cold air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr87

Reaction score
First Name
Jerrit
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've been searching around for an air intake kit that would fit my 1987 gmc sierra r1500. It has a 350 5.7 TBI. The earliest year i could find on K&N was 1988. Has anyone done this or can anyone refer me to an actual kit that should work for my truck and engine?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Are you talking about the stock snorkel that connects to the hole in the radiator support or some kind of aftermarket "performance" system?

Mr87

Reaction score
First Name
Jerrit
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
yeah I'm looking for an aftermarket performance air intake

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The best cold air intake you can get, is the stock GM air cleaner. anything else is a waste of money.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
2 X that.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
I like to call cold air intakes hot air intakes...LOL.

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
The only company that seems to make a true cold air intake is Volant.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
you can make your own, Get a 2 snorkle air horn from spectre, 2 air intake hoses, and 2 air intake cones. Mount them wherever, and wala cold air intake. probly around 300$ total.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/i...r-dominator-dual-inlet-polished-aluminum.html
You must be registered for see images

http://www.spectreperformance.com/i...omponents/air-duct-hose-black-4-diameter.html

http://www.spectreperformance.com/i...headlight-funnel-rectangular-abs-4-inlet.html

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can't beat a stock air cleaner. They sell kits for modern cars because a lot of them have restrictive intake duct work from the factory. And because they can make money by selling them. In reality, most do nothing at all.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
you can make your own, Get a 2 snorkle air horn from spectre, 2 air intake hoses, and 2 air intake cones. Mount them wherever, and wala cold air intake. probly around 300$ total.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/i...r-dominator-dual-inlet-polished-aluminum.html

http://www.spectreperformance.com/i...omponents/air-duct-hose-black-4-diameter.html

http://www.spectreperformance.com/i...headlight-funnel-rectangular-abs-4-inlet.html

Good sound advice right here... Filters are for sissies. While you're at it, next time you're engine is running, grab the fan belt. I'll bet it works out pretty similar for your fingers.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Seriously, if you want a good "cold air" system, build a box that houses a traditional round filter. Seal it to the bottom of the hood, and to the firewall. Make sure to leave enough space to allow for engine movement. Now cut into the wiper cowl under the hood to allow fresh air into your completely sealed box. No gaudy hoses ran all over the place, and no chance of getting hot underhood air sucked down your intake.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
This took a couple of days and around $25 to make. It provides more air than the intake needs, has an AC Delco filter, and still passes Cali's smog check.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This took a couple of days and around $25 to make. It provides more air than the intake needs, has an AC Delco filter, and still passes Cali's smog check.

Closer pics and more info please! That's awesome! I want to make one no more hot air

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
My original thought was to graft a second snorkel onto the housing but with it flipped upside down, that way it would be a symmetrical mirror image of the original. The problem with that is the curve of the snorkel would run the flexible hose right into the master cylinder. By keeping it right side up I was able to get the necessary clearance, it just doesn't look as nice when you open the hood.

The tbi tac (thermostatic air control) door in the snorkel is the issue. When it's closed no air gets through, and even when it's open there are obstructions.

Looking at the housing you can see the snorkel is just a flange tack welded to the base.

I sourced a complete second housing and flexi hose for $10 and removed the snorkel by cutting around the flange wih a die grinder. The tac assy was removed and a flat plate was installed to cover the holes. Some grease was applied to the face of the flange and then pressed against the housing to give me a pattern for the hole to be cut with the die grinder. Four screws and some JB Weld hold it together. I wanted to weld the snorkel on but all I had was oxy/acetylene and it started to distort the metal so I stopped after a couple of tacks were done. Some more JB was used on the bottom of the snorkel where the plate is for a smooth look.

Notice the center opening of the housing above has been enlarged. That was done for the tbi-specific salad bowl mod which eliminates the restrictive choke collar around the throttle body.

Lots of air flow now.

The flexi hose was attached to some sections of 4" abs pipe that was mounted to the radiator support. Some more JB, sanding, and paint was done on the abs so it wouldn't look so cheasy.

Looking through the grill, the new intake gets plenty of fresh air but is tucked behind a headlight so bugs and rain don't have a straight shot at it.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks! notice any to end power increase?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk