700r4 Not Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks for the info.I'm going to try the Edelbrock 8036 bracket and cross my fingers.I tried mounting the stud facing towards the carb ,just to make the cable pull straighter,but found no difference.I replaced the tv cable to one from a tbi truck since mine was broken.I'm assuming a tv cable from a350/ 700r4 combo should be the same right?

Maybe post up some pics of the new TBI cable

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Good to know.I just ordered my bracket today.Crappy thing is it will probably take a couple of weeks to get to me.In the mean time I'll search for the throttle bracket you posted.Someone else mentioned a sticky governor.I'm going to look into that while I wait.Its not a daily driver so it can stay parked but I'd like to get it moving again.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya I think that governor is the #1 issue when a 700r4 has sat for a while. The one im running now sat for a year or two and I checked mine before installing the transmission as everyone said it was probably stuck. It wasn't but it seems to be the #1 issue followed by everything else.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, the governor being stuck after sitting for 26 years would have been my first suggestion, but being he mentioned installing a new engine and aftermarket Carb, that made me suggest the obvious TV Cable first being that it was obviously disconnected and reconnected as well as different geometry from the aftermarket carb.

Then of course the issue of the hardened seals too. I'm 99% confident it'll be one of the 3 or a combination of the 3. Governor, TV Cable or Seals. The TV Cable geometry needs to be handled anyway regardless of anything else so that's a good place to start and as you mention, while waiting for the parts, go ahead and pull that governor for an inspection and cleaning.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya after 26 years if this thing works he should get an award or something :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How you doing on this @97350 Duane? Get anything figured out yet? Ordered any TV Cable bracketry yet?

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Well I finally got time to pull the governor and the piston in it seemed pretty sluggish.I sprayed it out with brake cleaner and freed it up so that it moved with the centrifugal weights then re-installed it after blowing it out.Truck still holds onto first gear unless I really hammer on it,then it shifts.I actually found a homemade bracket which stacks the throttle cable and the TV cable which I'll try tonite. My new one has yet to arrive.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So it will at least shift. Sitting 26 years, now I wonder if the TV cable isn't gummed up too. If it gets gummed up, it will hang the TV cable and TV valve in the pulled position so the TV valve thinks you're full throttle all the time so it want's to keep the trans in 1st gear and delay the shift.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This^^^ is along the lines if what I'm thinking. it really sounds like the throttle valve is stuck and needs to be freed. try this with the engine running and in park. disconnect the tv cable from the carb. check that it extends and retracts freely and quickly. Extend the cable to the max extent and let it go. it should snap back do this up to 20 times and if that doesn't help then look into taking the tv out for cleaning.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Ok I'll try that.I'm willing to try anything at this point.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It sounds like an improperly adjusted cable because of the bracket geometry most likely

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I tried snapping the cable a bunch of times and then took it out for a ride.I took it down the highway and same as before it will shift under heavy throttle.This time when I manually shift from first to second it will shift but still at a higher rpm.It will then hit third but I didn't want to take it any faster as I'm still running the old baloney skins its been sitting on for 26 yrs.Sure enough one of the old bones let go and left me stranded as I don't have a good spare.I've got four tires and rims at the garage and will install them tomorrow and keep trying to free up the tranny.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I tried snapping the cable a bunch of times and then took it out for a ride.I took it down the highway and same as before it will shift under heavy throttle.This time when I manually shift from first to second it will shift but still at a higher rpm.It will then hit third but I didn't want to take it any faster as I'm still running the old baloney skins its been sitting on for 26 yrs.Sure enough one of the old bones let go and left me stranded as I don't have a good spare.I've got four tires and rims at the garage and will install them tomorrow and keep trying to free up the tranny.

I really think you need to wait and get the proper brackets hooked up and adjust the TV cable properly before going any further.

The issues you are having is classic after market carb with the wrong TV brackets issue. You will not be able to get it to shift properly until you hook up the TV cable properly regardless of any thing else you do

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
very true. the trans is acting like the tv cable is too tight.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
It shifts!!

I found a homemade bracket and installed it only to find it was junk.I put my factory bracket back on and set the tv cable.I then slowly moved the cable towards the firewall and the transmission shifted on its own without mashing the throttle.I played with the setting and ended up bringing it closer to the firewall and then just a bit away. I've done this several times over the past week but this time it made a change. I think driving the truck and circulating the clean fluid has had a positive effect on it as well.I actually got it into od and got it to kick down and then up again.

Its going in for a safety in the morning and I'll get the mechanic to check it out then. Hopefully that's it for the shifting problem but we'll see...btw I put the new tires onto the factory white eight spokes and the truck rides and looks 100% better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes