'98 Busurban K1500 Daily

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

So I already got a thread about this unit over at the GMT400 Forum, but why not have another one here? Just to refresh you, this is the truck I traded for the '86 Suburban, then bought back. I bought the '98 for $900 back in late October 2020, with a bad transmission, previous flood damage (hurricane Sandy) a rolled back Odometer, no exhaust, bald/mismatched tires, and no brakes.

The whole reason I bought it, though, is due to the fact that it wasn't too rusty, so after capping off the bad brake line/pouring some Lucas stop slip into the transmission, I was able to drive the truck 350 mile home with no problems.

Since I really wanted a pre '95 TBI truck, I decided to make the truck look like it was built in '88 (despite the fact that the GMT400 Burbs didn't debut until '92) by swapping in an entire '88 front end including the quad sealed beam headlights. I also mounted a set of used 31x10.5x15 tires on a set of 15x6 trailer wheels; I didn't like how that particular set of steelies looked on the truck, so put on some '78/79 Impala hub caps. After addressing the transmission, brakes, water pump, fuel pump, A/C, paint, and a shitload of other things, the truck is pretty reliable.

I've taken it on thousand mile road trips towing cars multiple times, and it's been an amazing vehicle, but there are still things I want to address in the coming months.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

So I already got a thread about this unit over at the GMT400 Forum, but why not have another one here? Just to refresh you, this is the truck I traded for the '86 Suburban, then bought back. I bought the '98 for $900 back in late October 2020, with a bad transmission, previous flood damage (hurricane Sandy) a rolled back Odometer, no exhaust, bald/mismatched tires, and no brakes.

The whole reason I bought it, though, is due to the fact that it wasn't too rusty, so after capping off the bad brake line/pouring some Lucas stop slip into the transmission, I was able to drive the truck 350 mile home with no problems.

Since I really wanted a pre '95 TBI truck, I decided to make the truck look like it was built in '88 (despite the fact that the GMT400 Burbs didn't debut until '92) by swapping in an entire '88 front end including the quad sealed beam headlights. I also mounted a set of used 31x10.5x15 tires on a set of 15x6 trailer wheels; I didn't like how that particular set of steelies looked on the truck, so put on some '78/79 Impala hub caps. After addressing the transmission, brakes, water pump, fuel pump, A/C, paint, and a shitload of other things, the truck is pretty reliable.

I've taken it on thousand mile road trips towing cars multiple times, and it's been an amazing vehicle, but there are still things I want to address in the coming months.
Love it, another fellow 90s Burban owner.
Good looking truck ya got there. Like your style choices, makes it very unique.
Got 5 myself, of which my daily is a 92 GMC suburban. Swapped the 92 grill for a 98 grill, added the red pinstripe, and swapped the rims back to stock. Opposite of what you did, haha.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Love it, another fellow 90s Burban owner.
Good looking truck ya got there. Like your style choices, makes it very unique.
Got 5 myself, of which my daily is a 92 GMC suburban. Swapped the 92 grill for a 98 grill, added the red pinstripe, and swapped the rims back to stock. Opposite of what you did, haha.
I'd have five suburbans too if I had the land to store them.

I like the pinstripe you did on the '92, it really sets it off nice, and the stock wheels are quite an improvement. It reminds me of when I got my '86 Suburban.

The first thing I did was swap out the wheels for some more stock looking ones. Actually the wheels are from a 2010 Ford Econoline Van, and they just happen to fit the dog dish hub caps.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You two should really peruse the ole Gregs List around here, with or without your checkbook depending on how broke you wanna be at the end of the adventure, lol!
The wet side of the PNW is cheap rust fee square/GMT400 Burb paradise!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I'd have five suburbans too if I had the land to store them.

I like the pinstripe you did on the '92, it really sets it off nice, and the stock wheels are quite an improvement. It reminds me of when I got my '86 Suburban.

The first thing I did was swap out the wheels for some more stock looking ones. Actually the wheels are from a 2010 Ford Econoline Van, and they just happen to fit the dog dish hub caps.
Thank you.

That's a good looking square burb. I want one like that so bad.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
You two should really peruse the ole Gregs List around here, with or without your checkbook depending on how broke you wanna be at the end of the adventure, lol!
The wet side of the PNW is cheap rust fee square/GMT400 Burb paradise!
I was talking to a customer of ours who owns a vintage car dealership in Florida. I wasn't 30 seconds into telling him I'm restoring a square, after telling him where we are located, and he offered to pay me a finders fee for every clean squarebody I found him. He was Dead serious! I think people are aware we have the goods, we're just too far away for them to do anything about it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was talking to a customer of ours who owns a vintage car dealership in Florida. I wasn't 30 seconds into telling him I'm restoring a square, after telling him where we are located, and he offered to pay me a finders fee for every clean squarebody I found him. He was Dead serious! I think people are aware we have the goods, we're just too far away for them to do anything about it.
Yup that’s the kicker. It would be a low margin or even fruitless business to find (selectively) and ship (a long ways) and sell, in any volumes enough to make it worthwhile. That’s why they’re still around.
Although it happens. Guy bought a barn find square my buddy found here and put up for sale. Buddy doubled his money but he sold it too cheap (he didn’t give it away but cheap enough to make it attractive to a rust belt restorer).
Sold sight unseen and the buyer sent an auto hauler to his house to pick it up and deliver it to NY, or somewhere back in the NE.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota