1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
:cool:

I bought it today. Used some of my property claim settlement and drove it home.

I got $9800 for the K5 that I paid $4,000 for, and spent $6,000 on this Z.
It's pretty sweet! :deal:

Always wanted one, never had one until now.

There is a 1986 K5 in Texas i've been eyeballing and i'll drive it home if I get the chance.

The blue truck is in the shop, it could be worse!

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thanks!

I think I made a pretty smart buy. I plan to have it professionally appraised ASAP, maybe tomorrow..

I drove it from the seller's house straight to O'Reilly's and plopped down a bill fifty for a new M.A.F. sensor, which fixed most of the running problem it had. It was stalling and flooding out AFTER the thermostat opens. However, the radiator cap holds no pressure so that weird **** is next on the list.

I JUST bought a Snap-On MT2500 and I intend to tune THE PISS out of this car, I won the eBay auction that I was watching.

I've owned the car less than 12 hours and i'm already in 2 trips to O'Reilly's and i'm out another ......gah! The SES light is STILL on! If I taught myself anything from the Blazer debacle, it's to keep track of EVERY DIME!

SO I'll start a folder or something...i'm out....$139.32 tonight plus I filled it up.
NOT counting gas ... i have spent $6405.32 on this Camaro to date.
I think it's a pretty good deal, most of what I look at prices these cars around 10-12k. We'll find out FOR SURE soon enough! I bought it to make it worth more money...I see it as an investment..
i'm repeating myself - I know. Classic cars are an appreciating asset. It looks pretty damned good to be thirty years old! P.O. bought it from a fireman in 2015 for... $3500, it's worth more now, yes? Dude said he spent $15k on it.

AND later on, I will revive the K5 thread and detail for you all exactly what went down but I can't do it right now...
Besides, i'm playing IROC right now...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2016-05-13/the-iroc-z-is-your-best-investment-for-a-classic-camaro

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Very nice score. 3rd gens are definitely appreciating in value. I wanted to buy one a few months back as a hold asset for a few years but I couldnt get into one for what I wanted to spend.

305 or treefiddy?

I had a 91 Trans Am with a 5.7 TPI and it could make the tires burn pretty good when it actually started lol. It was tuned with headers, k&n intake, flowmaster single exit exhaust ( i wonder if they still make that thing), and one of those air foils because i thought they looked cool and scored it cheap.

Good luck with the build and buy t top seals...now.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Nice find there Rusty! I bought a 2000 camaro ss six speed 2 years ago for $6500. Always wanted one. I love it! I've only put about 3,000 miles on it since I've had it but, enjoyed every mile. I didn't buy it to turn a profit on because I don't think I'll ever get the money back I've put in it. I do keep a spiral notebook on it to document all the stuff I've done to it. I probably got about $10,000 in it by now ($3,500 in stuff I've put on it)and would be lucky to get that for it if I decided to sell it. I just spent $500 for 2 new Yokohama rear tires. But I figure they should be the last tires I need to buy for it.

Nice ride tho. Enjoy it while you have it! I sure like mine. Not much to do on it now except maybe I'll throw a cam in it at some point. It's already got bbk intake,85mm throttle body, slp Lt's and exhaust. Moser 12 bolt rear end and BMR LCA's. Just put new rear shocks and springs on this week that I've had in the garage for about 8 months. Lol.

Sorry I got off in to my car. This is your thread. Have fun and enjoy your new car. We only live once dude.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
For you guys that want an alternative to pen and paper check out the aCar app. I have it for android but I think its on iphone as well. Free version is full with the exception of how often you can back up your data and i believe how many backups you can save. I have records back to 2011 on my phone which I just got last month. I have fuel, expense, and repair logs. You can do trip expenses and other stuff too. You can also import and export excel, csv, and other files. I highly recommend it.

I dont work for / with them, just find it useful.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I found this place, and gave them a call.

http://www.oklahomacityautoappraisers.com

The phone answered "Houston Auto Appraisers" or some ****...I told ol girl I just bought a car and i want an appraisal to make certain I have the correct / enough insurance in case of a total loss, for example.

She says the price for an ACTUAL CASH VALUE appraisal is $

you're not ready...

$495.00

$495.00?!:321:

:doh2:
:emotions33:
:flipthebird:
:flame:
:hmm:
:mad3:
:lol:

:pokeowned:

:shrug:

:thumbsdown:

:whymewhyme:

:yourself:

I told her I was going to make some more calls because I think that price is outrageous.

:wtf2:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
That's fuckn stupid! When I had to secure a loan at my credit union with my Dakota. I gave them my information and came back with an amount in just a few minutes while I sat in the office and waited. So maybe ask your bank for an appraisal? :shrug:. I would trust my bank more than some jackass like that.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I never would call someplace advertised as "Houston" anything..but I digress. The next place I called wanted $80. I'll look around some more. My insurance agent says $8800 for a no questions asked payout...hmm...
I spent $92 on the title transfer today and last night I wondered if it was trying to run hot?

Checked it out after I got home and verified the radiator cap wasn't holding pressure so I spent $6 something on a cap today AND.....the check engine light went out. Lol!

Whatever!

I'll pull the code out of it later.

Oh! I checked the oil and it was overfull. :(

Good thing I wasn't all over it yesterday! Bought a new filter and swapped em out. There was an oil spot on the ground wtf?
Plug was loose. Wix filter that was wayy bigger than the Delco #454 I put on it today. It's still a small amout over, think another filter change will be alright.:p

@Crispy
It's a 350.
Dr. Suave has changed every piece of weatherstrip on this car in the last three years he owned it. I'm gonna start tracking down some of the rattles cuz this mother is a rattle - trappin mugg! :confused: Haha it can't stay like that.

There is a big ass empty fuse holder under the hood and I stuck a $4.00 fuse in it today to see what it would do.
I can see the new speakers around and there's a box in the back but nothing happened.
/shrug.
Will try again later. That's WAY low on my list of priorities!
:p

I just remembered there is a front marker light out AND the tag had no month sticker. Ol girl hooked me up a replacement at the tag agency today. I asked for a Classic car tag application while I was there.

What else....I guess that's good for now. Oh! I noticed I need to arrange the plug wires more gooder today, buy some wipers, and get some wiper juice. I've still got some winterproof stuff at the house I put in the K5.

:biggun:

Fun! Lots of room to play!

See the big green MAXI fuse near the battery?

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I didn’t realize these third gens had that book value to them. I haven’t seen many that look as nice as that one, though. The people around me clearly aren’t aware of this because 97% of them are beat to hell, and they look like they would fetch $500. The junkyards have plenty of them, too, so people are still more than willing to discard them for little money. That’s awesome, though. I lurk the Third Gen forum for info sometimes. I don’t know how they are over there in terms of collective attitude, but there’s a lot of information available. I guess you can add those cars to the rapidly appreciating list. I checked on my Jimmy a couple months ago, and it said median value like $16.6K. Max value of $28.8K. I was shocked. I don’t think I could get that median number for it except for a desperately motivated buyer, but that tells me that I’ve got something that will be or already is coveted in classic/antique vehicle circles, and that’s always a good feeling. The Caprice is the opposite. It’s not worth anything on paper, but that doesn’t mean squat to the ones that really want one.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nice looking IROC. I almost bought one new in 87-88ish. It was a convertible, donut spare tire would barely fit out of the trunk and actual tire had no chance to fit. Asked the salesman where I should put the tire if I got a flat and he said, "put in the passenger seat". He lost the sale at that point.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Third gens are certainly going up in value, I guess people finally respect them again. But it's making it harder and harder for me to score a factory yellow painted IROC. Maybe one day still.

If you ever need any parts for that car, I may be able to help you out.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Third gens are certainly going up in value, I guess people finally respect them again. But it's making it harder and harder for me to score a factory yellow painted IROC. Maybe one day still.

If you ever need any parts for that car, I may be able to help you out.

I'm in the market for a t-top holder, and covers...

Dude.
A long time ago I was a busboy at Olive Garden and there was this waiter dude that had a yellow IROC he told me was a B4C highway patrol pursuit car. It had the lights and **** on it, a freakin ROLLCAGE in it and stuff....boy was that a cooool car. Had to have been sometime in the mid nineties.

That was one of those wicked cool cars that a guy never forgets .... probably why I have this one today.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify