Adding relays to headlights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Looks good. I want to do my own also. I was looking for the 14 gauge h4 connectors. To build my harness in 14 gauge wire. All I can find is 16 gauge wire pigtails. Are there 14 gauge pigtails? Just asking cause from what I read is you want to use 12 to 14 gauge for harness. Thanks.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The local auto dismantler store has lots of those relays with 14 gauge pig-tails.

I am having a problem with My headlamp conversion.
1993 GMC K1500, I removed the stock headlamp assemblies and installed from a 1988 or so the four rectangular headlamps.
I wired them up so that the dims will stay on with the brights, through a relay, using a wire from the bright side to trigger the relay.
Driving along, getting dusk, had the bright lights on and, all of a sudden all of the lights goes out, pulled the TS lever and the dims comes on, wait for a while and try it again, getting the same results, the brights will work fine for ten-fifteen minutes then, out goes the lights.
I thought I had in too small of a relay so, I got out My coffee jug of electrical devices, found a 30 amp relay, put that in, same results.
I have not had a chance to diagnose it yet but, I did get under the dash, did a visual of the headlamps dimmer switch and the pig-tails and connectors all looks good, the switch does`nt look burnt like most switches do when they are failing.
I guess My next step will be to buy a new 30 amp relay and try that, next will be the dimmer switch.
When I get the 59 Power Wagon out of the garage I will take a look-see at it and see if I can figure it out.
Any ideas about what may be going on would be greatly appreciated.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Are you using one relay for high and low beam together or a separate relay for the high beam and one for the low beam?

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are you using one relay for high and low beam together or a separate relay for the high beam and one for the low beam?

Just one relay, hooked to the dims, using the bright beams wire/power for the signal to turn on the relay so the dims will stay on when the brights are on.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Just one relay, hooked to the dims, using the bright beams wire/power for the signal to turn on the relay so the dims will stay on when the brights are on.
I would use two relays, one for low and one for high beam, and power them from their corresponding wires from the switch. I think the problem is in how there is just one relay wired into the high beam wire for power on both high and low beams.

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would use two relays, one for low and one for high beam, and power them from their corresponding wires from the switch. I think the problem is in how there is just one relay wired into the high beam wire for power on both high and low beams.

And that could be, feeding from the dims relay to help the brights. I will dodat.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Connect the relay coil wire for the high beams to the relay coil wire for the low beams using a diode. The banded end goes toward the low beam relay. I would use a 1N5400 diode.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Connect the relay coil wire for the high beams to the relay coil wire for the low beams using a diode. The banded end goes toward the low beam relay. I would use a 1N5400 diode.
That too could be a possibility, except for, there is no electrical stores here. There is an Ace/Radio Shack but, I told the owner of that store that My shadow would never again intrude upon His doorway. :shrug: :happy175: :happy175: :happy175:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That too could be a possibility, except for, there is no electrical stores here. There is an Ace/Radio Shack but, I told the owner of that store that My shadow would never again intrude upon His doorway. :shrug: :happy175: :happy175: :happy175:

A man has to be true to his commitments.

Have your wife/friend/mistress go in and buy it.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A man has to be true to his commitments.

Have your wife/friend/mistress go in and buy it.

Commitments runs deeep, very deep. I`ll be going to Billings, there are two or three Radio Shacks there. :gathering:

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Would updating the wire gauge and connections help with the brightness?
I need a project for tomorrow
Also thinking about installing a fuse panel as well and the headlights ran to ignition switch also intrigues me...

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

I think I got everything

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

I think I got everything
You will want some wire to run from the power source to the fuse block and from the block to the relay pigtails, and a couple sheet metal screws to mount the relays. Other than that, you should have everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53