Dome/Cargo/Courtesy Light Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
@Ellie Niner,

Maybe that's the reason why my dome light won't work is because I keep attaching it to the wrong wire, and can't figure out why it won't when I put a volt meter to both the orange wire and the white wire and both are hot, but I'm even more confused when I turn the headlight switch on to courtesy and for some reason it still won't work, or...and that's when my brain explodes and I have to quit.
Yep, it can be a little confusing, as the white wire *will* show hot when it's not being grounded through one of the switches... the power flows through the bulb filaments to the white wire when it's just floating there with no connection to ground. If you pulled all the bulbs out of the dome light circuit, it wouldn't show as being hot.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Uh ok.
And fwiw, the white wires are ground not power.
Courtesy/dome lights are hot all the time and completion of the ground circuit via the headlight switch or door jamb switches turns them on.

See, I’m back in the fast lane because no one gaf about rusty bumper paint in an electrical discussion…..

Edit, sorry Ellie, I see you already got this back on track
I mean, I dont often like to bloat but even tho I am near sighted at least I can rest easy knowing my eye sight isnt so bad when you stop and think about it.
With a mild squint its pretty much 20/20 and I havent bothered updating my perscription in a few years and its crystal clear. But again, it aint so bad. Considering how much brain rot I stared at when younger with little distance exercising I am surprised its not so bad. And with how hard and sad things can be, yet, in the end, it aint so bad.

Not at all.

Thats all right. Sure wish had some momentary blindness for certain things but wouldnt dare wish that. Some people are masters at selective blindness, but im not sure thats something I should want to have or aspire to attain.

Nah, its okay as it is. And thats fine :)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Ellie Niner,

Maybe that's the reason why my dome light won't work is because I keep attaching it to the wrong wire, and can't figure out why it won't when I put a volt meter to both the orange wire and the white wire and both are hot, but I'm even more confused when I turn the headlight switch on to courtesy and for some reason it still won't work, or...and that's when my brain explodes and I have to quit.
Find that wiring diagram I posted multiple times on here. And then work methodically tracing wires.
@Ellie Niner, that makes sense. I believe?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I mean, I dont often like to bloat but even tho I am near sighted at least I can rest easy knowing my eye sight isnt so bad when you stop and think about it.
With a mild squint its pretty much 20/20 and I havent bothered updating my perscription in a few years and its crystal clear. But again, it aint so bad. Considering how much brain rot I stared at when younger with little distance exercising I am surprised its not so bad. And with how hard and sad things can be, yet, in the end, it aint so bad.

Not at all.

Thats all right. Sure wish had some momentary blindness for certain things but wouldnt dare wish that. Some people are masters at selective blindness, but im not sure thats something I should want to have or aspire to attain.

Nah, its okay as it is. And thats fine :)
Not even going to pretend I understand what this has to do with dome lights…back in the slow lane for me.
And the word you were looking for is gloat. Bloat conjures up some unattractive images…cheers!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Not even going to pretend I understand what this has to do with dome lights…back in the slow lane for me.
And the word you were looking for is gloat. Bloat conjures up some unattractive images…cheers!
That. It. Does, Grit Dog. That. It. Does.

I feel like you would be the guy to inadvertenly own a set of tool boxes off an old f series contractor special.
and probably dont even know it.

Attachments

• 1970_ford_f-100_1617909190c4a33baaa-13.jpg
    1970_ford_f-100_1617909190c4a33baaa-13.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 67

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
Thought I'd learn something towards my electric issues but this thread made me laugh, thank you slo lane

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I bumped an old thread I started last year for the OP or whoever is having issues.
P2 and 3 have wiring diagrams and body builder diagrams and some explanation that may help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne