cold air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Good sound advice right here... Filters are for sissies. While you're at it, next time you're engine is running, grab the fan belt. I'll bet it works out pretty similar for your fingers.

Smart ass.

You must be registered for see images attach

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Thanks! notice any top end power increase?

My truck is more of a tractor than a race car so top end power is lost on me. The butt dyno says it's better but so does a good wash and wax.:hahano: You could find out for yourself if this would help by simply taking your air cleaner off and going for a hot lap. No restriction to air flow at all.

The engine is only going to inhale what air it can. With mine, the bottleneck is still the stock throttle body and factory prom. It would be great to unlock 10 hp with such a simple mod but the air cleaner is just one small piece of the pie.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My truck is more of a tractor than a race car so top end power is lost on me. The butt dyno says it's better but so does a good wash and wax.:hahano: You could find out for yourself if this would help by simply taking your air cleaner off and going for a hot lap. No restriction to air flow at all.

The engine is only going to inhale what air it can. With mine, the bottleneck is still the stock throttle body and factory prom. It would be great to unlock 10 hp with such a simple mod but the air cleaner is just one small piece of the pie.

An air cleaner lid from a 6.2 or 86 ish 350 is taller, and uses something like a 6 inch tall element...i dont know if it will fit the TBI assembly though. i usually recommend a larger paper filter befor those **** K&n or accel filters, but more filter area is always good.
Stock SBC TBI is only around 450 cfm, the BB is around 670, but its useless unless you port the manifold to match.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Fantastic job on that dual inlet air cleaner housing, and thanks for sharing the photos.

Like you, mine's also just a hauler, so squeezing more torque out of it would be nice.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Fantastic job on that dual inlet air cleaner housing, and thanks for sharing the photos.

Like you, mine's also just a hauler, so squeezing more torque out of it would be nice.

Gasket match the intake to the heads, and do the same to the exhaust ports, get the larger 2" ported throttle body, as well as porting the barrels in the intake to match, and that baby will wake up a little.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Where do the 2" ported throttle bodies come from? Do they adversely affect mileage?

I put an Edelbrock intake on it just over a year ago, but didn't do any gasket matching.

It's always gotten excellent mileage, both towing and empty, so any modding I do, I want to keep that into consideration. It's got plenty of power for what we do, and I enjoy milking 15mpg out of it towing at 55mph, and 17ish empty....with both a/c units running.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Where do the 2" ported throttle bodies come from? Do they adversely affect mileage?

I put an Edelbrock intake on it just over a year ago, but didn't do any gasket matching.

It's always gotten excellent mileage, both towing and empty, so any modding I do, I want to keep that into consideration. It's got plenty of power for what we do, and I enjoy milking 15mpg out of it towing at 55mph, and 17ish empty....with both a/c units running.

You can get them from cfm-tech, or from a 454. even with your stock one, the gasket matching will only help.
The Eddy manifold is a good upgrade, designed alot better than stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar