.

Blue box below hooks to secondary cut-off. Red box is the EFE valve. This connects to the bottom of the 2 port ported vacuum switch that I believe is missing. I'm going to stop here and have you call me it would be a lot easier to explain the other connections and what I think my be missing. I'll pm my number.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@Craig 85
Well, I ordered a pvs off of rock auto. I hope its the right one. I'm going to get a new heater hose and put it to the water pump and put the pvs in the intake manifold. I ordered the one that goes in air cleaner too. Also a new TCS from the parts place. Once everything gets here I'll get a 5-6 feet of vacuum line and replace all of it. Thanks again Craig. And thank you to everyone who chimed in helping me. I wanted to know others thought about keeping it original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes