Want to build a good horsepower, good fuel economy engine for a 1978 c20 with stock 350. I don't know much and need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
You've adjusted the carbureator wrong,get a book. I recommend an old motors manual off ebay. Brakes start a new thread,sorry lots going on can't devote the time to this that you need. If you aren't using a vacuum gauge and mixture screws your doing it wrong,and set the timing first,vac advance disconnected and plugged reattach to manifold vacuum before you adjust the carbureator.
Shouldn't he hook vacuum advance to front carb vacuum fitting? That's where Mines hooked up. Manifold vacuum is constant right? Where carb vacuum increases with rpm increase. I might be wrong about this tho. If I am continue and ignore me. Lol

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Be more specific??
Open loop or closed?

This quoted info seems key.
Lookin at you, float level.
So ..the quad leaks?
Internally?

It's 8 pages now Rick..you doin alright buddy?

Your timing isn't set at 0°?? :Nonono:

Rick can fix it but I reckon he's gonna need moar coffee I guess. :( :shrug:

Prolly gonna have to open it up, the Quad.
I can easily see that you need to change the intake manifold gaskets - they don't last 35 years.
As for the brakes? My money rides on a leaking wheel cylinder. Think real hard about removing the rear wheels for a brake inspection - A.S.A.P.

Safety first kids ! :waytogo:
Come on Rusty I'm disappointed that you didn't put a music video in this post. You're slacking man! ;)

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Well, I like playin videos. Sometimes I get reminded of some song??
i still got that elton john ship in my head but was listening to Public Enemy earlier.

Apocalypse '91 - The Enemy Strikes Black

Ever heard it? Pretty good. Ya know that's a live band and them dudes are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
It's true. They've been makin records since 1986!
They got this much newer album I was checkin out... I'll hook you up. ;)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Shouldn't he hook vacuum advance to front carb vacuum fitting? That's where Mines hooked up. Manifold vacuum is constant right? Where carb vacuum increases with rpm increase. I might be wrong about this tho. If I am continue and ignore me. Lol
Yes manifold vacuum is constant. For decades. Manufacturers used manifold vacuum for vacuum advance. Using manifold vacuum was the way to do it before emissions became a problem. If you use ported vacuum at idle you won't have any vacuum advance at idle,manifold vacuum and ported vacuum match after you are out of idle,so you don't get more vacuum from a ported source than a manifold source,just manifold you get more at idle. Cars will normally idle better and the throttle plates can be closed further at idle using a manifold vacuum source. Ported lights the charge late at idle so the charge finishes burning in the exhaust,so it cleans up exhaust emissions. Which is also why I tell people to retard their timing if they are having problems passing emission tests. P.S your carbureator also uses manifold vacuum to sense load,the further you are in the throttle,the less vacuum you have,so vacuum advance goes away due to low vacuum and your carbureator starts adding fuel,this is how vacuum leaks can make you run rich and kill your gas milage.

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Yes manifold vacuum is constant. For decades. Manufacturers used manifold vacuum for vacuum advance. Using manifold vacuum was the way to do it before emissions became a problem. If you use ported vacuum at idle you won't have any vacuum advance at idle,manifold vacuum and ported vacuum match after you are out of idle,so you don't get more vacuum from a ported source than a manifold source,just ported you get more at idle. Cars will normally idle better and the throttle plates can be closed further at idle using a manifold vacuum source. Ported lights the charge late at idle so the charge finishes burning in the exhaust,so it cleans up exhaust emissions. Which is also why I tell people to retard their timing if they are having problems passing emission tests. P.S your carbureator also uses manifold vacuum to sense load,the further you are in the throttle,the less vacuum you have,so vacuum advance goes away due to low vacuum and your carbureator starts adding fuel,this is how vacuum leaks can make you run rich and kill your gas milage.
Learned me something today. Thanks for the clarification.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I worded that wrong,I hope you saw my mistake. I already edited it. You get the same amount of vacuum with ported or manifold once you are out of idle. But manifold gives you more timing at idle.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The early quadrajets that used the thermostatic spring for the choke operation have the manifold vacuum in the spot he has it hooked up at. That is the correct location. When they went to the hot air choke in ~78, you end up with the big choke piece on the side that covers up that port and is used to draw the air through the choke system to heat up the spring. That is when they added the manifold port on the front of the carb and routed it through a TVS on the thermostat housing.

Quinn_Hanifan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quinn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes manifold vacuum is constant. For decades. Manufacturers used manifold vacuum for vacuum advance. Using manifold vacuum was the way to do it before emissions became a problem. If you use ported vacuum at idle you won't have any vacuum advance at idle,manifold vacuum and ported vacuum match after you are out of idle,so you don't get more vacuum from a ported source than a manifold source,just manifold you get more at idle. Cars will normally idle better and the throttle plates can be closed further at idle using a manifold vacuum source. Ported lights the charge late at idle so the charge finishes burning in the exhaust,so it cleans up exhaust emissions. Which is also why I tell people to retard their timing if they are having problems passing emission tests. P.S your carbureator also uses manifold vacuum to sense load,the further you are in the throttle,the less vacuum you have,so vacuum advance goes away due to low vacuum and your carbureator starts adding fuel,this is how vacuum leaks can make you run rich and kill your gas milage.
i think im starting to understand this better! lol

Quinn_Hanifan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quinn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
PLEASE HELP I GOT AHEAD OF MYSELF AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO LOL

okays so i was feeling all dandy and was like imma do my brakes cause they suck and they need replacing and so ive got the parts and i didn’t realize that the rotor on the truck was a rotor and hub and now i have no hub. Looked around and i cant find anything and mostly cause i have no clue what im doing. I mean i watched some videos but seriously i wasnt expecting this and i was stupid and didnt look at it first. Here are the new rotors i got and heres the olds with hub
I did do some research about the new rotors though and ive heard these were good so i got them

New rotors
Link^

Old rotor/hub
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpeg
    IMG_1052.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 2

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305

Post this in this forum so more people will see it. I can't really help you with this because I've never replaced them. But somebody else will help you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef