1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I'll axe him again tomorrow. I didn't go today cuz I was sleeping late for this 12 and I sent him a tex message saying I wouldn't be back around until tomorrow.
Two hours later, work calls and gives me another 12 for tomorrow....
ho-hum.
Reckon ima go to bed when I get off work tomorrow morning and prolly show up at Camaro/Firebird around one (after lunch) lookin to get my seats installed.
Ima try to talk Octavio into pullin out my console while he's down there.
Octavio is a yard monkey i've known for 20 years that daily drives an '82 Pace Car...he's a cool dude!

I'm sure that's who will be turning the wrenches for me...think ima try NO console for a bit. Bet I love it. I took the console out of my SS FOREVER ago... I'm really not a fan (of consoles). These seats are so freakin uncomfortable to begin with, but when combined with a WAY TOO TALL -that has been cut- 5th gen Trans Am console...it's all bad!

Check it out!

The gray doorsills really bug.:confused:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think we're alone now Tiffany, let's get a good look at THE FOAM!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It looks like a lot of work from here... :(
Helen are you ready?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just don't understand WHY someone would do that.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I don't know Bucket, but I bet we find out..what I DO know is that there is now a spare tire that is going in that hole..

That is part of MY vision for the car. :headbang:

I bought a fuel filter today and the actual VALVOLINE conventional 5-30 I wasn't just talking **** about.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Holy crap! It's 11:00!​

I'm about half way finished.

I think it must have been done because of the (2) 10 inch woofers found in the hatch. I am unable to determine a better hypothesis. I believe that it was done all at one time BECAUSE the quality of the Cure in the very bottom, is wildly different that on the top.
Granted , most of us likely have little experience with automotive uses for freaking EXPANDING FOAM, but the **** is everywhere.
The **** is. Bananas. b-a-n-a-n-a-s !

Damn, she is FINE. :oops:
Speaking of, these are pretty intimate moments with Helen the '88 IROC lol. We're getting along great!

The **** is much harder in the bottom than at the top. I find no rust and it is taking the paint off at the very bottom?. Ho-hum. It's discolored lookin like that because what you see is RAW METAL.?.:eek:

Doctor Suave had nothing to do with the foam. This is all p.o. from hell type ****, it is EVERYWHERE. Why take it ALL out? There's no water, no rust, AND I found a bunch more of that "window" peel n seal stuff all along the rear valance. I bet it was done for anti-rattle by a tweaker p.o. - It's ghetto. I'm stickin up for Suave, you bet. He didn't have anything to do with this and I bet it is stopping a rattles or some lol.
Sound deadening to a degree, for sure.

The **** is bananas. :)
B-A-N-A-N-A-S !!! :D

Do I really want to know how much more is back there? Not now, no. :(
I ain't no hollaback girl either!
But there is plenty more that remains to be seen! Blee-Dat! Lots of the peely stuff that says window on it..it appears to have been used a lot...maybe Suave did do this ?
What do you think?

Stay tuned!

Every tiny nook and cranny is foamed...
Might as well leave it? Some of it at least could be useful..

2 hours to remove 60% from the tire well alone?

Srsly?

The **** is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S

I forgot to mention that I bought the Lisle rear disc brake cube tool dealy today. All the trunk foam in the world ain't gonna fix the rattling brakes.
I can't believe I managed to live this long without owning one...I fixed cars for better than a decade and never had to buy the Cube of Loathing.

That's what you gotta have to repair third gen F-Body rear disc brakes and they are A BEEEEOTCH! Blee dat!
Maybe two (beeeeotches)
That's nothing anyone wants to aspire to do, trust me. :baby:

Seems like it's ALSO used on 2nd gen rear discs too. I STILL remember THOSE brake jobs...oy vey.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Check it out! A whole box full of foam and i've run into some of it that seems LIKE silicone, but it's foam. The stuff on the bottom couldn't dry properly or couldn't expand completely...?
Maybe heat from the exhaust?

What.Ever!.

The actual tire well seems OKAY.

Gah. Now it's midnight!

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
If they ask me how long it took ima say three hours. First I sectioned it with a pocket knife and tried to pry the "pieces" out with a flathead. That didn't go very well and there rest was by hand.
Mostly by hand. And flathead.
I did NOT want to score the metal with a knife, so I didn't.

That dude foamed over the dirt and everything! That wasn't raw metal... it's DIRT.
Lookit the bolt stud imprint.

It'll clean up fine! ;)
No worries...
See the clean spot.

I gotta go back to work a little bit...

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I thought how exactly does all that foam help anything? Then I found out.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Cool car. Making progress! Expanding Foam!? What the!? I'd thought about using it as a sound deadener in the pillars and roof cavity of my old truck, but the thought of rust forming or worsening stopped me. Tweaker that installed it, I'd venture to say yes, they do some whacky stuff. At least you'll get a spare tire in there when it's all said and done. Tracking down rattles is almost as fun as locating electrical gremlins.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
wow that's wild! Glad you got it out of there, though :)

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I believe as with "people like us" or "you all" - you know our type, the red-blooded folk what know "they don't make em like they USED TO?

I believe this is a fairly typical type of story line, and our stories disclose in a similar way... even though we may be people whom would not normally mix..everybody here - you all reading this - KNOW DAMNED GOOD AND WELL that anytime you buy a 30, 40 year old or older vehicle, there WILL BE any number of crazy adventures that ensue as a result.

Which, in MY mind is part of what I buy into it for. I want that to happen. It adds character. Right? It's FUN.
Not only does one expect to find crazy P.O. stuff - some of us WANT the spare tire wells full of foam. (for example) fixing that stuff is rad...It's all icing baby... Bonus + the old school flavor!
Today I spent four hours at the Camaro yard swapping seats and ditching my 5th gen console. GTFO!

It was rad and I got to know Helen the 1988 IROC-Z that much better...
We bonded. Make no mistake.. She was loving on me, very grateful that I have freed her space for a spare tire.
The seats look ....AWESOME. and sit TONS MORE COMFY. ..we're all very happy. I'm pretty sure by now they are 1987 seats. Cool because much more black.
I bought the rest of my A/C parts and made the appointment to git r dun! :grd: - Tuesday next week!

I worked until 6a, TODAY, went home and was prolly close to sleep around 7.
ALARM woke me up at 1p and I tex Gary Camaro that I was on my way .
Got the seats swapped without much incident. Par for the course!

Went home, showered, got dressed for work.
Ugh. 6-6...
Stopped at 7-11 on my way and picked up dinner. Lol.
The highway is stop and go...

The car sounds different. Lack of foam or?

Granted, I am not terribly familiar with the way it sounds...this is day 10.

I'm watchin the temp gauge and everything is fine. I do not like how hot this car is intended to run..

Is that the rear end whining? I should check the fluid! It's not terrible but I can hear it now.

Helen is.....nervous.
She seems...anxious.

But the new 30 year old seats are INSTALLED! We're rollin NO CONSOLE and I think it's GLORIOUS!

Finally get to work. Overnighting a three building, four story, apartment complex that is under construction DOWNTOWN.

It's Friday night, the worker dudes are all cuttin out pretty early tonight - none unusual.

I'm chillin ,waiting on them to leave so I can lock it up. Taking pictures of the seats kinda and.....?

PoP!

?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Qwat teh faq?

I pop the hood...there is smoke.

Upper radiator hose waited until I got to work! THANK YOU HELEN. :D

OMG. That's kinda neat I guess. I've been here ten minutes?

The ******* nerve of ANY P.O. involved in the making of my IROC, Helen, to have never replaced the radiator hoses. Lazy bums!

Thirty years is all the hoses are good for -
I GUESS!
Ya can't buy nothin worth a damn anymore! :mad:

:biggun:

Betcha didn't see THAT comin!
Didja?
(I didn't - lol!)
That's a pretty good post.. I reckon yous are gettin your money's worth in THIS THREAD.

and this ain't even about a truck!

But it IS about a girl...

(See what I did there?)

Sure Dad, I could have bought something like a little Honda car with a good air conditioner but that's NOT COOL.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

Another $27.00 later and it's fixed via the SAME combo screwdriver we ALL carry.. I called one of the owners, a Sheriff's deputy. Dude I just started a 12 downtown - I can't exactly leave and i'm losin daylight fast...what are YOU doin? He delivered the hose and a gallon of 50/50, totally bitchin!

They sure as hell do NOT make them like they used to. :headbang: Helen might as well have fixed herself, I was only coaching really.
What a great boss!

I am very grateful for the small handful of friends I still have, that never gave up. I guess he is is one.

:patriot:

There is something else at play here? Seems fishy and I STILL have a funny feeling, kind of. It may remedy by changing the fan turn on.

More than meets the eye!
I've deciced yes, these are 1987 seats...

Whatever, maybe she'll make it through my shift in the bank downtown tomorrow night!
I'm gonna HAVE TO SLEEP tomorrow before work, can't play with the car all day. Again.

I maintain that ten days is NOT enough time to break in a new 30 year old daily.

Well, I farted with it long enough to verify the thermostat opens, it takes coolant from the overflow, and I watched BOTH fans cycle multiple times.
**** man, I think the A/C is putting out cold air? Cold-er air..
Sweet.
Gonna get a dryer, compressor, low pressure line, orifice tube/o-rings and ****..a proper 134 conversion.

I've spent a quantifiable amount of money at American Camaro and Firebird this week. "Ima wait as long as I can" - didn't take long. :(
Remember that ****?

No reason to sit and suffer but I have FOR SURE busted seven grand invested. Weren't we at $6600 last count? This is gonna be a great car, i'm STOKED!
Next week I will finishing - fixing the A/C and get the door panels installed + spare tire in place WITH A JACK! I MAY look at the rear brakes BUT I think i'll go to Discount Tire and get the tires rotated side to side so I can look at the brakes lol. Fix wtfe that rattle is mebbe.
The week after next?
We're going to fluids, filters, and other various safety related type thangs if not sooner. Preventative maintanence type stuff.
Transmission filter, rear diff fluid, etc.etc.etc. all that stuff is renting space is my head and needs to stop.

A busted radiator hose is a real eye opener while I fart with yellow LED fog lights lol.They suuuure are a light color!
(Advertised as SUPER YELLOW 300K)

Dad-gum Gary Camaro waz TALKING **** about my cliggidy clear side markers today!

He said he'd call me? Ima tex him OMW after I get paid Monday and see what happens.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Rear brake pad rattle is common in the '82-'88 cars. The calipers don't like to stay adjusted out. There's 3 options. Replace them and hope the reman calipers work better. Update to the '89 and newer PBR calipers. Or simply pump some rtv in there between the calipers and pads (sounds super hokey, but it does usually work).

Oh, another option! Install a check valve in the rear brake line. It will hold 2 psi in the rear brake lines, keeping the caliper pistons from retracting too far.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hmm... I think the mostly hokey part is that it sounds like the best option to me LoL!

Black or orange? Haha.

I forgot to axe G about the inflat-o tire today but I for sure will when I axe him about the fugging rattle brakes!
Can't you like, clean and lube that stuff or something?

My black carpet has a frigging humongous hole cut for the console...i'll have to go back with the other one I have. I DID axe Gary about that though...he told me that it was "textured" black plastic under the gray carpet...cool.
I'll look into it later.

I DO NOT want to battle with the Cube of Loathing!

See what i'm workin with here?

Ew!

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I believe as with "people like us" or "you all" - you know our type, the red-blooded types that know "they don't make em like they USED TO?

Agree but, it's y'all. :signs8:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