Adding relays to headlights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have the big roll of wire from harbor freight, plenty of heat shrink and screws, I wire a lot of radios lol

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Got the relays in and all wired up, wired up so all 4 lows are on and high is also all 4, soooo much brighter now, once I get a carb and fix my damn taillight she will be road ready again after 9 months of sitting or it'll be up for sale depending if it wants to cooperate
The pic is all 4 lows
I'll get pictures of the wiring tomorrow morning
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
I bought a "headlight brightener" relay kit from these guys. 15-minute install because I took my time and loomed the wiring. No changes to existing wiring (it plugs onto the lamps, and plugs into the existing headlight socket). Ceramic headlight sockets for high-temp bulbs. Quality unit. $25. I have had it on for three years or so with no issues at all.

About 1/5 of the way down this page. Make sure you get the right one. I also bought some headlights from them, but didn't care for them, so this is not a recommendation for all of their products.
http://www.autolumination.com/headlights.htm

My 89 has the mini quad set up I think. 2 small side by side headlights on each side for a total of 4. I do not know which of these kits to go with, but I do plan on swapping my oe lights with sealed H4 lights.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
So far i have not seen a kit for the smaller quad headlight set up. I bought on from lmc and then found out it was only to be used with their headlights.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I bought a "headlight brightener" relay kit from these guys. 15-minute install because I took my time and loomed the wiring. No changes to existing wiring (it plugs onto the lamps, and plugs into the existing headlight socket). Ceramic headlight sockets for high-temp bulbs. Quality unit. $25. I have had it on for three years or so with no issues at all.

About 1/5 of the way down this page. Make sure you get the right one. I also bought some headlights from them, but didn't care for them, so this is not a recommendation for all of their products.
http://www.autolumination.com/headlights.htm

I just read this as a quote on the later posts of this thread. It just struck me funny and made me laugh when I seen "headlight brightner". That really sounds like one those "blinker fluid" deals. Or when I was in high rise construction, we'd tell the apprentice to go to the storage container on ground level and tell the guy in there we need a box of "toenails" (which is a regular nail driven in at an angle, called toe nailing) or go to the office trailer and tell bossman we need the "board stretcher" (for stretching drywall). We usually got in trouble when bossman says we wasted labor sending the kid down 32 floors on the man lift, then walk about 150 yards out in the construction site lot to get to the office trailer just to get laughed at. The joke was actually intended for the boss, not the kid. Yep, we screwed you again sending you another newbie with a dumb task. Of course bossman didn't bother coming up to the 32nd floor to chew our ass, but a foreman usually came by with his 2 way radio and we heard it via radio. Not to bad cuz he didn't see us busting a gut laughing as he's screaming over the radio, and then we just keyed up and said Yes Sir. :happy175: Or could this "headlight brightner" be compared to "******* bleaching"? :shrug:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Except it actually does make the headlights brighter, by getting rid of the voltage losses incurred from running headlight current through all that wiring and connectors.

So it does describe the end effect.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Except it actually does make the headlights brighter, by getting rid of the voltage losses incurred from running headlight current through all that wiring and connectors.

So it does describe the end effect.

Yes, I know. I totally agree with you on that. It just struck me funny as hell.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
I just installed all new front lights and ordered the relay kit as well (from LMC truck). It was a super easy install, took an hour, mainly because I spent time routing everything out of sight, everything was labeled so I did not have to try to read the schematic on the back of the packaging. You have to pull the wires from your stock connectors out and put in the new connectors, but that was simple. I am very pleased with it, they seem a lot brighter and I hear that it helps keep the temperature of that H/L switch down as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capickering