Adding relays to headlights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I wanted to post an update on what I ended up doing. I ended up making my own wiring harness using two 5 prong relay pigtails (removed the center wire since it is not used) rather than having 4 female spade connectors for each relay.

These are the instructions I used:
http://tinyurl.com/mlmr86s

I mounted the relay's in the front corner of the inner fender on the d/s. There is a small flat section on the inner fender slightly forward from the windshield washer fluid tank where I mounted a fuse block. (chose to go this route rather than an inline fuse for each relay) I pulled the power from the junction block on the firewall to the fuse block using 12 gauge wire. Routed it from the fuse box, inside the inner fender, wrapped in wire loom, and then along the fire wall to the junction block.

As described in the instructions, I made sure to cut the correct light brown wire as there are two of them that go into the low beam headlight. One goes to the switch and other runs across to the p/s headlight. That's where the extra prep time comes into play for me. Kind of like the "measure twice, cut once" concept. I'll take some pictures tonight and add them to this thread for reference as needed.

So far, I still have the stock headlights installed and stock connectors. Mine are getting a bit brittle and showing signs of age so I will replace those as well with some heavier gauge wire. I can see a noticeable difference in the brightness with just the relays. I'm replacing the headlights with H4 glass lenses and adding the 90/100W bulbs. I have these same bulbs on my 1975 droF and the visibility is AMAZING!

For anyone who has not done this upgrade, I highly recommend it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im wondering if the Headlight Switch can be powered by an ignition on source ?

This way the head lights can be turned on and off, but will not stay on after the ignition is turned off.

I don't know how many times I have left them on lol

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Probably. Or, you can install one of those annoying buzzers that sound when the key is of but the lights are in. They are really easy to hook up.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My dad taught me 45 years ago to always stop and turn around and look at your vehicle when you are about 50 feet away. At that time, you could see the door locks sticking up if it wasn't locked. (Of course, with the CKs we still can!) You could check the lights. You could tell if the tires were low. You could tell if it was dripping anything like coolant. All in a glance, because if you do it every time, your mind has a picture of what to expect and any deviation will stand out.

He also told me to never set your keys down. In the ignition with the engine running, in your hand, or in your pants pocket. When you turn off the engine, you pull the keys out. That habit has kept me from locking my keys in the car more than once or twice in forty-five years.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I do that now... just because i like to look at my truck.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
That is good practice. No one taught me that, and I never thought any of it until you gave all those reasons, and they were all things I look for. I even check out other cars and if I know or see the owner I let them know what I saw.

A couple weeks ago I was going in a store and saw the car by the door had low LF tire. 2 dudes smelling of weed got in it and when I walked to my car I let them know. They looked at me funny when I told them, but I walked away, the driver got out and looked. No air there so they had to travel a little bit to get some.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The wiring harness, relays and fuse block.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416898000317.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416898000317.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 169

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The wiring from the junction block to the inner fender. The clean wire loom is the new one.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416898317546.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416898317546.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 120

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Nice job bud! What it cost you?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks!

Cost:
2 relays = $14
2 Relay pigtails: $10
Fuse block = $10
I already had the connectors, wire, loom and fuses. Probably $10-15 for those parts.

So, all in... close to $50.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado