first time painting (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
hey guys heres a pic of my fender i painted, sherwin willaims have me a great price on a pint of base and clear to test it out i guess im starting to paint my k20 now. I choose a dark blue, and it is dark but with the lights it looks lighter.

I practiced on an old hood and got the feel of the gun. i love useing a gun. when i layed the first coat of base i was like AHH tiger stripes but with the 2nd coat and drying they went away. I just got 2 light spots i gota scuff up and do again.

i think it tured out really good for my first time with a gun, now i just gota fix the orange peel issue. advice????

Attachments

• 86chevyk20paint1.jpg
    86chevyk20paint1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 86chevyk20paint2.jpg
    86chevyk20paint2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 86chevyk20paint3.jpg
    86chevyk20paint3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 86chevyk20paint4.jpg
    86chevyk20paint4.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 174

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
wetsand and buff.

it's hard to avoid ALL orange peel and such unless you got a both, completely dirt free, very experiences, gun setup perfect and perfect paint mix etc.

I spray em, sand em, and buff em.

looks alot like my blue, it's darker tho, maybe it's your lights and mine will be lighter too in the lights, I aint sure. I haven't painted anything with it yet just saw the color chip.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i use to be a painter in a body shop

to avoid orange peel in clear coat you have to spray it wet at a higher pressure with the gun close to the body and move pretty quick across it.

almost to the point of the paint running it is a experiance thing. you run alot until you figure it out. the wetter the paint the more time it has to lay out smooth its self out before it dries. and do not have the room to hot or the paint will dry to fast. and to cold it takes forever to dry. and i like to use the slower reducers to give more time for it to lay out. just takes longer to dry.

maybe just try spaying it a little more wet no dry spots while spraying

i rarely buff anything i paint now after a couple years painting in shops i became a pretty good painter and i still do side jobs for people

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thanks for the advice. im happy with how it turned out for my first time. when i layed the first coat i saw striping and got scared that i screwed up but as soon as it dried it went away.

question... are the harbor freight guns worth useing to paint my truck, im not talkin the $15 im talking the $30 one or higher. I know they are not total crap and have seen people do some pretty awsome stuff with them

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
:popcorn:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Looks good dude! Alot better than my first paint job.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
every paint job I've done has been with a $50 devilbiss paint gun from lowes.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
i use to be a painter in a body shop

to avoid orange peel in clear coat you have to spray it wet at a higher pressure with the gun close to the body and move pretty quick across it.

almost to the point of the paint running it is a experiance thing. you run alot until you figure it out. the wetter the paint the more time it has to lay out smooth its self out before it dries. and do not have the room to hot or the paint will dry to fast. and to cold it takes forever to dry. and i like to use the slower reducers to give more time for it to lay out. just takes longer to dry.

maybe just try spaying it a little more wet no dry spots while spraying

i rarely buff anything i paint now after a couple years painting in shops i became a pretty good painter and i still do side jobs for people

So, what would you recommend as a good temp....round 80ish?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
at least 70's IMO.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i have used 900 dollar guns and the cheapest guns

i have a set i got from eastwood devilbiss guns 100 bucks for 2 guns. i love them set them good and if the are spraying good they are just as good as the 900 dollar guns.

the cheap chinese guns are only good for primer.

and 70 to 80 is a good range.

DREAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dreamer
Truck Year
Truck Model
High Sierra
Engine Size
The actual painting is only 50% of the job. The prep work is the other 50%. Use a blow gun to blow all the dust out of your garage. Sweep it. Blow it again. A little water on the floor. Wipe down your truck. Get your truck into the garage then wipe it down again with a Tack-rag. Those are just some of the steps you should take.

I agree, the wetter the paint the better. But don't be discouraged...nobody gets "it" the 1st time

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yes as well as bug spray the entire area, it helps keep down on insects somewhat.

The main thing would also be the ceiling, dust stays up there in areas and when the paint over spray goes it, it locks on and pulls it down right into the paint.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I applaud you Liam! I think that's pretty friggin good for a first timer. It's nothing some wet sanding a buffing couldn't clear up.

EDIT: LOVE the color too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast