Downside to Vortec heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I found this as part of Rust Nails's signature in another thread, and added my own comments:

Vortec heads are cheap. They require you buy machining to use more than a 0.425" fancy lift camshaft! Plus you must buy a Vortec intake manifold, buy Vortec rocker arms, buy Vortec valve springs, and buy Vortec valve covers. After all these items, the cheap Vortec heads aren't so cheap anymore plus all your other stuff is useless.
Been there, done that. Upgrading to LS6 beehive springs installed @ 1.750" with CompCams retainers and locks got me another .050" safe lift, but cost $160 -- ka-ching!

I'll also point out that exhaust ports on the latest castings are offset higher relative to the bolt holes. This requires special attention (and/or mods) to most gaskets, exhaust manifolds, and headers.

And then there are problems with intake manifold gaskets leaking (a major problem for GM from Day 1), and castings that are prone to crack. (If you ever find a used pair that doesn't have at least hairline cracks, I'd be surprised.)

Next time I will use some entry level aluminum heads, like Edelbrock E-Street.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
At one time they were a good bargain, when they were around 300 bucks or less for a pair. But then word spread, they got popular and the rest is history.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
haven't had any problems with mine in the 4 years Ive been running them

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
There is also the issue about cold weather. Vortec heads got rid of the exhaust crossover pathway under the carb. If you live somewhere where it get cold in winter you need this otherwise it runs like **** for the first 15-20 minutes or so.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
That's right! I forget about the cold weather b.s.
Plus they leak water.

Now anyone can buy BRAND NEW, COMPLETE, ALUMINUM castings and the glue of your choice, for $600.

Vortec heads are already over, too bad it wasn't figured out sooner!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Glue of your choice?
I can't edit it, that SUCKS about this msb.
Flow. The FLOW of your choice. 190,195,200,210,215,220,225 cc. There is no good reason to spend the same $600 for less benefit and more trouble - plus it is impossible to beat the cool factor of NEW aluminum heads.
I'm gonna put some on my 400 to replace the 882s.

Best deal goin, check it out!

ASSEMBLED ALUMINUM HEADS W/ STEAM HOLES 64CC 200CC http://r.ebay.com/ZUP3a8

Those springs will run a half inch lift. That's HOT AND you'd have that in your vortex eads, Don't deny.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yes, apparently the admins want us to live with our mistakes.:shrug:

They are few. We are many. Without us they are nothing...Feel the wind of change blowin!
Power to the people cuz the people want peace!

[yt]4TTrUqtFKHA[/yt]

Last edited:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Uh, my vortec heads were like 80 bucks. Intake was $130 I think? Bought the springs and seals off eBay for like 50 bucks. I'm running stock center bolt valve covers. ..that's no where near 600 dollars.

Now I spent coin on arp bolts and ****. But Either vortec or aluminum you're going to need intake gaskets and bolts and bolts for the heads.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Besides aluminum heads, what are the good <1986 options for factory cast iron heads using a 350 as the example? Like could you work a set of bigger valved fuelie heads and still perform well compared to everything you dumped into a Vortec motor? I kinda like that idea for TBI. The GMPP intake for Vortec TBI looks dog ugly to me. The non-Vortec Edelbrock intake for TBI, too. I like the Holley 300-49, which is a TBI intake for the old heads. What about 305? Besides working the 416/601 HO casting numbered heads, are aluminums the only alternative? This is good info. Everyone swears by the Vortecs, but you put so much into them, and I'd be reluctant to do this because it's so much, especially if I get almost the same from something cheaper.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, apparently the admins want us to live with our mistakes.:shrug:

There was a member a while back that ruined it for everyone. Systematically started deleting every one of his posts, leaving a bunch of threads that didn't make sense. So if something needs fixed in a post that you feel is important, just report the post and say what you would like fixed. One of us should be able to take care of it.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Uh, my vortec heads were like 80 bucks. Intake was $130 I think? Bought the springs and seals off eBay for like 50 bucks. I'm running stock center bolt valve covers. ..that's no where near 600 dollars.

Glad to hear those low cost parts worked for you. You usually get what you pay for.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Besides aluminum heads, what are the good <1986 options for factory cast iron heads using a 350 as the example? Like could you work a set of bigger valved fuelie heads and still perform well compared to everything you dumped into a Vortec motor? I kinda like that idea for TBI. The GMPP intake for Vortec TBI looks dog ugly to me. The non-Vortec Edelbrock intake for TBI, too. I like the Holley 300-49, which is a TBI intake for the old heads. What about 305? Besides working the 416/601 HO casting numbered heads, are aluminums the only alternative? This is good info. Everyone swears by the Vortecs, but you put so much into them, and I'd be reluctant to do this because it's so much, especially if I get almost the same from something cheaper.

Besides aluminum heads, the vortecs. 305 heads on a 350 was always a laughable matter. TBI heads are junk. Nothing TBI translates to performance. I've told you what I have I'm my vortec head swap. They work....give me $600 for the alums and an extra 250 for top end gaskets and ARP bolts and I'll run the **** out of them. Until then I'll run the vortecs

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Glad to hear those low cost parts worked for you. You usually get what you pay for.

The springs were new gm. Just because I got them off eBay doesn't mean they were junk. The intake is a name brand made in usa as well.

Y'all just like to pick an object and hate on it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris