1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I was gonna suggest swapping windows because its that much of a pain to remove. Unless you have a zen garden, eagle eyes, and steady hands I wouldnt suggest going anywhere near the defroster with a razor if you wanna make sure they work when you're done.

I've heard about the bag trick but never seen it. Youtube it is:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

R10C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350/700R4
I saw a tint removal trick once, it worked really well. Spray the window (inside) with a soapy water solution and stick a black trash bag to it. Work the bubbles out with a squeegee. Then let it sit in the sun for a while. The tint should pull right off in one piece and take most of the adhesive with it too.

I've done this before on a boat I bought that the previous owner tinted the windshield on. it worked extremely well. hell of a lot better and faster than a razor blade.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You got an IROC steering wheel with good leather?

Lol, that's a tall order these days. I have several restorable cores, and one that's not perfect but too nice to get redone. For years I've hunted them down, I don't think I can get rid of the good one. I just save up the core wheels and send them to Chuck Pelton in exchange for a fresh refurbished wheel.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I was gonna suggest swapping windows
LoL great minds! I ran this idea over at the Camaro yard and old boy didn't seem too excited...before he changed the subject. :(

Lol, that's a tall order these days.

Hay...I never thought of it...My only want is to keep everybody honest. Gary priced me one at $145 and after a LITTLE BIT of lookin around, that's a hell of a deal! He said it was...the NEXT DAY when I showed up with money it was already sold..off eBay!
Worth a shot, The Cubo may be sittin on a dozen that are much cheaper, this IS the internet..you know i'll get one...when it's time. I got dibs on the next one that turns up and it's a LOOOOOWWW priority in the big picture.
:D

Check out THIS youtubes I found :
Y'all realize this is my 12 hour shift project for tomorrow night..? Right?
Do ya?
*y'all?

it's y'all. :signs8:

You must be registered for see images attach

There are 300 cars at this location...time passes quickly here.

Did I mention to y'all that Punky Brewster gave me her phone number when I asked for it?

Y'all are going to watch me tweak this car on the clock as much as I can manage. If you want to - the posts will be here. I'm having fun figuring out the projects. There is a dash/stereo project in the making and a brand new ALPINE car alarm in a box sitting here.

And this is my four leaf clover.:emotions33:

Having spent more time with Helen, Gary told me this is setting up to be a 10-12 thousand dollar car.

The C20 :peace: will be back soon enough. A 1968 PLYMOUTH SATTELITE with a 440 showed up -and i'm still in the project spot...totally cool, i'm NOT in a hurry, BUT...Take.me.for.a.ride!

Oh.. NO glass? Haha Zero Percent glass.....RAaaaIiiiNCHECK!

*edit*
Oh yeah! The compressor was no good, it didn't work. Dr.Dan tried to sell me a NEW one installed for $500.

Thank you Dr.Dan. But look man, it's "guaranteed to be a good one" and i've known GARY CAMARO for twenty years and this is bigger than one little compressor, Gary buys the next one. HELL, I can't hardly believe he agreed to SELL ME the FIRST ONE AND INSTALL IT...
You two work it out...i'm no longer involved....at YOUR buddy rate TO HIM? He will pay you to put on at least three more used ones out of the yard...I don't blame you for tryin me....that's your business and AGAIN, it was worth a shot! ;)
Gary will find one that works and my price is staying as low as is possible...i'm beating the **** out of that initial $1100 estimate!+ and nobody is mad yet.
So I spent half the day waiting on DAN and the second half of the day waiting on GARY to get this other one put on.
Still no door panels. Somebody bought a $9000 LS3 and 6 speed 4L80...not the best time for me to try and get something done.
I ain't mad but i've spent my Camaro yard time this week. I gotta go to work EVENTUALLY ! Will try again next Tuesday? Gonna get a better look at them u-joints before then. Gary said they are a BITCH to swap so I NEED to do it with a C-clamp just like anything else...we'll all find out together.

I've spent $1000 in and on Helen since buying her 15 days ago.
$1000 ÷ 15 = $ 66.6 per day.
Hail Satan! :rocking:

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ho-hum.

