98 Chevy astro 4.3L vortec- died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just my two cents but why does everybody bash parts store brands or anything that isnt AC Delco. I have had the same Borg Warner cap and rotor in my S10 for almost 6 years now and have never had a single problem with it. I have never had a problem with any product that is made by a quaility builder.

When your in the repair business, you install a lot more parts that the average DIY car owner, and you tend to find products that come back defective at a higher rate than others.

In this case, the AC Delco parts are a wise choice. The vortec caps are just expensive in general, not so much because of the brand you choose.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
When your in the repair business, you install a lot more parts that the average DIY car owner, and you tend to find products that come back defective at a higher rate than others.

In this case, the AC Delco parts are a wise choice. The vortec caps are just expensive in general, not so much because of the brand you choose.

What he said !!! Just like Fuel pumps. Try to stick with AC Delco or Delphi if you can find one. The other aftermarkets that I am aware of, have a high premature failure rate.

(EDIT - Reffering to Electric in the tank fuel pumps)

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
the problem with the astro sounds like the fuel pump to me.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
The weather question is not silly sounding. I very rarely find one that actually needs the distributor replaced, it takes a lot of drive gear wear to cause problems. Most of the parts stores around here stock the AC Delco caps and rotors... pricey, but never had a problem with them.

In my experience I have replaced ALOT of distributors on these from warn drive gears, both in the V6 and the V8 vortecs. Here is why id DO NOT buy just a cap and rotor anymore, even ACdelco, For the price of a quality cap and rotor. I can replace the entire distributor that INCLUDES the quality Cap and rotor with the gold terminals. For $51.49
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the link for the distributor. http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-05-Chevy...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab1ad0d33
I have used SEVERAL of these with no complaints yet. The really nice thing about them is they are Metal and NOT plastic that has been hot and brittle.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's no joke. Those dizzy's off ebay with modules, caps and rotors are just to good to be true. I know of 3 others using the HEI like I bought for $36 delivered. I paid $30 alone for a Mallory gold tipped cap and rotor. I am just as satisfied with the quality of the cap and rotor that cam on the whole dizzy. I am also getting one of the HEI's for the Olds 455 since I still have the old school points dizzy in that motor. :waytogo: I'll get the cap, rotor, module, dizzy and all for $42 delivered.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
In my experience I have replaced ALOT of distributors on these from warn drive gears, both in the V6 and the V8 vortecs. Here is why id DO NOT buy just a cap and rotor anymore, even ACdelco, For the price of a quality cap and rotor. I can replace the entire distributor that INCLUDES the quality Cap and rotor with the gold terminals. For $51.49
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the link for the distributor. http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-05-Chevy...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab1ad0d33
I have used SEVERAL of these with no complaints yet. The really nice thing about them is they are Metal and NOT plastic that has been hot and brittle.

Hot damn! I'll be telling the boss man about those! Certainly wouldn't hurt to have a few in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue