700r4 Not Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I finally got the engine put into my truck after it has sat for 26yrs and now the trans won't shift out of first gear until I floor it and really speed up.It seems to upshift fine then but what can it be?If I idle away from a stop and just lightly accelerate it holds first gear.I've tried adjusting the cable to no avail.

help

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The TV cable has been adjusted or the TV cable can not be adjusted ?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Maybe the best first step would be to drop the pan, dump the ATF, change the filter refill with fresh ATF and test drive.

If the transmission has not been run in over a quarter of a century, you can hardly expect the valve body components to stroke freely. They are probably all as sticky as hell.

Personally, I would add a pint of Seafoam to that first ATF change.

Drive it around for awhile (if it starts to shift properly resist the temptation to just let it be like that) after a few hours running time, make yourself drop the pan and dump the ATF again.

At least inspect the filter - it might be wise to change it - button up and refill with new ATF.

It's probably going to be alright. Just don't kick the **** out of it right away. Take it up slow (like go easy on it for a few weeks) and always watch your level.

If you bring it out of hibernation slowly, you will most likely never have to deal with it again. If you rush it get it hot, you'll be chasing transmissions for years to come.

Oh yeah, and this - do your best to put your TV cable back exactly where it was. I can almost guarantee you that had absolutely nothing to do with why it wasn't shifting.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
After sitting for 26 years, I'd be surprised if the transmission works at all. Seals do harden over time and are not supple and flexible. Also valves in the valve body can become stuck and hung up. Servos can also be stuck as well as the valve in the governor.

If you've already tried adjusting the TV Cable, the very next thing to do is, remove the governor on the side of the transmission. Make sure the valve is moving freely within the governor bore and the weights aren't stuck, and the gear isn't stripped. Feel free to clean that governor with carb cleaner spray to remove any varnish or sludge. Reinstall the governor and see what happens.

If it still doesn't work....

I'll give my speech again. I am not one for liking additives in engines and transmissions. But some do work. DO NOT be hard on this transmission or you will kill any chance of bringing it back to life if it's even possible. You will need to get a GOOD transmission conditioner additive in hopes of getting the stuck valves and seals to become free again. Transmission Conditioner additives do not FIX ailing transmissions. However, for a transmission that has been sitting for a long period of time where the seals have hardened or become stuck in the drums, a good trans conditioner will help soften the seals and help them become more pliable and supple again. Do NOT expect a miracle to where you just pour it in and it works. It will take some time. It will also take some heat. DO NOT be doing any jack rabbit take offs. Because you don't know of the TV cable adjustment which also raises fluid pressure to hold clutch packs tighter, you can burn up the clutches quickly if the fluid pressure does not raise. You will probably need to let it idle for quite some time allowing the radiator coolant to warm the trans fluid. Run the shifter up and down through all the gears every so often allowing it to sit in each position for a minute or 2. This will open up that circuit and let the warm fluid and additive work thoughout the entire transmission. Take it for a drive in your neighborhood on the residential streets even though it will stay in 1st gear. It may eventually shift to 2nd. You can also use manual 1st gear and move it to manually to 2nd gear. That might create a shift in itself by doing that. 2nd in manually selected 2nd is achieved in a different way than 2nd gear in D position and so is 1st for that matter. Just read the directions on the bottle of additive and use the correct amount. If it still doesn't work, maybe add a bit more additive. No need to go overkill with the additive. It'll either work or it won't, and if you get to much additive in the transmission, it can actually do more harm than good. Just keep in mind, it's going to take a bit to get the seals warmed up and allow the additive to soften the seals. It won't happen immediately.

Also don't forget, if the TV cable is adjusted with to much pull, that will also keep it from shifting. If and when you get the transmission shifting, then try the TV cable adjustment. again for a proper adjustment.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Id without a doubt drop the pan replace the filter and fluid and MAKE SURE TV CABLE IS ADJUSTED PROPELY

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My 700R4 shifts OK, 1st thru 3rd. Never have had 4th kick in (not a big deal, I am usually pulling a trailer, have no need for OD). But the funny thing is that I have never spied the elusive TV cable on my square. Have pulled the carb numerous times, cable termination is not there. Former owner/wrench was a real greaseball, will check today to see what kind of jury rigging he might have done on TV...

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
the tv cable on a 700r4 is what controls the shifts without it your transmission is not going to last very long

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I should have mentioned that I have replaced the fluid and filter and I have tried adjusting the TV cable. I'm running an Edelbrock 600 and have the TV cable stud mounted on the supplied bracket.I ran this same carb on a car with a 200r4 for years with no trouble.There is a considerable angle between the TV cable bracket and where it connects to the carb.I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my shifting problem.I'm going to take it easy on the tranny at first for sure.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes it does the cable must be square and parallel to the carb base so that the geometry is correct as the throttle position is what controls the line pressure.

You need Edelbrock #8036 to use as a TV cable bracket #8030 is chrome
You must be registered for see images attach

You also need the TV throttle correction bracket cant remember the part# off the top of my head

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My 700R4 shifts OK, 1st thru 3rd. Never have had 4th kick in (not a big deal, I am usually pulling a trailer, have no need for OD). But the funny thing is that I have never spied the elusive TV cable on my square. Have pulled the carb numerous times, cable termination is not there. Former owner/wrench was a real greaseball, will check today to see what kind of jury rigging he might have done on TV...

Then you don't have a 700r4 @jetman. You'd have fried your 700r4 long long ago if you did. I'd almost be willing to say you have a Turbo 400. Even a Th350 will have a detent cable. And Th400 is what came with the 80's model K20's and C20's.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes it does the cable must be square and parallel to the carb base so that the geometry is correct as the throttle position is what controls the line pressure.

You need Edelbrock #8036 to use as a TV cable bracket #8030 is chrome

You also need the TV throttle correction bracket cant remember the part# off the top of my head

To the best of my knowledge, though I'm not going to swear to it, you can still use the OEM cable bracket but you do have to use the geomtery corrector on the carb linkage. Everyone seems to show the Eddy and the TCI linkage corrector for $35-$45. You can get the Summit brand for like $20 or so.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700203

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No the stock bracket is way to low to work with the Eddy carb. You'll never get the cable even close to parallel with the carb

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the info.I'm going to try the Edelbrock 8036 bracket and cross my fingers.I tried mounting the stud facing towards the carb ,just to make the cable pull straighter,but found no difference.I replaced the tv cable to one from a tbi truck since mine was broken.I'm assuming a tv cable from a350/ 700r4 combo should be the same right?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The only thing is that it will only do the TV cable. It says it will do the TV and the throttle but it wont!

You need to have some other set up for the throttle cable. I used an old 70s bracket from a manual truck or TH400 that only holds a throttle cable and modified the one side so it would fit on the EDDY carb and then used #8036 to run the TV cable

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA