What's this thing in my rim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Front to back different backspacing wouldn't bother me if the fit is good. Just verify the runout as mentioned

How different is the back spacing? I could deal with up to 1/2" front to back but no more.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I know I know, normal people wouldn't even notice. I'm far from normal though.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It's the mark of a rim job.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
How would I go about checking them? I'm glad I'm not the only one it would bother. I see guys running different sizes and offsets front to rear and mi mind immediately starts freaking out because you can't rotate your tires with those setups. I couldn't do it.

I bolt it to a representative hub, spin it by hand and use a dial indicator.

For lateral runout you check cross car with the indicator on the vertical face of the bead seat; for radial you place the indicator parallel to the vehicle centerine with the point on the inner diameter of the bead seat.

K

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I bolt it to a representative hub, spin it by hand and use a dial indicator.

For lateral runout you check cross car with the indicator on the vertical face of the bead seat; for radial you place the indicator parallel to the vehicle centerine with the point on the inner diameter of the bead seat.

K

That went over my head a little. I also don't have a dial indicator.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
You don't absolutely need a dial indicator. but it helps. you can do it like this.

Yep. Nice. Radial runout shown in the video. To check lateral runout (aka "wobble") you would turn the pointer 90 degrees so it is indicating the face of the bead.

That's sort of a "go/no go" scenario. The dial indicator would just allow you to put a "number" on how much wobble you see (or don't see).

K

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yep. Nice. Radial runout shown in the video. To check lateral runout (aka "wobble") you would turn the pointer 90 degrees so it is indicating the face of the bead.

That's sort of a "go/no go" scenario. The dial indicator would just allow you to put a "number" on how much wobble you see (or don't see).

K

OK I get what your saying now. If I take the OCD up another notch I'll probably be divorced lol. I need to buy some more tools, I just always borrowed my dad's stuff. I def need some more though. Georgeb wonder if I can do that on the truck and eyeball it?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
OK I get what your saying now. If I take the OCD up another notch I'll probably be divorced lol. I need to buy some more tools, I just always borrowed my dad's stuff. I def need some more though. Georgeb wonder if I can do that on the truck and eyeball it?

I would. Or, if you have a relationship with a tire shop that will work with you spin them on their balancer without tires on them and see how they look.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My local tire shop has been pretty good about working with me since I bought 2 sets of tires from him in less than a year. And I should have bought the other 2 sets from him too. Yes, I spent roughly $2500 on tires in the last year and a half. Anyway I guess if I want the true factory look I'll have to bite the bullet and use these. I just won't tell anyone theyve been widened.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
My local tire shop has been pretty good about working with me since I bought 2 sets of tires from him in less than a year. And I should have bought the other 2 sets from him too. Yes, I spent roughly $2500 on tires in the last year and a half. Anyway I guess if I want the true factory look I'll have to bite the bullet and use these. I just won't tell anyone theyve been widened.

Tell em they're "custom".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack253