HELP! Keep it stock or go a little aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And when put it drive and give it gas it wants to die at just idle to about 1/4 throttle it just died on me. Starts right back up. Then you have to push passed the dead spot in the throttle and it bogs for a second then shoots forward. It didn't do it with the timing advanced.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Maybe you will find good infos in here... I believe you may be describing (in part) the same trouble many have with "open element" air cleaners and that at least PART of your "bog" is related to COLD AIR- not stove pipe hot air -as the system is designed.

https://www.autozone.com/repairguid...atic-Air-Cleaner-THERMAC/_/P-0996b43f8038ee8e

The recent news of your cold start running issues only add to keeping it is-as because certainly modifictions performed NOW will add to the problems rather than provide cure.

Is the vacuum switch on the thermostat housing intact?

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe you will find good infos in here... I believe you may be describing (in part) the same trouble many have with "open element" air cleaners and that at least PART of your "bog" is related to COLD AIR- not stove pipe hot air -as the system is designed.

https://www.autozone.com/repairguid...atic-Air-Cleaner-THERMAC/_/P-0996b43f8038ee8e

The recent news of your cold start running issues only add to keeping it is-as because certainly modifictions performed NOW will add to the problems rather than provide cure.

Is the vacuum switch on the thermostat housing intact?

I'll check the thermostat vacuum. Once the truck warms up its ****. I'm beginning to think restoring any nonfunctional/ missing factory components is the way to go. It runs very well, I'm just a power *****, lol. I guess I can drive my '13 Ram sport if I want to go fast.

I definitely want to update/ upgrade the exhaust from the manifold back. It's very quiet. I want it a little louder. The exhaust pipes are old and very rusty. It doesn't have cats. I think factory it didn't have cats. It's the 350 HD. I'd never seen one until now. It has brackets all over. Brackets mounted on the engine and transmission. I'll take pics later. The frame is HD too. It has this stamp on it .I'd never seen one like this.
You must be registered for see images attach

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Part of your problem is the fuel pump IN the Q-Jet.
It was built before they screwed with the gas by adding massive amounts of ethanol. The seals and gaskets aren't made to deal with it.
A re-build with the right kit that has ethanol resistant parts is in order.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is that truck immune from Colorado emissions testing? I'm pretty sure my friend in CO still has to get his 84 Toyota Land Cruiser tested every year, or at least visually inspected.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Does anyone know where to get one of these vacuum ports?

Rockauto has it. It is the first or the last in the link. It's the brown 3 port (ported vacuum) switch.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ical-switch+&+relay,ported+vacuum+switch,4604

I'm in California and have to have bi-annual smog tests. My truck has been off the road for about 12 years prior to my purchase last year. I just replaced all emissions parts on my truck. The left circle is your broken port/missing vacuum line.

You are also the vacuum line that hooks up to the EFE valve, green circle. It hooks up to the bottom of the 2 port valve near the thermostat. When I was fixing my truck, I found the vacuum pod, red circle, for the heat stove was bad. I replaced it with a part from The Parts Place (Vacuum motor CW8422Z / AC 6484245). I had to modify a little, but it works perfect.

My last truck was a '79 K15 with a fully smogged 350. Major dog. I did a couple of things to helped it. I installed the tall air cleaner lid. The air filter is 2" taller. It helped when the secondaries opened. I also cut the end off the snorkel adapter in the radiator support, creating a Ram Air effect. It ran better with this set up than with an open element air cleaner.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is that truck immune from Colorado emissions testing? I'm pretty sure my friend in CO still has to get his 84 Toyota Land Cruiser tested every year, or at least visually inspected.

I'm in Colorado Springs. No emissions here.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Part of your problem is the fuel pump IN the Q-Jet.
It was built before they screwed with the gas by adding massive amounts of ethanol. The seals and gaskets aren't made to deal with it.
A re-build with the right kit that has ethanol resistant parts is in order.

I'll do that. It needs quote a few gaskets. Its leaking a little oil too. Smells super rich when I punch it too.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That's gotta suck!

Every time my 'bird was due I'd pull out the smog gear I had removed and re-install it. Pass, go home, and take it back off. I also ran the gas tank almost dry and went to Torrance airport and filled it with av-gas. It was only $4.25 per gallon in 1982.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Every time my 'bird was due I'd pull out the smog gear I had removed and re-install it. Pass, go home, and take it back off. I also ran the gas tank almost dry and went to Torrance airport and filled it with av-gas. It was only $4.25 per gallon in 1982.

Wow. I checked the 100LL price a few months ago on the MS Gulf Coast, and it was exactly $4.25. I thought it was a bit much but maybe not. When my dad had an airport, he told me he’d set Avgas a dollar higher than it was in town so back in the mid-90s that would have been about...$1.75/gallon. Maybe 2?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
AV gas isn’t so good for car engines from what I’ve read. I’m sure @Big Chip could elaborate on the subject he’s the one that schooled me on its principles.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Not JP-4, it was 106 Octane.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rockauto has it. It is the first or the last in the link. It's the brown 3 port (ported vacuum) switch.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ical-switch+&+relay,ported+vacuum+switch,4604

I'm in California and have to have bi-annual smog tests. My truck has been off the road for about 12 years prior to my purchase last year. I just replaced all emissions parts on my truck. The left circle is your broken port/missing vacuum line.

You are also the vacuum line that hooks up to the EFE valve, green circle. It hooks up to the bottom of the 2 port valve near the thermostat. When I was fixing my truck, I found the vacuum pod, red circle, for the heat stove was bad. I replaced it with a part from The Parts Place (Vacuum motor CW8422Z / AC 6484245). I had to modify a little, but it works perfect.

My last truck was a '79 K15 with a fully smogged 350. Major dog. I did a couple of things to helped it. I installed the tall air cleaner lid. The air filter is 2" taller. It helped when the secondaries opened. I also cut the end off the snorkel adapter in the radiator support, creating a Ram Air effect. It ran better with this set up than with an open element air cleaner.

Ok, so the EFE canister plugs into where? What plugs into the broken port on the vacuum port?

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model