Difference between stock air cleaner and aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Hi, I think or hope I'm replying to Craig85. where did you get that hose material for your intake? I need to do this on my 81 3&3. looks like you were able to keep your stock cleaner and the hose material was easy to mold around it.

My truck was missing the snorkel, so based off LMC's catalog I ordered one for an 81-86. It turns out the one they sell is for small blocks. The tube I used is a Summit Racing brand #SUM-294015. I cut the core support end off the LMC snorkel tube and slid on the Summit piece. Of course after I did this, I found the GM part number for 454 trucks, GM 14024596, which is still available from GM for about $40 (link #2, part #3 in diagram).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-294015/overview/

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=426076&ukey_product=2680024

Fortarel

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500 3+3
Engine Size
boy, thanks a bunch!! I've been scrambling around trying to find a solution. Been fighting vapor lock in the carb - combination of load, high altitude and poor gas quality. Also thanks for the links and part numbers!

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I had that issue on some days here in Arkansas.

The snorkel, and heat wrap on fuel lines have solved both times I suffered vapor lock.

You can see how tucked my exhaust is in some of my pics, heat wrap solved that on my TBI. Real close to lines, and filter.

On my old Suburban with a carb, the snorkel alone was the answer. I was boiling in the carb.

These were not daily occurrences by any means(more often TBI). But often enough to annoy.
Does anyone know where these vacuum lines go? I assume this is for the heat riser valve to open and close, but It isn't connected. The other vacuum line on the air cleaner itself is just routed back into the snorkel from the bottom, but the other one comes from the bottom and doesn't go anywhere. It seems to match up with this other open ended vacuum line. I tested it while running and didn't feel any suction on the line going into the engine. Are these two supposed to connect? What do they do?

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
One vacuum line goes from the vacuum motor on the snorkel to the temperature sensor on the bottom of air cleaner. The other line goes from the temperature sensor to manifold vacuum. A manifold vacuum port on carburetor will have vacuum at idle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL