98 Chevy astro 4.3L vortec- died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75-250-KY

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
OK - a few months ago - it just started dieing randomly , but would restart. I changed the battery and it seemed OK for a few months. The battery was old and we really don't drive it alot - but it does come in handy every now a then . A week ago it started funny and then just died heading to the store. And would not restart. Everything on this van is damn near impossible to get to without tearing half the vehicle apart . The sending unit has been flickering for months now- it reads but vibrates/ oscillates.

Is it the fuel pump/ sending unit? It cranks fine - it's a Mark III conversion model - so listening for the fuel pump is hard ( to many gadgets)- everytime you turn the key it makes different whining or whirling noises.

If it is the pump it is going to be a bit### to drop it down - even jacked up there is minimal room.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Those whining or whirling noises sounds are the fuel pump coming on. When was the last time a tune up was done?

75-250-KY

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
A while ago - it is a whole days project just to do the plugs.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Will the starter turn the engine over at all?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
First thing that you need to do is pull off the interior engine cover. Then check fuel pressure and check for spark.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
First thing that you need to do is pull off the interior engine cover. Then check fuel pressure and check for spark.

This.

It's bad that a V8 Astro is easier to change the spark plugs on than a V6.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
OK - a few months ago - it just started dieing randomly , but would restart. I changed the battery and it seemed OK for a few months. The battery was old and we really don't drive it alot - but it does come in handy every now a then . A week ago it started funny and then just died heading to the store. And would not restart. Everything on this van is damn near impossible to get to without tearing half the vehicle apart . The sending unit has been flickering for months now- it reads but vibrates/ oscillates.

Is it the fuel pump/ sending unit? It cranks fine - it's a Mark III conversion model - so listening for the fuel pump is hard ( to many gadgets)- everytime you turn the key it makes different whining or whirling noises.

If it is the pump it is going to be a bit### to drop it down - even jacked up there is minimal room.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
You already have the suggestion of checking fuel pressure and spark, which are highly suspectable problems. But let me ask you a couple questions.

First Question is, Is the Service engine soon light on? If it is not then you still need to check for codes, (Current codes, Malfuntion indicator lamp codes, History codes.)

Second question is: When you say it started funny then dies, how did it start "funny"? Did it act like it bucked then back spin? Or did it Start and idle really low till it dies?

Third Question: this might sound like a stuiped question to you or others But I asure you it is NOT. What is the weather conditions when the problems persist? Cold and rainy, high humidity?

There are 3 main problems I see with the vortec 4.3's and they are, Distibutor Drive gear wear, Cracked Crab cap (distributor cap), and Injector assembly (spider), usually when the cap is the problem it shows its ugly face in cooler wet weather. But IF let me stress that IF the cap or the distributor is the problem, DO NOT Buy 1 from a parts store, They are Remanufactured junk ass plastic. I can give you a link to a place to buy the COMPLETE distributor with the GOOD gold terminal cap and rotor bug INCLUDED for the same price as just buying the cap and rotor and the parts store.

Will the starter turn the engine over at all?

OMG really dave, you been back for how many days now? And your already gonna start this **** again? GO back and re read it 10 frickin times, then ask yourself. Was this a stuipid question? If you dont come up with an answare of YES the read it again another 10 times. because the OP said it STARTS AND DIES. How the hell you think he started it? Voice command????????:flipthebird::shitsweak:

75-250-KY

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
Weather conditions the day it happened- it poured the night before- horizontal rain ) high wind). When it started it kind of hesitated and stubbled but then seem to level out - I drove to the store and all seemed fine- I went back out and it started but was running like crap and then just died ( like no fuel or spark) . I cranked and cranked and nothing.

When this occurred a few months ago - it would just die at a stop light or even moving - I would just restart and move on. When it would just shut-off while moving( fun as there is no longer any power steering at that point) & it did it about every mile or so. I put some seafoam in her and a new battery and it seemed OK until now??? Now it is dead in the water - and maybe soon headed for the scrap yard. I can't get it to the auto parts store to get it scanned so getting codes is not a great option.

75-250-KY

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
OH I forgot - there was never any Service/ Check Engine light at anytime before or now - no warning something is not working other than it just stopping.

Any other vehicle it's no problem accessing the schrader valve to check for fuel pressure -they have made these vans damn near impossible to work on -without tearing the vehicle apart - especially this Mark III version with all of the gadgets.

75-250-KY

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
My apologies guys - I appreciate all of the help - just ticked at the whole ordeal.

Give me a carb and let me smash the computer driven vehicles and there 100 sensors.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You already have the suggestion of checking fuel pressure and spark, which are highly suspectable problems. But let me ask you a couple questions.

First Question is, Is the Service engine soon light on? If it is not then you still need to check for codes, (Current codes, Malfuntion indicator lamp codes, History codes.)

Second question is: When you say it started funny then dies, how did it start "funny"? Did it act like it bucked then back spin? Or did it Start and idle really low till it dies?

Third Question: this might sound like a stuiped question to you or others But I asure you it is NOT. What is the weather conditions when the problems persist? Cold and rainy, high humidity?

There are 3 main problems I see with the vortec 4.3's and they are, Distibutor Drive gear wear, Cracked Crab cap (distributor cap), and Injector assembly (spider), usually when the cap is the problem it shows its ugly face in cooler wet weather. But IF let me stress that IF the cap or the distributor is the problem, DO NOT Buy 1 from a parts store, They are Remanufactured junk ass plastic. I can give you a link to a place to buy the COMPLETE distributor with the GOOD gold terminal cap and rotor bug INCLUDED for the same price as just buying the cap and rotor and the parts store.

OMG really dave, you been back for how many days now? And your already gonna start this **** again? GO back and re read it 10 frickin times, then ask yourself. Was this a stuipid question? If you dont come up with an answare of YES the read it again another 10 times. because the OP said it STARTS AND DIES. How the hell you think he started it? Voice command????????:flipthebird::shitsweak:

The weather question is not silly sounding. I very rarely find one that actually needs the distributor replaced, it takes a lot of drive gear wear to cause problems. Most of the parts stores around here stock the AC Delco caps and rotors... pricey, but never had a problem with them.

My apologies guys - I appreciate all of the help - just ticked at the whole ordeal.

Give me a carb and let me smash the computer driven vehicles and there 100 sensors.

They really are good vans though. They have their issues here and there, as well as some repair jobs that seem difficult at first, but once you get used to them, it's not a big deal. Overall they are very dependable.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Just my two cents but why does everybody bash parts store brands or anything that isnt AC Delco. I have had the same Borg Warner cap and rotor in my S10 for almost 6 years now and have never had a single problem with it. I have never had a problem with any product that is made by a quaility builder.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Just my two cents but why does everybody bash parts store brands or anything that isnt AC Delco. I have had the same Borg Warner cap and rotor in my S10 for almost 6 years now and have never had a single problem with it. I have never had a problem with any product that is made by a quaility builder.

I had too many bad experiences with AZ, advance auto parts, and pepboys. I still to napa, carquest, and ac delco parts. I still go to AZ if something like felpro gasket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
referrich