I guess it's goin okay. I've got 12 hours to kill...this post is going to get MUCH more entertaining, stay tuned! I started turning wrenches at 0800!

See I felt pretty great after I woke up, still ridin pretty high from the whole Punky Brewster experience I guess.
I'm lookin at my pile o' parts tryin to figure what is me next.best.course. of action!

ACTION!!!

Punky Brewster couldn't resist my WILES after I told her I had not one but TWO - Slayer tickets.... If it wasn't in the bag before THEN? I owe Tom Araya, he put me over the top without question. But she diiiiiid say she liked my IROC ... :p
**** yeah. IROC Helen kickin in! :flipthebird:
Kay cool. P.s. i'm NOT driving it to an all day Slayer concert mmmkay? We're takin your car, okay.

ACTIIOOONNNN! ;)

So i'm lookin at these parts and realizing the pictures will show the change of parts lol..i.got.no.new.pik.
BUT!
I've been under the front end twice.
I've been under the back end twice.
Gonna change the transmission filter anytime now, it's up. I bought it the other day... Yesterday. Dude @O'Reilly's asked me about the u-joints. Bah. They're on deck ol boy, hold your horses..we're talkin about my "work car".
It needs an output seal too. Them little drippins must go! Fortunately when I FINALLY pulled that dipstick this morning, it used 1/2 a quart, which I found on accident. VALVOLINE brand DEX or GTFO. :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

Went to O'Reilly's and started looking at brake parts. Sad news is the rear discs became much bigger in 1989 and also turned aluminum over the smaller IRON ones that are broke actin now. There is some unknown issue to me regarding the M.I.A. parking brake HANDLE, and THAT is how one is to adjust these rear brakes, in reverse , BUT I don't have that option right now . This is THE SOURCE of brake rattle. It's driving me CRIMINALLY INSANE!

Put the brakes pretty high on the list. Replacement calipers like I have only run me $50 each. I'll likely buy new BUT i'm lookin into that swap, blee dat. I found a 1989 3.25 POSI disc brake rear end for $500 obo.
Obo....
I am DYING to give up top end LOL!

Before I went to the store, I was forced to stop my wrenching underhood because

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Broken thermostat housing bolt. You are in for a good time!

And that hose clamp is original '88 stuff. Nice to see that.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I got that close! Lost the light and lots interest ATM. I gotta do some work eventually!
I decided that this morning was the PERFECT time to swap thermostats since the $12 jobby I bought the other day arrived yesterday in a Amazon wrapper.

Lemme tell you somethin..
If you ever wake up and start turning wrenches under the hood of your thirty year old Camaro, you REALLY SHOULD make the time for coffee first.

Mother **** your Cortisol.

It didn't dawn on me that I SHOULD NOT use that big assed cheater pipe on the 14mm thermostat bolt, something may go wrong.

An easy twist of the bolt
head
and I thought "****.I should get some coffee." But it was already WAY TOO LATE.

SO!
Now i'm gonna have to actually remove the throttle body, use a gasket $, trip to the hardware store $, and have ENOUGH TIME to babysit HELEN'S FIRST ABORTION!

And everything was going SO GOOD!
Oh well, dems the breaks. It looked like HELL goin in. No tellin wtf is goin on in there!

So I turned the car on after I put it back together to see did it leak.
Gotta go to work A GANG. Dumb idea.WTF am I gonna do if it leaks? Guess I got until 6p to fix it. :grd:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Well, it didn't leak. The wet is from the 1988, 160k bypass hose that SHOULD HAVE warned me away but nooooooooooo. It came off real easy. The factory clamp didn't have ANY effect. Same **** on that busted radiator hose...I got no ******* fear man, this car LIKES ME.

NOT LIKE that goddamned Blazer what became the bane of my existence.
Matter if fact my buddy Joe at O'Reilly's says "that's a different world than that big ass Blazer. You like the IROC better?

**** yeah man. It cooperates.

Anyway....I digress!

So. Huh. Lucked out? Time reveals all. Wait a minute. (Engine still running) why them fans no wants to work?
I'm not REAL SURE they were working yesterday.....

I spent my time tracking THE INOP cooling fans which was definately what was going on.

See the metal bracket what the relay is attached to? It's part of it.
I was just jackin with that deal...

It has cute little specific screws that are MIA, and some jacky P.O. has attached it to the fender with that OTHER bolt and there's that (ground wire?) now.

Messin with it, I caused it to lose ground and killed fan operation at the same time.

SO.
Figured that **** out and shopped relays at O'Reilly's. They're all the same... $15 EACH.
I have two of three now.
Code 36 went away for two key starts then came back...I think i'll buy the remaining relay so they'll all be new.

I need a PCV and hose still.

I read somebody killed code 36 in their Corvette because of leaking PCV hose. Looks pretty shady in there but this morning wasn't the time.

Soon i'm going to catch my overall cash total back up. It's right near $1100...Might get the trans filter installed on SATURDAY.

See? It's mounted wrong and THAT GROUNDS THE COOLING FANS!
It's kind of a big deal. :(

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Forgot!

Check it outt..lookit what I found!

Hi! I found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now! http://r.ebay.com/fj3ZQh

$500 for CORES. :eek:
(totally worth it)

Ya know @bucket
It IS nice to see things like that clamp. It appears the entire car is relatively STOCK and unmodified.
It's nice to see because how often does a guy find a thirty year old car such as this, in this condition?
Nice indeed! Even down to the hose clamps, I get to do it RIGHT. ;)

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Looks like there's a lot of bolt left hangin out. I've been trying to remember how I got the last one out. I THINK it was an Irwin deal? Blue and yellow? Looks kinda like circles around the outside and a big one in the center..i'll find it.

I could smell it on my way home. :(

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah!
That's the deal i'm thinkin worked great! The one i'm looking at seems easy enough but it's only half the battle..I can't start that today but I don't have to work until 10p tomorrow and i'm soaking in PB right now!
Oughta call O'Reilly's and get a TB gasket waiting on me and I am walking distance from an ACE Hardware - maybe it'll be alright.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Forgot!

Check it outt..lookit what I found!

Hi! I found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now! http://r.ebay.com/fj3ZQh

$500 for CORES. :eek:
(totally worth it)

Ya know @bucket
It IS nice to see things like that clamp. It appears the entire car is relatively STOCK and unmodified.
It's nice to see because how often does a guy find a thirty year old car such as this, in this condition?
Nice indeed! Even down to the hose clamps, I get to do it RIGHT. ;)

That's the same interior I have going into my '86 iroc. I've got those door panels, DUAL adjustable front seats (not just the driver seat) and a roll of NOS "Camaro Camaro" fabric. I just need to find an upholsterer that won't rob me blind.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Shut up!:boxed:

SERIOUSLY?! The more I think about it, $500 for the cores is probably not a TERRIBLE deal. Having that interior could pretty easily top two grand I reckon. $2500 starting from nothing?

Made it across town to work during the Friday night rush hour no problem. I cleaned it up last night and this is all I lost OMW.

She likes me, she really does! :kiss1:

(Updated parts pile pic without the Dex)

*edit*
I'm trying to figure out how that is working...I mean - WTF?
I remember Dr.Suave tellin some story about the radiator and why it was new? I gathered that selling it was irking him after all the "trouble" it gave him. All I could hear was my price falling.
Then I remembered it being "full of copper" when I had to replace the cap because it didn't hold pressure...it looked like there was copper floaties in the radiator.
NOW knowing what I know about the cooling system, i'm beginning to wonder if Suave never got all the copper stuff he was putting in to seal the radiator, to circulate. The thermostat is HI TEMP and takes freaking forever to open.
Boom in goes new radiator so he could sell this overheating hunk of junk - engine full of copper seal -
I buy it and routinely run the cooling system to the raggedy edge, replacing caps, bustin hoses, preparing to change it's characteristics COMPLETELY and I spin a thermostat bolt head off.

Boom. Copper seal kickin in!

Ya think?
Lookit the color of the "antifreeze". It's even different between the two pictures.

L.I.B. ! I think I may be on to somethin.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef