Double Dingo's 1965 3/4 Ton "Crusty Biscuit"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Got to looking at my collection of parts tonight to gear up for some upgrades.

They're going in a tote for easy access. This is what I've put in there or set aside to be put into service.

Tote of goodies...
You must be registered for see images attach

May not use the steering wheel but long trips are much easier on the hands than the old one.

The power steering is going in, so I'm going to run the old wheel with power steering, and a wheelskins steering wheel cover and see how that helps. I never did long trips with old steering wheels until I got this truck. After a few hours the hands get hot for some reason. Bigger diameter steering wheels don't do that.

Need to replace the radiator core support, because I think this one is rust corroded and crumbling. I have two factory replacements, I think one is straight enough to use. The support mounts will get replaced while it's apart, as well as the top and bottom cradles for the 4 row radiator so I can have guaranteed reliable cooling of the engine.

Since I'll be that far in and power steering is going in, I'll install sway bar too for better cornering

Forgot I had these to install.

Got some more totes and boxes to go through, so stay tuned.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
It is. Finding stuff you were looking for, finding stuff you forgot you had, finding stuff that can be used to build another truck. Old Crusty is going to become a completely different truck in how it drives and operates. As much as I want to keep it factory, it's time for a change, and luckily it's all period correct except for the Ranger Overdrive, but that will just add a cool-factor to it along with better function and smiles per gallon :)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yesterday I dug out the two extra core supports. Not going to use them right now. They are bent, so I will just have the existing one repaired. It'll allow much easier to get to the areas I need to access, making the other work I need to do, easier as well.

Crusty is going out of commission for a little while starting today.

While the good support is out I'll make a template for the future repairs to make another one out of the other two.

This is the one from Mean Green. Remember I rolled that truck.

This is the one I'll use as the base of the future repairs, as it is in better condition than the other one.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
This is the other one from the yellow truck. They really beat the living hell out of that truck! Surprisingly the cab, bed and driver's side fender is straight on that truck. But that's it, the rest is bent up badly.

This core support still has some useable stuff on it, though.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lots of spiderwebs. I hate spiders.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lots of spiderwebs. I hate spiders.

They're mostly harmless Daddy-Longlegs. I used to hate spiders, and then I realized the numbers dwindling, not just them, but every insect. I haven't sprayed chemicals on my property for over a decade, yet the numbers of all the good bugs is to the point that the bad bugs like cockroaches, and earwigs have flourished. So I like seeing spiders, they help rid my property of the bad bugs.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There must be different varieties of daddy longlegs. The ones in my area don't really make webs that I've seen. The thicker webs are usually from wolf spiders. I really don't like wolf spiders. I'm fine with daddy longlegs, I always leave them be. It's just all the other ones, lol

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's crazy, daddly long legs will coexist with black widows. So the thicker webs is most likely from the black widows. It's like the black widows with their much bigger bodies leave the daddy long legs alone. I don't know if it's because they appear larger due to their legs being longer? But the the daddy long legs don't have to worry about black widows bothering them, and vice versa. There are a bunch little jumping spiders in the yard right now, those dudes are cool. Saw some on Saturday taking down flies by grabbing them from the back end, then dragging their prize across the yard to a safe place to chow down. The wasps like to harvest the little jumpers, and then someone kills the wasp nest, so I kill the wasps when I can. Oddly enough I haven't had a wasp nest in my yard or in the shrubs for about as long I stopped using chemicals in the yard. We used to have really big black jumpers, they get as big as the tip of your thumb. Those are really cool, they'll look at you with as much curiosity as you look at them. When I see the big jumpers I get excited because they are ground pounders, they cover a lot of ground. You can see one by the house, then later you'll see it near the back fence, or up in the tree. They don't mess around. Wolf spiders get big, and are FAST!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I lied, Crusty isn't out of commission yet. Had to drive it yesterday, and this morning I took it to the guy that did my exhaust work. I know he's done body repair before, so I stopped by to ask him if I brought in the core support, if he'd repair it for me. After explaining it would be, cut a piece out, weld a piece in, He said, "It shouldn't be a problem". Sure hoping it'll be an easy fix like I explained to him. Now that I have him in line to do my core support, I can dismantle the front end and get some stuff taken care of. We'll see together what kind of rust damage is lurking under the battery tray area of the core support. It's more of the bottom that's rusted out from what I've seen crawling around underneath. On Sunday I found the carriage bolts I bought for that a while back, just need to find the material they used in between the support, washers, and frame mounts. I have no idea what it's made of....as I wrote that I decided to go to LMC, and I see they now have the pads for $5.95, too bad shipping will be more than the pieces, but they'll be new. I may have to get some tailgate chain accessories to justify the shipping charges.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Didn't go through LMC, went with a small business instead. 4-5-6 Chevy out of Kansas City, Kansas. They had the whole kit for the radiator core support to frame mounts for $50, shipping included in the price.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just got this shift knob in the mail today. I'll rock this one for a while until I can get the 8 Ball figured out. Having this one will help get the correct insert for the 8 Ball.
Then I can switch them as I see fit. Hoping to get this one to clean up some, if not, no biggie, I kinda like the worn look too.

SM420 Shift Knob....

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Took a little longer than I wanted to get everything moved around, flat tire, dead batteries, etc. But Crusty is where it'll sit for a few weeks.

Gearing up for tear down...

This where I stopped today....

The nuts came off with no problems, which is surprising. Getting the bolts to move and removing the washers was not happening, so I put everything away and now grilling dinner.

Driver's side...

Passenger's side is rusted and crumbly. Taking that in on Monday for repairs.

Big old sirloin!

Yummmm

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Success! Time to run some errands. Then take the grill filler panel off the core support.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Errands are done, a nice cool day indeed :happy175:

Only 100 in the shade on the patio. Back to it.:893Chainsaw-Smilie- :buffer:

But this time around with a beverage of sorts...:drink_nl:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boukeelynn