Anyone used the old ash tray for something (else) that's interesting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
my ash trays are always full of change kinda like a small emergency stash of cash

a cash tray

that's every ash tray my old man has ever had in a vehicle lol. anything from singles to 5's and change. Although he smokes and still uses them too, kinda makes the money nasty to mess with lol.

I've seen guys mount a gauge in thee before.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am thinking about sticking my tach in that spot

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Occasionally, while making a repair or testing a transmission, I need to refer to a tachometer. But unless it is incorporated into the original instrument cluster, I don't want to see one in the cab.

Any mounting I've ever seen looks out of place and makes the owner seem like a wannabe drag racer.

This is the ashtray part:

If you like to watch your RPM's and are looking for a place to mount a tach (but don't want to alter the stock layout of the cab) , consider pulling the ashtray and mounting one on the backside of the door.

Sunpro makes a nice tach with a 2 5/8" dial that should fit perfectly.

Open the ashtray door to monitor RPM's and flip it closed when done.

I am thinking about sticking my tach in that spot

This was a spot I had considered when I was in the process of putting my tach somewhere. At the time it seemed like I would either have it open all the time to see it, and/or it was just a inconvenient place to reach for and look at for my RPM's as I am rolling down the road. I am actually using the small SunPro now, it is at the bottom of my dash, and admittedly not the best location either. Maybe I will dismount it and see how it would do in the ash tray location.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sunpro makes a nice tach with a 2 5/8" dial that should fit perfectly.

They do make a nice 2 5/8 tach, but you will need to modify the top portion of the stock door. I tried fitting mine there, so close, but no banana. If you don't mind modifying yours, it will work very nicely!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
How about Autometer's 2 1/16" in-dash:

You must be registered for see images attach

You would have to fabricate a bezel to mount it through - but it would look sharp.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How about Autometer's 2 1/16" in-dash:

You must be registered for see images attach

You would have to fabricate a bezel to mount it through - but it would look sharp.

That would probably fit perfect. I almost got that one instead of the SunPro because I was thinking about putting it in the blank spot of my cluster. Just as I was about to order it, I found a tach cluster that I ended up getting. I still wanted a tach until I got the tach cluster ready, so I bought the $30 SunPro, instead of the $100+ Autometer.

That Autometer is almost perfect. Only goes to 5k RPM's, which is all I need, and the font is almost identical to my '79.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
HA - I had no idea they went for that kind of $$$.

Guess we can cross that off my wish list.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
This is making me want to do some cool stuff with my ash tray! I like the on posted with the USB port in there :popcorn: I wonder if my radio could be modded to accept tunes from a USB??? :popcorn:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
wonder if my radio could be modded to accept tunes from a USB???

I see one of my boys do this all the time. Never really paid too much attention but I think he just cuts into the lines before the amp and solders in a USB pigtail.

Don't quote me - I'll check.

I checked, what he has been doing is splicing in a connector that accepts the output from an Ipod/Iphone. Is that what you want to do?

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
I put my glock 21 in it...fits snug dosent move anound its in a uncle mikes soft holster..ive seen that cup holder thing that would be nice. Im always spilling soda on my seat

Arrover

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Crew Cab K3500
Engine Size
I don't smoke so I cut the upper screen type thing and the little hook in the lower corner out of the ash tray. Then I sprayed the inside and the part of the outside that you see with Plastidip. It makes a great place for my iphone (or whatever). Plastidip is a very cool removable rubber coating. It's pretty amazing stuff. People are coating whole cars with it now. Anyway, I think the spray cans are around $8 at Lowes.

Attachments

• IMG_3707%20(Small).JPG
    IMG_3707%20(Small).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 165
  • ashtray%20(Small).JPG
    ashtray%20(Small).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_5277%20(Small).JPG
    IMG_5277%20(Small).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 182

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't smoke so I cut the upper screen type thing and the little hook in the lower corner out of the ash tray. Then I sprayed the inside and the part of the outside that you see with Plastidip. It makes a great place for my iphone (or whatever). Plastidip is a very cool removable rubber coating. It's pretty amazing stuff. People are coating whole cars with it now. Anyway, I think the spray cans are around $8 at Lowes.

Good job

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Older post but a backup camera or navigation system would be cool here also. I plan on ordering the cup holder from lmc also to help keep my junk dry.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
These are some neat ideas! I like the hidden tach option. Although, my tray won't stay closed and hangs a lot lower than it should. I'd consider using black duct tape to tape it close. I don't have a use for it anyways.

jt1200r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3/th400/3.08
you need the spring reinstalled on the side

Latest posts