Just started my first hands on squarebody build, looking for advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastEddie

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS2 Stroker
Hey guys, I have owned a few really nice trucks and k5"s that I have had built for me over the years, but its time to get dirty! I am building my first truck with my own hands in my own shop. I am looking for some advice on which combo to throw together. I am building a 4x4 swb with 6" lift on 35's with stock appearance aside from lift. I know the old skool guys wont like it but i have a built LS2 stroker that I am going to use mated to a 6L90E and a NP205. I have already done all the small blocks and big blocks out there and looking to do something more modern for drivetrain this time round. My concern is will I lose value if I use newer cab with older front clip and older box etc. Kind of a frankenstein build to get the best of both worlds or should I stick with all one year to achieve best value? I appreciate all the knowledge and experience you all have! Here is what I have....

1977 cab needs corners with regy
1981 cab needs corners and rockers
1987 cab solid with regy
1977 oem no rust box, doors, fenders, hood,
1977 nos in the box grill, rad support
1977 chassis solid
Most all the remaining "used" parts to complete the truck however planning to replace majority of it as I want the truck to look and operate like a new truck when completed

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Kyle cab corners are cheap an fairly easy to install, taking in consideration that you need a welder and the skills, I like the round eyes… welcome from Wa St.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Why’d you make the same post and ask the same questions twice?

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Anytime you deviate from stock, you narrow your audience. With that said, IMO, if it's done right and nails the look, somebody will fall in love with it, it will just take longer finding the buyer. Make sure the work you do is quality and looks professional, in other words, don't cut corners. Don't let them find a reason not to buy it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anytime you deviate from stock, you narrow your audience. With that said, IMO, if it's done right and nails the look, somebody will fall in love with it, it will just take longer finding the buyer. Make sure the work you do is quality and looks professional, in other words, don't cut corners. Don't let them find a reason not to buy it.
And if you’re planning on spending 100k on a diy squarebody build, you’re not building it for resale.
Idk if I could find that much to spend, short of maybe a custom tube chassis with a helephant transplant or ?

FastEddie

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS2 Stroker
And if you’re planning on spending 100k on a diy squarebody build, you’re not building it for resale.
Idk if I could find that much to spend, short of maybe a custom tube chassis with a helephant transplant or ?
I'm talking canadian dollars which is a fraction of a US dollar LOL. that being said up here a guy will spend 25-30k just on a good quality paint and body job. arrow straight body with even gaps etc. which I cant do haha paint and body materials alone have sky rocketed in price ugh. 40k on motor (boosted LS) and tranny, ac, rest of drivetrain, interior, etc etc its easy to spend north of 100k (canadian) on a high end build even diy as much as possible. I should have maybe said it differently, I am not building this truck to sell however it is a big investment and I want to build it in such a way that it holds a strong value. I've seen these trucks built high end fetching big money. Not unusual to see a nice squarebody in the 100k-150k (USD) range at auction. I plan to drive mine though so thats not my intention.

tahitiansoul

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
JIMMY SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
5.3 LM7

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
Not many build a squarebody to make money. This is not a c2 vette or hemi cuda. Your build is much like a street rod. It's much cheaper to buy one used than build one.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard from East Tennessee.

Latest posts

Forum statistics