1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The fans on an '88 are controlled by a temp switch in the passenger side cylinder head. You can get a switch that kicks the fan on at a lower temp.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ya.
I went to two different O'Reilly's today and talked to four different people.
Nobody knows enough about their job to be able to find me a lower temp fan switch for a ******* Small Block Chevrolet...okay, fine. I'll buy from eBay while you "Professional Parts People" worry what my ******* cell phone number is so you can sell me this 80-90 and ponder what brought about the death of "brick and mortar". Blame EoE quotas for forcing companies to hire MORONS to sell car parts for import plastic that can't figure out that a fan switch for an impala,caprice,van,truck,el camino,monte carlo,firebird,camaro,bonneville,lumina,cavalier is ALL THE SAME ******* THING! ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.
O.m.g.

For reals! I couldn't take it any more.
Give me the goddamned keyboard and go on break. ****! They don't alllllll turn on at 212°, you're fired!
Go away.

You must be registered for see images attach

So I went back to the Third Gen board and found...this!
Hawks wants $40 for theirs....

Third Gen pushes one for a $20....

The one Rusty bought costs $12.
I'm satisfied with that... Send it to me.

Please. :driver:

It looks nice and shallow... Lo-pro, i'm with it! I bought a 195° thermostat to pair up.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Got a link to that one you bought? I'd like to grab a couple of those.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I also managed to score a pair of BRAND NEW Bosch Oxygen sensors for $9.95 each!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I've got some more work lined up...I intend to pull the differential cover tonight.

I also bought a new KNOCK SENSOR and PIGTAIL (in case I need it).
I am pritty sure that is the source of my slow. after it winds up a bit it gets goin kinda good..i believe THAT point may be when the computer can't overcome the mechanical advance...definate timing issue goin on. We'll see what's up later. The knock sensor is easy to get to...I really should put a timing light on this Helen eventually, it's too far advanced. Put that on the list of stuff to do!
Blech. Magnaflow made that glasspack sound and now it has to go..chambered mufflers are gooder for f-bodies. I may get a DynoMax though.
I ALSO bought a new MAF relay and some contact cleaner ....I may look around at that dealy tonight because the only trouble code i've got left is the dreaded CODE 36!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

(I really party away my weekends!)

****. There is a lot of work represented there... :(

BUT!
My A/C appointment is tomorrow and today was the fastest it's ever "mashed out". I think Magnaflows are ghetto assed, low class mufflers ..Cheap pieces of ****! Lol I don't like them. I tried to let it be cool, but it's not.
See I changed the oil so now it's on like a lightswitch! :**** Eater:with the pedal to the metal, and the foot to the floor and the this to the that..and the

F*ck it's slow...:STFU: - It is! Probably not even getting really good gas mileage lolhaha..i'm not even gonna figure it yet but all this fuel injected is such a waste...i'm gonna fix it..:bleh:

Burnin about 13 gallons a week.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Mmmkay, ewww!

I COULD hear my rearend after removal of the dreaded FOAM.
The differential was so filthy because lots of the cover bolts were LOOSE and it was leaking good, at least one was not even finger tight. The fluid level was pretty low.. :(
SO! Good thing we're here! - I love when that happens! Come on Franklin!

I tried to get the tint taken off the back window today and they wanted EIGHTY BUCKS! :321:guess they didn't want to do it..

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

After "it got goin kinda good after it wound up" , I realized that it prolly was 2.77s. Sad face. :(
Wait a minute....
Lookit my TAG. LoL!

That's some kind of sign, right?
o_O

See it? 2:77.0

Wierd.

Out with the Green/Blue and in with METALLIC ALUMINUM!

I got wrapped up and looked at the clock..omg it's 4:30... That could not be done better and we can stop wondering about that **** now, it's safe. That is one seriously high dollar rear end service that is READY FOR THE THRASHIN! :headbang:

We're goin WILD in the streets!

I'm clocking out...Good night!:33:

Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
FYI, rear window tint removal is a pain in the ass, more so if you're planning to retint. $80 is a bit on the high side, but if they do good work I would pay it. The shop I used to work for charged $100 for the whole car to have tint removed and between $50 and $70 for the rear glass, depending on size. F body glass is huge.

If you want to diy I would suggest getting a small steamer. Remove the panel around the window and find a corner. Steam and pull slowly. You will feel the difference when the glue is mushy and will comply. If you aren't planning to retint then you are done. If you are planning to retint then dry the window off and rub it down with a dirty rag. This will find any little specs of glue that might remain, you can attack those with a razor blade as long as they are in between the defroster lines. Those bits of glue if not removed will not allow the tint to stick to the window and create little bubbles. Depending on the quality of the old tint and its age, there may not be any little bits of glue left.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude.
It's so dark that I can't see out of it and drive with my side mirrors. NOT COOL. There is no choice except to remove it. I am busy trying to find a set of LOUVERS with no plans to re-tint. It's ******* dumb! Talk about stupid **** P.O.s do...

Yes defroster. Gag at $80! I MAY try it myself..spend the time and do every other strip? Lol make a tint louvers? I haven't asked Gary Camaro about it but I wonder if it would be cheaper to trade for a window WITHOUT tint?

It is 100% unsafe and intolerable as-is.

Them louvers though! GM part or bust!

For sure gonna shop around. I was kinda far up the Northside askin around. Two OTHER shops wouldn't even bid it.

I'll head further downtown and try again some other time.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Got all of the new A/C parts installed today but dude put off my doorpanels until tomorrow.

I made good use of the time / lift. :)

Can't believe I didn't get another pic of the rearend...

Ran out of time to get the A/C charged, old boy DOCTOR DAN was booked. Made the appointment for tomorrow morning at 09:30.

U-JOINT replacement has moved to the TOP of my list of important stuff to do.
They are baaaaad bad. I left Camaro/Firebird and drive STRAIGHT to O'Reilly's! The special coated joints were cheap (for me) like $10 bucks each...! Of course they weren't there but they will be tomorrow!

No more full throttle until then...baaad bad!

That shut all the "fun" down QUICK! NOW it's straight up baby it mode.:baby:
Although it IS apparent that Helen is increasingly capable.

Between all of the brake rattle and the u-joint clankin, i'm certain the car sounds very...INTERESTING from the curb!

Compressor, dryer, orifice tube, low pressure line + manifold assembly.

Helllooo aluminum driveshaft!
Aren't you pretty?

BUT check out the "patch" under the passenger seat. W.T.F. should I do to THAT? Does not look good.

No Chris. You can move my car with that forklift over my dead body!:mad:
It's so super sharp downstairs..

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I saw a tint removal trick once, it worked really well. Spray the window (inside) with a soapy water solution and stick a black trash bag to it. Work the bubbles out with a squeegee. Then let it sit in the sun for a while. The tint should pull right off in one piece and take most of the adhesive with it too.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Mmmkay, ewww!

I COULD hear my rearend after removal of the dreaded FOAM.
The differential was so filthy because lots of the cover bolts were LOOSE and it was leaking good, at least one was not even finger tight. The fluid level was pretty low.. :(
SO! Good thing we're here! - I love when that happens! Come on Franklin!

I tried to get the tint taken off the back window today and they wanted EIGHTY BUCKS! :321:guess they didn't want to do it..

I think that tint looks good!!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah, I've got a few of the flashlights for my cars.

I've got full interior panel sets in several colors. I need to keep a full set of black for myself, but I have many other black panels too. Maybe another full set or so. I can check if you can't find anything local. Shipping on the larger items gets very spendy.

You got an IROC steering wheel with good leather?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia