1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
A mass air flow sensor code. I don't recall the exact description.
The cast-iron-headed '85s and '86s have the grounds on the rear of the driver-side head. You'll have to pull the wiper motor to check.

My 1988 ground is passenger side bellhousing. Annnnd i'm fiddin to run my trans service / filter change tonight and swap knock sensors if it's easy to get at.

Waiting on the coffee.....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Check out this TOTALLY BAD ASS BIG 10 that is gettin a clutch job by Doctor Dan my A/C man.
I am making comment while professing mah squarebody lub and Dan says "well, it's just a truck to me."
o_O
"Dude. Big 10? That's a half ton chassis with 3/4 springs,shackles,and shocks with NO emissions but ALL badass!"

Dan says "yeah cool, but it has a bad clutch too."

Dude. Torque Thrusts and 8 foot bed? That truck is SMOKING HOT!

Cuz he's the diggy diggy DOC ya'll!
With THAT attitude, i'm happy he won't now, nor will he EVER touch my C20...at least he
likes Z-28s.

Dr Dan's Auto Clinic
6300 NW 39th Expy, Bethany, OK 73008
(405) 789-2926
https://goo.gl/maps/1iZ7Rdtrb2S2

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Doctor Dan started singin this song at me after I paid him and I decided AT THAT MOMENT that he was an alright guy and my A/C was okay.

I digress.

Here ya have it Ls and Gs, an illustrated step in the Right Direction.
This is is the RIGHT TREE i've been barking up.
Lookit. I pulled THIS out of my car and cleaned it up for these illustration purposes.

Note the (white paint) on the body of this here (factory?) IROC-Z knock sensor, but also note the black marks on the plastic neck of the connector. It rotates freely as illustrated by the white paint remaining stationary.

Oh yeah...
it's a regular Leaning Tower of Pisa impressionist too.

Ya reckon it was pulling timing?
(maybe just a little bit! ;) )
No code 42 or wtfe it was meant to be...I told you, it's SLOW. Or at least it WAS slow. This is certainly a step in the right direction...
Looks like I WAS barking up the right tree...

We'll get it all sorted out race fans, rest easy. The pigtail of the connector has been replaced already, I can safely return the one I bought in case I needed it...

Dah faq?

WOAH!I wonder how much timing THAT costs!

Lol? Nah, it looks good to me , put er back on! We'll save that money. Be sure you get it REAL TIGHT TOO.

(The torque spec is 14 lb./ft.)

Ya think it was pulling timing? I bet this is an entire different animal now. Hell, ima KEEP DIGGIN! - it's early!

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

Ok @bucket and anyone else that picked up the $12 coolant switch I advertised from eBay...
You need a 17mm deep socket and a standard, female, blade terminal receptor.
The brass adapter that comes with it is NOT USED. (too big) the sensor fits solo.

I decided that since I was rolling around on the floor RIGHT THERE, I would put forth effort to further reduce my parts pile. Looking at the clock now, it's 01:30.

That $12 modification is very straightforward and there are no suprises.

Dr Dan made mention of my vacuum lines today so I decided to check them out. I accidently moved a check valve too much and the line popped off. ! Doh!
I ended up repairing TWO vacuum leaks and reducing the total length of vacuum hose by an easy FOOT.

Chip chip chippin away....

(Original 234?° fan switch and terminal)

That's FOUR repairs and ONE modification SO FAR! I try real hard to get a whole week's worth in!
The A/C. The knock sensor. Two vacuum leaks. .. and the 195° fan switch modification.
Now it's 01:45 and i'm going to drop the transmission pan.

Bet!

Gonna get after my new black door panels tomorrow I paid $95 each for. Later.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
02:22

I started to have second thoughts about dropping the trans pan so I didn't.
I was lookin at it, seems straight-forward enough...best quit while i'm ahead. Four hours is a long time to roll around in the dirt and fix on a thirty year old Camaro in the dark...
It might start tomorrow if I stop now.
Plus I worked second shift yesterday and slept all night. Been up LONG TIME!

I'm layin underneath Helen the '88 IROC-Z gettin sleepy and then I remembered that I ran her out of gas and bought another new filter...lol...FIVE REPAIRS.

/Shrug

Alright then.

I even popped the cap THIS TIME and swear I have never seen a car SO EAGER TO SPILL SO MUCH GAS!
OMG. WTF?

At least I was ready for her squirt this time and that mess didn't take me by surprise! Don't ya hate that?

Lol.

Not one foot, 26 inches of vacuum line. Again, WTF? Stupid **** P.O.s do...

I'm not even gonna test start it speaking of stupid ****! Leavin that excitement and adventure for tomorrow when I want to go somewhere haha.

Unplugged the battery again, we'll all find out what will happen together!

Oh! GOOD NEWS!
The u-joints have been changed before and I was lookin at c-clips! Hooray!
Look at the transmission leak...
I wanted to pull wheels tonight...
If Helen says no transmission pan tonight...I say ok. I ain't stupid... 21 days in...
I want to go somewhere in the morning and Helen must want her new door panels.

I need more time off. :(

I forgot to look at the bellhousing ground(s).

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Looks like theyre gunna re-rock the iroc rusty....

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I dont think so. First off, IROC stopped having races years ago. I doubt GM would bring back a namesake based on a defunct racing body. And second, thats 6LE Designs car from Sema.

http://6ledesigns.com/iroc-z-by-6le/
Idk i just saw it on youtube... but then why wouldnt they? Have you seen the pontiac tri power discussion?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Idk i just saw it on youtube... but then why wouldnt they? Have you seen the pontiac tri power discussion?

Yea i figured as much. Someone wanted views on their channel and knew how to get us by the heartstrings. Tripower was / is a GM trademark where IROC was a marketing partnership with a 3rd party. It would be the same as Nascar bringing back the Sprint Cup. Who cares, that 6LE car is sweet as hell.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Yea i figured as much. Someone wanted views on their channel and knew how to get us by the heartstrings. Tripower was / is a GM trademark where IROC was a marketing partnership with a 3rd party. It would be the same as Nascar bringing back the Sprint Cup. Who cares, that 6LE car is sweet as hell.
It is sweet!! I really dig the wheels.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Hey Rusty,

Hows about some new bling bling

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey, lookit that gray paint! Your trans is a remanufactured unit. Also, you have an aluminum driveshaft and it used clip style u-joints from the get go. Btw, many people think the alum shaft is a 1LE part only, but it was used on many '88 and newer TPI cars.

Oh, and my bellhousing grounds are good too. I've had the engine and harness out of the car, with no change to the problem.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Finally we has doorpanels and while we're at it, let's get some black armrests too.

Finished with the A/C business and the black door panels and black seats business.

Moving forward, we will move on to u-joints, transmission leaks and filter change, brake rattle, parking brake handle, and the two new Oxygen Sensors showed up in the mail today. Not too worried about the console BUT we ALSO started looking for a Flowmaster with LT-1 square aluminum tips on it...cuz YOU KNOW that is the HOT TICKET!
I was looking at some exhaust pipes standing around in the Camaro yard today while CHRIS was putting on my door panels and I made a comment about cursing my MAGNAFLOW after hearing it make that ****** glasspack sound...everybody agreed that SUCKS...it was pretty funny. I'm telling You All that I will have no part of that **** and it did it again today.
Gary has about 5 million cat backs out there, I'll snag a picture next week after he finds me the one i'm looking for. ;)

There is still a long way to go!

There is discussion of 1LE ALUMINUM wheel spare tire and blow-up can. He has TWO and i'll prolly buy one...eventually.:baby:

Look, it took me TWO WEEKS to get black door panels...don't be in a hurry!
The armrests we're a total afterthought, kind of BONUS for $90. On CREDIT.

We're in good standing NOW. Even Punky Brewster was "kind of" flirty today..she's so f*cking hot, I'm not giving up...she may be playing hard to get and I am TOTALLY DOWN.
So fine! She told me to be careful tonight...

:33:
y'all should have seen the sparkles on her jeans. BOING!

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Finally we has doorpanels and while we're at it, let's get some black armrests too.

Finished with the A/C business and the black door panels and black seats business.

Moving forward, we will move on to u-joints, transmission leaks and filter change, brake rattle, and the two new Oxygen Sensors showed up in the mail today.

There is still a long way to go!

There is discussion of 1LE ALUMINUM wheel spare tire and blow-up can. He has TWO and i'll prolly buy one...eventually.:baby:

Look, it took me TWO WEEKS to get black door panels...don't be in a hurry!

:33:

2 weeks yes.... but lookin good!!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Btw rusty im following this because being born in 87' ive always had a love for the 80's camaro and iroc. But when it came time for me to get a car my mom wouldnt let me buy an iroc because she claimed "its too fast, youll kill yourself in it" i pleaded, mom most are only 6cyl and at best a 350, theyre not race cars. And funny still at 31 i dont own one. I like helen! Keep up the good work.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thanks Brother.
Ya know driving the car around, many,many people share a story about their memories of IROCs and I'm starting to really dig it..at the gas station, the stop light...where ever.
I told you the story about the Olive Garden waiter with the yellow B4C car which Is I was completely enfatuated with...my new call phone guy told me a story about some girl he used to go with that had a BLUE ONE . He said "I should have married her." LoL!
I agreed..A BLUE ONE?!...yeah probably.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8