Dome/Cargo/Courtesy Light Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Too funny. Yes OCD has its plus side.
i invite thee to come spruce up old ironhip a bit
You must be registered for see images attach

Im the kind of person that would get motivated to paint it

not want to take much off to prepare
then end up with a solid color that is all over, and rubber stuff just on its own in that regard.
yeah... that PO likedJDgreen so much the th350 and the 350 got to be a poor color matched shade of non engine paint jd green LOL

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
i invite thee to come spruce up old ironhip a bit

Im the kind of person that would get motivated to paint it

not want to take much off to prepare
then end up with a solid color that is all over, and rubber stuff just on its own in that regard.
yeah... that PO likedJDgreen so much the th350 and the 350 got to be a poor color matched shade of non engine paint jd green LOL
There is so much going on in that first pic...at least the engine is clean.
Yeah someone has a john deere obsession.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
There is so much going on in that first pic...at least the engine is clean.
Yeah someone has a john deere obsession.
i like john deere yellow
oh dear god imagine if i did that with no prep and no prisoners
all in

Yall wake up to a thread tomorrow "Yellow farm implement and hardener dont mix well with __ or break ____ when painted"

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
i like john deere yellow
oh dear god imagine if i did that with no prep and no prisoners
all in

Yall wake up to a thread tomorrow "Yellow farm implement and hardener dont mix well with __ or break ____ when painted"
I saw implement paint at Tractor Supply a month or so ago.
They had the popular colors; JD, Ford, Caterpillar, Kubota...
Not sure if I'd paint my truck with it but you can try.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I saw implement paint at Tractor Supply a month or so ago.
They had the popular colors; JD, Ford, Caterpillar, Kubota...
Not sure if I'd paint my truck with it but you can try.
oh you definitely can, but i was talking the same kind of effort the JD green went on the SBC. but JD yellow. And everything

heres implememt gloss black and hardener on the bumper(which had rusty metal primer)

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
oh you definitely can, but i was talking the same kind of effort the JD green went on the SBC. but JD yellow. And everyth
heres implememt gloss black and hardener on the bumper(which had rusty metal primer)
Gotcha. Not sure what the bumper looked like before but if it was like the rest of the truck it covers well.
I guess the test is how long it stays that way.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dome lights? Or John Deere green? Trying to remember wha the thread was about…

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Gotcha. Not sure what the bumper looked like before but if it was like the rest of the truck it covers well.
I guess the test is how long it stays that way.

it was a little more rusty, by that i mean it was way more crusty at least, than this photo, where it was parked for a while it got some buildup and moisture held on it i think

Not bad for a 2 minute prep attempt, a coat of primer i was trying to use up from my outdoor metal peasant i was painting for my gma to make it nice and smooth, i made to much primer lol so I rolled it on the bumper and then next day when i painted i made way too much for the peasant, did the bumper, and then the door to the shed because holy crap i cant size any amount of paint for the life of me.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know I won't get this in the right perspective but if you will look under the dash at the courtesy light hosing you will find that there are about three or four white wires going to it. I was putting in a light in my glove box that would come on when you opened the door. So I put the ground wire on the door and sanded lightly a spot on the frame so when the ground tab touched it it would make and the light would come on.
Then for power I tied into one of those white wires that runs under the glove box thinking, "I know those a hot all the time so that will work.
All was fine until night came and I needed something out of the glove box and not thinking I turned the courtesy light on and opened the glove box and the light wouldn't come on.
Next day I got my blown up schematic to see what it was. The courtesy light cuts out the door jam switch power because the door jam lights don't need to work whern the doors are closed. And that white wire I tied into is a door jam wire. I turned the courtesy light on and the power was cut to the glove box light I had put in. Had I left the courtesy light off the glove box light would work.
So when you open the door all the interior lights come on but with the doors closed the cortesy light must be turned on with the headlight switch. Make sense? No.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I know I won't get this in the right perspective but if you will look under the dash at the courtesy light hosing you will find that there are about three or four white wires going to it. I was putting in a light in my glove box that would come on when you opened the door. So I put the ground wire on the door and sanded lightly a spot on the frame so when the ground tab touched it it would make and the light would come on.
Then for power I tied into one of those white wires that runs under the glove box thinking, "I know those a hot all the time so that will work.
All was fine until night came and I needed something out of the glove box and not thinking I turned the courtesy light on and opened the glove box and the light wouldn't come on.
Next day I got my blown up schematic to see what it was. The courtesy light cuts out the door jam switch power because the door jam lights don't need to work whern the doors are closed. And that white wire I tied into is a door jam wire. I turned the courtesy light on and the power was cut to the glove box light I had put in. Had I left the courtesy light off the glove box light would work.
So when you open the door all the interior lights come on but with the doors closed the cortesy light must be turned on with the headlight switch. Make sense? No.
I mean it makes sense because that’s what happens snd how most cars I think do it.
I don’t recall white wires but I remember the one chopped out of the 77 had a couple orange, one that had a black tracer. A grey. One bulb went to radio, and then taped together and run across the sheet metal on dash to its sourcing for power l think

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
The dome/courtesy light circuit works backwards from most of the other circuits in the truck; the orange is the hot wire, and is hot all the time. The white wire(s) is/are an open circuit until either of the door switches or the headlight switch creates a path to ground. You would need to connect your glove box light to the orange wire instead of the white wire, then have it ground itself to turn on.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I mean it makes sense because that’s what happens snd how most cars I think do it.
I don’t recall white wires but I remember the one chopped out of the 77 had a couple orange, one that had a black tracer. A grey. One bulb went to radio, and then taped together and run across the sheet metal on dash to its sourcing for power l think
Uh ok.
And fwiw, the white wires are ground not power.
Courtesy/dome lights are hot all the time and completion of the ground circuit via the headlight switch or door jamb switches turns them on.

See, I’m back in the fast lane because no one gaf about rusty bumper paint in an electrical discussion…..

Edit, sorry Ellie, I see you already got this back on track

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Now I understand, and that makes sense about going to ground when the switch is turned on. I'll reattach it glove box light to the orange one that's down there. Thanks.@AuroraGirl@Ellie Niner, @Grit dog

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Ellie Niner,

Maybe that's the reason why my dome light won't work is because I keep attaching it to the wrong wire, and can't figure out why it won't when I put a volt meter to both the orange wire and the white wire and both are hot, but I'm even more confused when I turn the headlight switch on to courtesy and for some reason it still won't work, or...and that's when my brain explodes and I have to quit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128