Adding relays to headlights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Is there a good step by step diy or a wiring diagram for adding relays to the headlights of an 86 K10? I've done it on another truck and the difference in headlight brightness is huge.

Thanks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If you can get on a computer and search the forum there is a thread about it and plenty of diagrams. I'd link ya to it if I wasn't stuck on this Tapatalk mobile ********.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I bought a "headlight brightener" relay kit from these guys. 15-minute install because I took my time and loomed the wiring. No changes to existing wiring (it plugs onto the lamps, and plugs into the existing headlight socket). Ceramic headlight sockets for high-temp bulbs. Quality unit. $25. I have had it on for three years or so with no issues at all.

About 1/5 of the way down this page. Make sure you get the right one. I also bought some headlights from them, but didn't care for them, so this is not a recommendation for all of their products.
http://www.autolumination.com/headlights.htm

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you recall what section that is in @89Suburban? I'll dig it out and link him to it.

We do have a write up here about it Chris. If and when you can do it, feel free to add your experience, tips and opinions to the same thread. It helps others who are doing the same. I too will be doing it to one of my trucks when I do the mini quad grill swap.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Do you recall what section that is in @89Suburban? I'll dig it out and link him to it.

We do have a write up here about it Chris. If and when you can do it, feel free to add your experience, tips and opinions to the same thread. It helps others who are doing the same. I too will be doing it to one of my trucks when I do the mini quad grill swap.

Just search threads for "headlight" or "relay" the title and I am sure it will pop up. It has some good info and diagrams and pics in it. Maybe we should sticky it once it is found.

Sent from the *******

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I bought a "headlight brightener" relay kit from these guys. 15-minute install because I took my time and loomed the wiring. No changes to existing wiring (it plugs onto the lamps, and plugs into the existing headlight socket). Ceramic headlight sockets for high-temp bulbs. Quality unit. $25. I have had it on for three years or so with no issues at all.

About 1/5 of the way down this page. Make sure you get the right one. I also bought some headlights from them, but didn't care for them, so this is not a recommendation for all of their products.
http://www.autolumination.com/headlights.htm

Thanks for this link :waytogo: how do I know which kit is the right kit?

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I bought my relay kit from LMC. I'm happy with it, it is pretty good quality although made in Korea or something. The kit fit good and my headlights are definitely brighter.

I still have stock Halogen lights.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I bought my relay kit from LMC. I'm happy with it, it is pretty good quality although made in Korea or something. The kit fit good and my headlights are definitely brighter.

I still have stock Halogen lights.

Good info here. Thanks. I've been thinking about upgrading my stock headlight setup so this thread intrigues me :)

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I have the 4 square headlight system on my '86. For the cost ($30) and time (about 45 minutes) the relay system was definitely worth it. Before i kept wondering if I turned the headlights on. Now they are bright and really white instead of yellow.

I don't know if I drive it enough at night to spend the $100+ it would take to put the better lights in it. I gets mainly driven in the summer which has longer days. During the fall and winter it only gets driven a couple of days a month where I even need to use the headlights.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have the 4 square headlight system on my '86. For the cost ($30) and time (about 45 minutes) the relay system was definitely worth it. Before i kept wondering if I turned the headlights on. Now they are bright and really white instead of yellow.

I don't know if I drive it enough at night to spend the $100+ it would take to put the better lights in it. I gets mainly driven in the summer which has longer days. During the fall and winter it only gets driven a couple of days a month where I even need to use the headlights.

Sounds like the relays were a good compromise and will do the job for you.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Between the relay mod and just replacing the original 20+ year old headlight bulbs with standard ones makes a HUGE difference. That's all that is really needed IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capickering