Has anyone bought the LMC dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Has anyone bought the LMC dash? I am looking for one that has a metal core, like the factory dash had. If it's not metal under there, it ain't gonna work. It will bow up and be wavy. The metal prevents this. (my 87 truck is with AC if that matters)

Maybe you're aware of a different company that sells a metal core dash? I've been through several different dashes looking for a good one, but thus far I've come up short. Thanks!

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I bought one a while back- It does have metal. It is just okay- maybe... It is too tight around the instrument panel. I eventually got mine to fit decently after a lot of work. Trimming edges and such. I don't think I would go that route again, but I haven't really seen anything better.

Attachments

• IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 102

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I went with the LMC, sheet metal base and no complaints yet. I haven’t installed the gauge bezel yet though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I installed a Skin Last Summer Fit pretty good so far no warpage, i ordered Gray and they sent light blue

Attachments

• IMG_5300.jpeg
    IMG_5300.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 86

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I bought one a while back- It does have metal. It is just okay- maybe... It is too tight around the instrument panel. I eventually got mine to fit decently after a lot of work. Trimming edges and such. I don't think I would go that route again, but I haven't really seen anything better.

Yeah I think you have to do a lot of trimming to get the bezel to recess in like it's supposed to. Maybe too much trimming, I dunno. It may be that the corner just isn't made quite right. My current dash is the same way. I've still got my old severely cracked dash for comparison so maybe I'll take a look.

The one I have now is from classic truck parts of america. I'm guessing they still sell the same one. It's a plastic base and that didn't work out. It's all wavy on top whereas the factory was smooth and flat. Minus those giant cracks of course.

I tried the coverlay brand dash cover that's in the post above. But they're hard, and to me they look like they stick out just a bit more than factory. They'd have to, since they're a cover and can't occupy the exact same space as the vinyl. Likely nobody but me would ever notice that though. There's a lot of dash threads and it seems like the ultimate answer may be to have your factory dash recovered. Here the only difficulty lies in finding a qualified person to do it.

You'll know they're qualified because they won't suggest adding any new seams and stitching. There's a way to heat vinyl and stretch it over but it's a skill.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The Chinese use a very precise piece of equipment to make Squarebody dash pads. It is called the eyeball micrometer.

I have found the best method for installing the dash pads from Coverlay is to heat the old pad up with a heat gun and remove all of the padding. The new cover won't stick out as much and passengers can notice the other flaws instead.

sgrinavi

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a an LMC dash in my 81, fit is fair once you do a little trimming. I live in FL and forget to put my sun shade up half the time, and am the end of my 2nd summer with the dash sitting just fine. I had one in my 85 Ford too, same deal.

Rudy Mienert

Reaction score
First Name
Rudy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I'm using a Coverlay and it fits well, but not perfect. Check on AMD, they just came out with one, and their stuff is very good. If anyone is using it, please let us know!!!

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I went with the LMC, sheet metal base and no complaints yet. I haven’t installed the gauge bezel yet though.

Yeah everyone complains about the way the gauge bezel fits. I think trimming the inside of the dash significantly is the only hope of getting the corners of the bezel to fit normally.

But then I think there's a couple (maybe 3) screws that won't have anything to bite into. So to really do the job right, you'd have to supply some new metal from the metal dash itself, for the screws to go into. And probably get longer screws cause now they have to reach further.

So you know, standard aftermarket parts fitment. A good deal more work to get it 90% of where it should be. But without all that extra work, you're at 70% and looking bad.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Has anyone bought the LMC dash? I am looking for one that has a metal core, like the factory dash had. If it's not metal under there, it ain't gonna work. It will bow up and be wavy. The metal prevents this. (my 87 truck is with AC if that matters)

Maybe you're aware of a different company that sells a metal core dash? I've been through several different dashes looking for a good one, but thus far I've come up short. Thanks!
I bought one quite some time ago, and like your's, it doesn't have any metal in it. I used speed nuts where the dash bezel goes, otherwise you can't tighten the two outer corners, and the inner ones might even pull out of place. It has stood up to the sun very well, but when not installed, it is pretty delicate.

J. B.

Woods77K10

Reaction score
First Name
Gina
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K10
Engine Size
V8
I fixed my factory one. It was pretty bad. I was going to do leather but thought I'd hold off for now since the truck is still coming along. Cut out the rusted metal and patched with sheet metal. Then cut all plastic that was cracked. I filled with some spray foam the sanded. Yhen body compound. Sanded until it was smooth. I did cut out the metal where the factory speaker goes. Not sure if I'll put a speaker there or for now I'll fab a screen of some sort. I covered it with vinyl. Used a heat gun, contact cement and viola.
Working on the seat now.

Attachments

• 20230822_184842.jpg
    20230822_184842.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 62

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I fixed my factory one. It was pretty bad. I was going to do leather but thought I'd hold off for now since the truck is still coming along. Cut out the rusted metal and patched with sheet metal. Then cut all plastic that was cracked. I filled with some spray foam the sanded. Yhen body compound. Sanded until it was smooth. I did cut out the metal where the factory speaker goes. Not sure if I'll put a speaker there or for now I'll fab a screen of some sort. I covered it with vinyl. Used a heat gun, contact cement and viola.
Working on the seat now.

That's very nice work. Do you have the uncommon factory orange interior, or is it tan and the lighting makes it look a little orange?

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
We did the LMC with metal as well. Very happy with how it was made and how it installed in truck. Bezel was not that bad except for drivers right side AC vent was hard to set back in and took a bit of adjustments and then went in fine. We had to trim the foam away from the inside of the passengers vents so the actual duct would fit and the clutch back will grab the bezel trim and hold it in place.
we actually have to take it out because we evidently did not take enough foam away from the inside foam around one of the ducts and the pin from the dash bezel that holds the duct in place sheared off under load apparently. Have to buy a new bezel and to re set the AC duct after we cut some more foam out.

It looks great in the truck but will add a small piece of metal metal on the instrument bezel upper right side to give that screw something to grab there instead of just foam. We would buy this again, even with the issues.

Randy and Easton

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1137.jpeg
    IMG_1137.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1191.jpeg
    IMG_1191.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 82

Woods77K10

Reaction score
First Name
Gina
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K10
Engine Size
V8
That's very nice work. Do you have the uncommon factory orange interior, or is it tan and the lighting makes it look a little orange?
Thank you. The truck is a hodgepodge of truck parts. I figure there 4 different trucks in parts to this one. The interior was red and light blue. I personally love a light brown/tan interior. This is a brown but a little darker than I was going for. The materials cost $50 but could probably had been less buy I have no experience with bondo or frankly doing any of this. Pic of how the truck was purchased.

Attachments

• 20230712_185552_HDR.jpg
    20230712_185552_HDR.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 64

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef