HID or LED headlights whats good for street driving.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I need to replace all the headlights in front of the truck. I'm not sure if I want to go HID or LED. What are some of you running out there. Mine are very dim and I know I NEED THE RELAY harness to help brighten them up. I don't want to spend a million dollars either. Post some pics up if you got good stuff. Also where to get a decent relay harness. THANKS
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One advantage of LED less amperage draw over stock halogen headlamps. So don't need a relay. I have had both LED and HID in the same vehicle, HID may produce slightly better lighting. Either was way better than halogen.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Fast 99, If Im correct are the LED lights brighter then the HID? Thanks

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
LED draw is less, HID's seemed brighter further ahead. There are lots of sites that sell both. Check the wattage, lumens, color temperature for ones you're interested in. Compare to the current bulbs. That will give you a baseline and if wattage is the same or less existing wiring will be suitable. Actual construction of the lamp housing will be a consideration as well. I am partial to Bosch but there are others.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I'm running an RMS Lighting kit, posted in this thread

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I need to replace all the headlights in front of the truck. I'm not sure if I want to go HID or LED. What are some of you running out there. Mine are very dim and I know I NEED THE RELAY harness to help brighten them up. I don't want to spend a million dollars either. Post some pics up if you got good stuff. Also where to get a decent relay harness. THANKS
You must be registered for see images attach
The trucks of "back in the day" have lighting that is inadequate compared to "modern" vehicles. We've noticed that on all our Burbs and the crew cab. Of course it would help if all the street lights were working...many parts of greater Houston area this is not the case. Pedestrians get hurt and killed every week because of this, and it's challenging to drive in these areas.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
The trucks of "back in the day" have lighting that is inadequate compared to "modern" vehicles. We've noticed that on all our Burbs and the crew cab. Of course it would help if all the street lights were working...many parts of greater Houston area this is not the case. Pedestrians get hurt and killed every week because of this, and it's challenging to drive in these areas.
WTH your in Houston. Just noticed that LOL. :happy160:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:popcorn: hummm me watching as im also in need of brighter lights.....
Had HID in another vehicle before it was common. When I replace that vehicle decided to keep stock headlights in it just to be courteous to other drivers. Now high output lighting so prevalent oncoming vehicles make seeing at night much harder. So just to keep up, improved lighting went in.

And yes, our city installed lower power [dim] streetlights so there is that.

Jester67

Reaction score
First Name
Chevy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What's a street light? :p don't have none of those around these parts. It is not just a function of LED vs HID. I have a Mustang with factory HID but no projector light, and they are crap. Normal halogen in those years is way better. The reflector plays a large part in usable light. Candela vers lumens, cast vers through all play a major role in usable light and the reason for some of the obnoxious cars you see now a days.

Daron58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 I6
Got my headlight relay kit from LMC for my 75 C10 , I think you’ll need a different one for your truck it being the 4 light setup, I’m pretty sure they have both good luck I know it definitely made a difference for my 2 round eyes, I’d try the relay kit before the LED setup it’s only about $35-40 bucks, please post what you do just for reference

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Got my headlight relay kit from LMC for my 75 C10 , I think you’ll need a different one for your truck it being the 4 light setup, I’m pretty sure they have both good luck I know it definitely made a difference for my 2 round eyes, I’d try the relay kit before the LED setup it’s only about $35-40 bucks, please post what you do just for reference
Yes sir, Ill be making a video on the brand, install, and if it was worth it or not.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’ve been using the Phillips LED units and while they are expensive they work great. I’ve done the round version and dual version.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
LED’s. Had a couple problems with the company but overall pleased. Plug and play, Black Friday sale less 15%. Not cheap but it is nice to be able to see!

Attachments

• IMG_2600.jpeg
    IMG_2600.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2594.png
    IMG_2594.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2595.png
    IMG_2595.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Latest posts