What's this thing in my rim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Can y'all tell me what this metal piece is that visible in my steel wheels? Picked up an 8 inch wide set a while back, and all 4 have this metal piece visible on the outside of the wheel. Ive had many sets of rims but I've never seen this before.

You must be registered for see images attach

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Weld seam or tooling mark from rolling the rim during manufacturing.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yep found the weld seam on the inside, with two weld beads.

I think these wheels may have been widened at some point. Measured the back spacing and sure enough, there is different backspacing on two of them. Just my luck.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Yep found the weld seam on the inside, with two weld beads.

I think these wheels may have been widened at soem point. Measured the back spacing and sure enough, there is different backspacing on two of them. Just my luck.

That doesn't look factory. The first pic is and I have seen that a lot but the other beads indicate the wheels were widened at some point.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
That doesn't look factory. The first pic is and I have seen that a lot but the other beads indicate the wheels were widened at some point.

That's what I was afraid of. Will widened wheels run true? I know people have done it, but in my mind I just don't see how it would be possible. I also don't see any markings at all on these wheels. My rally's have GM stamped on the outside. I'm about to just paint them, and buy trim rings and centers. Thanks for the speedy response.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
That's what I was afraid of. Will widened wheels run true? I know people have done it, but in my mind I just don't see how it would be possible. I also don't see any markings at all on these wheels. My rally's have GM stamped on the outside. I'm about to just paint them, and buy trim rings and centers. Thanks for the speedy response.

Sure they will run true if it was done correctly. You would need to spin them to see if there is a bunch of run out or not. I wouldn't hesitate to widen wheels but I have access to the tools needed.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well I guess I have to decide if my OCD will let me use these or not. I don't like knowing the backspacing is different.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well I guess I have to decide if my OCD will let me use these or not. I don't like knowing the backspacing is different.

OCD is a bitch. I feel your pain. Something like that would bug the **** out of me too.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
OCD is a bitch. I feel your pain. Something like that would bug the **** out of me too.

Same here. I couldn't do it except for a rare occasion and only paired on the front or rear. Then I wouldn't be able to rotate them.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Sure they will run true if it was done correctly. You would need to spin them to see if there is a bunch of run out or not. I wouldn't hesitate to widen wheels but I have access to the tools needed.

I've also widened my own wheels.

They will need to be checked for lateral and radial runout. If they are off less than .015" they will be ok.

K

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I've also widened my own wheels.

They will need to be checked for lateral and radial runout. If they are off less than .015" they will be ok.

K

How would I go about checking them? I'm glad I'm not the only one it would bother. I see guys running different sizes and offsets front to rear and mi mind immediately starts freaking out because you can't rotate your tires with those setups. I couldn't do it.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
How would I go about checking them? I'm glad I'm not the only one it would bother. I see guys running different sizes and offsets front to rear and mi mind immediately starts freaking out because you can't rotate your tires with those setups. I couldn't do it.

You could spin them on a wheel balancer at a tire shop or on your truck without tires on them either check by eye or preferably with a dial indicator.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Front to back different backspacing wouldn't bother me if the fit is good. Just verify the runout as mentioned

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man