Hard time finding the correct carrier bearing from local parts house.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Truck in question is a 1980 C20 with 454 and Muncie 465 out of a 73 c20 camper special. Drive shaft and rear end are supposed to be the original with the truck that had a 350 and automatic transmission.

Bearing ID 1.378
Center to center of mounting holes was 6 5/8 inch

So as the title says I’m trying to find the correct carrier bearing and not just it should probably work. As I don’t feel like having to change it again prematurely. Parts house gave me an Anchor 6056. ID of the bearing was correct along with the mounting holes. Was also the only one they showed with that ID for my truck. Put the dust cover on and seated the bearing. Well there was a gap between it and the bearing about a 1/4 inch. Along with its ID be much bigger than the knurled step it would sit on. So it would just rattle and probably cause damage to that stepped area just flopping around. Had to tear it apart to get the bearing to fit on to pull it. So money in the garbage can. Went to another parts house. Same exact bearing is what they brought out. One of the guys that’s better at finding parts was in the parking lot when I walked out and asked if he could try and find the right one. Came up with the same one that didn’t work in the first place and one that was exactly the same but without the dust cover. Had a couple others that were exact copies of the original but had a bigger ID. Found the Spicer 210370-1x which the pictures look pretty much like it, but not sure if it is actually like shown. I have pictures of the shaft area, but some reason not the bearing. It’s in the work truck and it’s pouring down right now. I’ll get some pictures of it and some measurements in the morning. Do have several of it still under the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Spicer bearing that looks like what was on it with the same ID and mounting holes, but have only found it online. Only difference versus the picture is the housing is metal all the way around but have seen pictures where it has it.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Give dennys drive shafts a call I'd put money on they will have what you need

716-875-6640

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Truck in question is a 1980 C20 with 454 and Muncie 465 out of a 73 c20 camper special. Drive shaft and rear end are supposed to be the original with the truck that had a 350 and automatic transmission.

Bearing ID 1.378
Center to center of mounting holes was 6 5/8 inch

So as the title says I’m trying to find the correct carrier bearing and not just it should probably work. As I don’t feel like having to change it again prematurely. Parts house gave me an Anchor 6056. ID of the bearing was correct along with the mounting holes. Was also the only one they showed with that ID for my truck. Put the dust cover on and seated the bearing. Well there was a gap between it and the bearing about a 1/4 inch. Along with its ID be much bigger than the knurled step it would sit on. So it would just rattle and probably cause damage to that stepped area just flopping around. Had to tear it apart to get the bearing to fit on to pull it. So money in the garbage can. Went to another parts house. Same exact bearing is what they brought out. One of the guys that’s better at finding parts was in the parking lot when I walked out and asked if he could try and find the right one. Came up with the same one that didn’t work in the first place and one that was exactly the same but without the dust cover. Had a couple others that were exact copies of the original but had a bigger ID. Found the Spicer 210370-1x which the pictures look pretty much like it, but not sure if it is actually like shown. I have pictures of the shaft area, but some reason not the bearing. It’s in the work truck and it’s pouring down right now. I’ll get some pictures of it and some measurements in the morning. Do have several of it still under the truck.

Spicer bearing that looks like what was on it with the same ID and mounting holes, but have only found it online. Only difference versus the picture is the housing is metal all the way around but have seen pictures where it has it.
The one with the spacer is probably what you need, but that coems out tobe slightyl less than 1/4 inch (5mm is about 1/5 inch)

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Pictures with measurements dump

Attachments

• IMG_4761.jpeg
    IMG_4761.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 18

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
my guess is its NOT original then . but thanks for that. You said the trans came out of a 73, let me cross that realy quick

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
also on the previous pic i posted it has a spacer but the dimensions should fit it...

Attachments

• 1706035082820.png
    1706035082820.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 17

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
also on the previous pic i posted it has a spacer but the dimensions should fit it...
That spacer will take up the gap the cover facing the rear end would fit on. I may have to just go that route and just not be anything on the piece the rear cover fit on. Just doesn’t seem correct to me but I tend to be very picky about things.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Being scrubbing the old one down in hopes of a part number. Found some numbers but it looks like there might be 2 numbers missing. 39902??2

ETA: figured out the numbers and it’s for the metal support housing piece 3990292

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That spacer will take up the gap the cover facing the rear end would fit on. I may have to just go that route and just not be anything on the piece the rear cover fit on. Just doesn’t seem correct to me but I tend to be very picky about things.
do you mean this
Kje ufits on the part thats stepped down but not the larger ones?

I believe that would be by design?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
do you mean this
Kje ufits on the part thats stepped down but not the larger ones?

I believe that would be by design?
The HB88107a would fit the step down piece and the ring take up the 1/4 inch that was left after the bearing seated all the way. On the old one the dust cover would take up that bit and the 2 piece cover for the other side would seat on the bigger step. Believe the HB88107a was the same as one of the anchor brand that I looked at that was identical to the 6056 except it didn’t have the rear dust cover with the incorrect ID and width. Don’t know if these pictures will help out any of it still on the truck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The HB88107a would fit the step down piece and the ring take up the 1/4 inch that was left after the bearing seated all the way. On the old one the dust cover would take up that bit and the 2 piece cover for the other side would seat on the bigger step. Believe the HB88107a was the same as one of the anchor brand that I looked at that was identical to the 6056 except it didn’t have the rear dust cover with the incorrect ID and width. Don’t know if these pictures will help out any of it still on the truck.
hm. be nice to find a resource for the bearings by dimensions

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag