Double Dingo's 1965 3/4 Ton "Crusty Biscuit"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Thank you. It's been a rough one, but we're doing okay. She lived to be 95, survived The Depression, Grandpa survived The Depression and WWII. While he was in WWII she worked at Mars in Chicago. After he got back to the states they started anew in 1946. They farmed in Missouri, moved to California in 1960, where he mined, was a reserve sheriff, and they owned a few businesses & ran two of them. She retired shortly after grandpa passed in 1987, got remarried a few years later and buried him in 2004. She never stopped working, though, was always on the move whether it was cooking, cleaning, gardening, crocheting, you name it, she did it. Even at 80 she was lugging around 5 gallon buckets of rocks for the flower beds. She truly lived a full life.
I'm glad to hear it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Got it back together today. There is a temporary change of plans regarding the ranger/sm420. It'll be going in, but in about two weeks. Buying the 292 took my driveshaft shortening money, that, and I need Crusty for the 12 hour round trip to pick up the 292 next week.

Took advantage of it being apart, though. Swapped in new spark plugs. Then built my very first set of cut-to-fit Pertronix spark plug wires. I felt a huge feeling of satisfaction after building those wires. Once I got the hang of it, I wondered why I never tried this previously. I don't see myself getting pre-made spark plug wires again. It was actually fun figuring out the routing and lengths, and then completing each wire.

These are the only photos of this weekend's work to the truck.

Sadly, I did discover that the core support repair caused it to warp a little. Had to get creative to get to bolt it up, along with the other front end sheet metal pieces.

Spark plug wires. Never have to worry about any of them getting burned up by the exhaust.
You must be registered for see images attach

After firing it up to burp the cooling system, I readjusted the carburetor. Now the exhaust smells way less rich, and it idles at a steady 17.

11 hours out in the sun today, I'm whooped. Good night.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Last night I rotated the tires and packed the wheel bearing. Well not like they need to be, but better than nothing until I can after getting back from picking up the 292. I still need to grease the suspension and u-joints since it will be 110* by the time we get there. I want everything lubed and tightened and inspected before leaving. Good thing the 7-75 (two kick panel vents/two vent windows/two windows/one rear window) air conditioning works...lol...

After replacing the support mounts and tightening bolts, the front sheet metal sounds a lot more solid. But now other sounds can be heard, so those will need to be addressed too.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Just catching up on your posts.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sounds like she certainly did live life to the fullest.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank you Roger. If we all had her attitude, this world would be a happy place. She always had a spring in her step and a laugh or fun comment. Never held a grudge, just trudged on no matter what was going on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cut to fit plug wires are often a time consuming bitch to install... but I always end up buying them, lol. The results are hard to beat.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Cut to fit plug wires are often a time consuming bitch to install... but I always end up buying them, lol. The results are hard to beat.

Yeah it took me roughly two hours with crawling under the truck, routing, crawling into the engine bay, back out, back under to route and install. But yeah, the finished product is far superior. On the upside, the next time I have to do this I'll already have 8 templates to use so it will go much faster. Well, until I have to replace the wires on the '81, because those haven't been done as cut-to-fit yet...lol...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I was going to let it slide, but I decided to let Big Brand Tire know that I want them to pay to repair Crusty Biscuit. They called me back and emailed me during lunch. I need to get in contact with them and get the ball rolling. Have never had to do this before, but I figure that I didn't ask for them to damage my truck, so they should pay to fix it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
The guy made a cool crate for the 292 to sit on. Upon looking at it closer, I can install a starter, check compression, then add some extra stuff to keep the engine from twisting over the crate, and run it on the crate. Found an HEI for it too. Did some scraping this afternoon. Appears to have all the stock items on it.

This is it for now. More cleaning coming up. I'm going to dig out my old '65 two barrel carb to see if it may bolt on.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Have checked the casting and stamped numbers and it is a 1966 engine. The last two nights I took some purple power to it. I still need to remove brackets, coil, distributor, intake and exhaust manifolds so I can clean more of it, but it's cleaned up nicely thus far. The head has lots of curves to it where the sparks plugs go, so the head will be more time consuming. I am going to pour some MMO or ATF in the cylinders and maybe on top of the valves a day before doing the compression check.

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but I did find an HEI distributor for it off craigslist, will be making that payment on Friday. Tomorrow or Friday I'll be getting a compression gauge.

Here's the latest pics of the engine...

From what I've read, Alpine Green/Detroit Diesel Green is the color of the engine, so I need to get some cans of that so I can get things painted up after it's all been cleaned real good.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I was going to let it slide, but I decided to let Big Brand Tire know that I want them to pay to repair Crusty Biscuit. They called me back and emailed me during lunch. I need to get in contact with them and get the ball rolling. Have never had to do this before, but I figure that I didn't ask for them to damage my truck, so they should pay to fix it.
Im late to the gig.... what did big tire do to your truck???

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Since it has an A/C bracket are you going to add it? If not, here's an idea for an air compressor.

https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/york_compressor.shtml

He gave me the compressor for the AC and it looks just like that one. The guy was way cool. He gave me extra parts and pieces that he wasn't going to need anymore. We said goodbye about 4 times, and then another part was added to the mix...lol... Pop was out of beer and ready to go...lol... Glad I asked about certain things like the throttle linkage because I didn't know the 6 cylinder trucks had a shorter flat bar on the linkage. I also didn't know that the 292 passenger side frame mount is shorter. I knew that mount had to be moved forward, but not that it's completely different mount, so he threw that in too. I told him I had the v8 frame mount and carb linkage for the v8 too, and had I known he needed them I could have brought them down.

Another thing he had, were two immaculate rigs in his garage. A 62 suburban that was absolutely perfect, and all he had to do was buff out the paint. He also had a 38 Chevy truck with a blue flame engine in it. The '66 C20 that the engine came out of was a cool rig too. And the literature, holy crap! Books upon books on these old trucks from the 30's through the 70's, with part numbers, illustrations, shop manuals, assembly manuals, you name it he had it. I told my wife I wish I could have stayed there longer to go through the books.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave