700r4 Not Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Glad you got it figured out. Hopefully the trans didn't get hurt with the out of adjustment TV cable. Likely not. Better to be pulling to hard than not pulling hard enough. Pulling to hard increases line pressure. Not pulling hard enough, the line pressure is decreased as if you're at light throttle and without high enough pressure clamping the clutch piston to pressure plate, that allows the clutches the slip, get hot and burn up. This is why the TV cable operation and proper adjustment is so critical on a 700r4.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It shifts!!

I found a homemade bracket and installed it only to find it was junk.I put my factory bracket back on and set the tv cable.I then slowly moved the cable towards the firewall and the transmission shifted on its own without mashing the throttle.I played with the setting and ended up bringing it closer to the firewall and then just a bit away. I've done this several times over the past week but this time it made a change. I think driving the truck and circulating the clean fluid has had a positive effect on it as well.I actually got it into od and got it to kick down and then up again.

Its going in for a safety in the morning and I'll get the mechanic to check it out then. Hopefully that's it for the shifting problem but we'll see...btw I put the new tires onto the factory white eight spokes and the truck rides and looks 100% better.

Awesome!

You still need to put the TV throttle lever Corrector bracket on or you will burn up your tranny.

It is a must! Absolutely not optional!

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I'm checking the mail daily.Still not here.Will do though.

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Finally ,my bracket arrived today.I'll be installing the bracket tonite.Has anyone installed the adjustable bracket before? Any tips? Its an Edelbrock 8036.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
use the original manifold bolts for the bracket and its a bit of a PITA lol cause the distributor and the bracket get in the way of tightening the manifold bolts

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
once its installed use the TV bracket and mount it on the drivers side of the bracket probably at the very top to make the TV cable parallel with the base of the carb

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Like I said before it will only do the TV cable if you try to make it do the TV and throttle. It wont work cause the Throttle cable will hit the secondary linkage and the TV cable will be all crooked if you try to mount it on the passenger side of the bracket which again will defeat the purpose of the bracket. Which is to line the TV cable up square and parallel to the carb base. This is critical to getting your transmission to shift properly and not burn itself up!

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Ok I installed the bracket and now the tv cable will not reach.My set up is and Edelbrock 1406 -600 with a Performer RPM manifold.I installed the tv bracket on the lower holes and the two smaller brackets on the upper holes.Its like something is wrong because I had to move the upper to the outer hole to allow it to open the throttle ,but there's no way my tv will fully extend at WOT.

Anybody got any pics of this bracket installed?

A buddy told me I should be prying up on the D-tab to release the tv cable and allow it to self adjust.Is this right?I have been pressing it down until now.I tried tonite and my D-tab will not pry up.

This is getting frustrating.

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
MadOgre,I only saw your post after I posted mine.That makes sense as I was lining up the tv bracket on the upper holes but then it left me with no where to connect the throttle cable.I have seen pictures of the throttle bracket that bolts to the base of the carb/intake but I don't have one of those.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
MadOgre,I only saw your post after I posted mine.That makes sense as I was lining up the tv bracket on the upper holes but then it left me with no where to connect the throttle cable.I have seen pictures of the throttle bracket that bolts to the base of the carb/intake but I don't have one of those.

Ya Edelbrock and their crap ass accessories!

8036 will only do the TV cable. You need to find another bracket to do the throttle somehow. If you check out that picture I posted earlier you will see how I am using the old GM throttle bracket bolted to the back side of the carb and 8036 for the TV cable.

Do not pry up on the D tab. You press down and push the cable all the ways inside the sheathing at the same time, Then release the D tab and manually by hand turn the throttle all the ways open to WOT and then return it fully to the idle position. It should be set then. Your buddy don't know **** so don't listen to him!

8036 is the only bracket that I have come across that is sturdy enough to use for the TV cable, the only problem is that it will only do the TV cable.

And yes you have to mount it on the drivers side at the very top

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I tried all different kinds of set ups but this is the only one that works properly and it works very very well. My transmission runs like a top with that bracket!

Might not be the prettiest with 2 separate brackets but it works very well!

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Thanks again.After installing it I had to remove it until I can find a throttle bracket like yours.I'm back to the GM bracket for now.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks again.After installing it I had to remove it until I can find a throttle bracket like yours.I'm back to the GM bracket for now.

You could fab your own tab for the throttle and bend it up and overt top f where the TV cable goes. How ever I think 803 sits too far back to actually be able to physically hook up the throttle cable.

Should be able to sue Edelbrock for false advertising heh? LOL what joke there accessories are!

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Well I've been running my stock bracket for about 200kms and I installed the tv cable stud on the inside of the throttle bracket.This allows a more straight pull on the tv cable.The transmission is shifting alot better the more I use it and I suspect the fresh oil has helped free things up in this old girl.

This seems to be working and I hope the transmission will last a while behind the bigger engine.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well I've been running my stock bracket for about 200kms and I installed the tv cable stud on the inside of the throttle bracket.This allows a more straight pull on the tv cable.The transmission is shifting alot better the more I use it and I suspect the fresh oil has helped free things up in this old girl.

This seems to be working and I hope the transmission will last a while behind the bigger engine.

The key to that TV cable is to have it straight and square to the carb and throttle linkage so that it pulls straight and even. If you can do that it doesn't really matter how you do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes