Painting rally wheel rim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
When it comes to these rally wheels, has anyone ever painted them another color other than the argent silver? I am considering painting some the Mariner Blue that I will paint parts of the body, but still a ways away from making the decision. Pictures would be a plus!

Take Care,
KS in KCK
I've seen lots of trucks with the square body Rallyes, in body color of the truck, or a complementary color like red wheels on a black truck. There's several guys on gmt400.com that have the square body Rallyes, and run either the square style caps or Astro van caps.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
When it comes to these rally wheels, has anyone ever painted them another color other than the argent silver? I am considering painting some the Mariner Blue that I will paint parts of the body, but still a ways away from making the decision. Pictures would be a plus!

Take Care,
KS in KCK

I did mine in AMC electric blue metallic

This is an old picture but it’s the only one I have of them in the sun. I did them this color when I first built the truck in 1997, so I did them the same this time. It really pops once the center caps and rings go on
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350

Take Care,
KS in KCK
Absolutely. I’ve only done black on a past truck, but color matched wheels can look super cool.

C10_Blackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Eastwood 2k wheel primer. Comes in a rattle can. Then top coat it with whatever you want. I would go for the Eastwood 2k rattle can areospray top coat.
I saw that Eastwood primer and that would have been my choice if I could get it locally. Found a rust-oleum filler primer at Harbor Freight that ought to do the job.

Replaced the window track seals today on both doors, which is the first improvement I’ve made myself since getting the truck. Still waiting for the paint to show up - got delayed with FedEx.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I saw that Eastwood primer and that would have been my choice if I could get it locally. Found a rust-oleum filler primer at Harbor Freight that ought to do the job.

Replaced the window track seals today on both doors, which is the first improvement I’ve made myself since getting the truck. Still waiting for the paint to show up - got delayed with FedEx.
Imagine that!!!!

Fat 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
My 10c - when painting wheels ABSOLUTELY you must paint the inner surface. I have just had a set of 8 x 15 rims blasted as they had heavy rust, but I hate throwing good stuff away ( apparently 8 lug 15's are difficult to find now ?? ). The rims were primed in a cold GAL primer, that is a good base to stop future corrosion. I usually paint the wheels all over ( including inside ) in a semi gloss black, and then spray the outer surface in colour. Most 6 and 8 lugs I re-do in an off white to replicate the OEM factory look. Some over-spray into the inner rim is fine, and replicates the factory finish on many trucks back in the day. I started doing it this way when repairing old tractor rims to protect them and give them longer life. I have had to chuck a number of old rims because after removing the tyre, the inner bead is too rusted out from water and salt corrosion.

Also - you can get good results cheaply using an airless sprayer, a tin of good quality tractor enamel and some thinner. Just turn the spray right down, and spray thin coats, Warm the paint and thinner first, and keep the rims inside before painting if its cold. That way the paint won't run.

Not sure what colour these are going to run yet .....

Attachments

• 240522 8x15 8 Lug wheel 02.jpg
    240522 8x15 8 Lug wheel 02.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 13
  • 240522 8x15 8 lug wheel 03.jpg
    240522 8x15 8 lug wheel 03.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 240522 8x15 8 lug wheel 04.jpg
    240522 8x15 8 lug wheel 04.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 13

C10_Blackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My 10c - when painting wheels ABSOLUTELY you must paint the inner surface. I have just had a set of 8 x 15 rims blasted as they had heavy rust, but I hate throwing good stuff away ( apparently 8 lug 15's are difficult to find now ?? ). The rims were primed in a cold GAL primer, that is a good base to stop future corrosion. I usually paint the wheels all over ( including inside ) in a semi gloss black, and then spray the outer surface in colour. Most 6 and 8 lugs I re-do in an off white to replicate the OEM factory look. Some over-spray into the inner rim is fine, and replicates the factory finish on many trucks back in the day. I started doing it this way when repairing old tractor rims to protect them and give them longer life. I have had to chuck a number of old rims because after removing the tyre, the inner bead is too rusted out from water and salt corrosion.

Also - you can get good results cheaply using an airless sprayer, a tin of good quality tractor enamel and some thinner. Just turn the spray right down, and spray thin coats, Warm the paint and thinner first, and keep the rims inside before painting if its cold. That way the paint won't run.

Those look good and thanks for the advice! Up to now I've avoided getting into owning a paint sprayer but maybe it's getting time to reconsider that. You can tell I know less than nothing about auto painting (my only experience is with using a brush on houses), but I'm starting to see that there are gong to be a number of small paint projects like this over the years.

Fat 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Rustoleum is a great brand. I use their paints all the time, they have always produced good results for me. Think about getting an airless sprayer from a good brand ( german Wagner etc. ) . Even a good one is relatively cheap, and they are much cheaper than a regular air gun as you dont need a compressor, lines, seperators etc. Secret is to flush the gun through with thinner when you are done, and clean the nozzles etc. with a brush. Get an old door or something to practice on before you try on the wheels, so you can get the right pattern and coverage. Practice makes perfect wheels ...

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size

Interesting about the availability of the 15" 8 lug wagon wheels....I have a set that Dad bought decades ago for one of his projects. IIRC he was told they were off a Toyota one ton.
Here's a picture of them(and the aluminum 16.5 slot mags he also bought for that project):

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_122453154_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230730_122453154_HDR.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230730_122442650_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230730_122442650_HDR.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 12

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Rustoleum is a great brand. I use their paints all the time, they have always produced good results for me. Think about getting an airless sprayer from a good brand ( german Wagner etc. ) . Even a good one is relatively cheap, and they are much cheaper than a regular air gun as you dont need a compressor, lines, seperators etc. Secret is to flush the gun through with thinner when you are done, and clean the nozzles etc. with a brush. Get an old door or something to practice on before you try on the wheels, so you can get the right pattern and coverage. Practice makes perfect wheels ...
Man, that really piqued my interest.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Interesting about the availability of the 15" 8 lug wagon wheels....I have a set that Dad bought decades ago for one of his projects. IIRC he was told they were off a Toyota one ton.
Here's a picture of them(and the aluminum 16.5 slot mags he also bought for that project):
Wagon wheels would be a candidate if I ever wanted to stay with 15” but wanted to run something else besides rallies. Specifically the ones that came on the sport truck trim.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Wagon wheels would be a candidate if I ever wanted to stay with 15” but wanted to run something else besides rallies. Specifically the ones that came on the sport truck trim.
Yup those are the ones we had painted Colonial Yellow for the '78 Sierra shop truck. Also had the Chevy Sport padded bumpers, yellow of course, and the square mirrors. Those wheels were 15x8 and a set of LR60/15 Goodyear GT Radials fit them nicely. Also dropped the truck a few inches. I used to put my foot on the edge of the rear tire, and use that and the bedrails to get in the bed. Ah, to be as flexible now as I was at 15.....

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
I did mine in AMC electric blue metallic

This is an old picture but it’s the only one I have of them in the sun. I did them this color when I first built the truck in 1997, so I did them the same this time. It really pops once the center caps and rings go on
Beautiful!
Hoping my GMC looks more like this before winter, would be nice to spend the cold months focused on the engine and transmission.

Take Care,
KS in KCK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RadChad