Learned something new today about my truck, anyone else experience this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
First off if this is in the wrong section please put it into the correct one, thank you.

Little background of my truck for reference. I purchased my truck from a dealer auction(my father is a mechanic and a car dealer) in 2015. Had only "50 thousand miles on it" and was believable because of how good the interior was and the outside wasn't too shabby(yes pics will come in my intro thread). So I thought that I bought it with 50k on it. So let's fast forward 40 thousand miles more and 8 years later numerous problems started to arise. Pretty much all the modules were failing, fuel injector faulty, distributor being in the absolute worse condition possible(literally original beside the cap and rotor), and many original parts starting to cause me many problems. I thought that it was sort of strange that all these parts were failing on a truck with 90k on it, even if it was from 1987.

So today when I was looking in my truck I came across paperwork from the previous owner. After looking at it I seen that in 2008 the truck was registered at having 130 thousand miles on it. I was kinda shocked because for years I believed it was a rather low mileage truck for it's vintage. Then it occurred to me, which gets into the technical side, as to why all these parts were failing. These parts were LONG past their expiration date. Which given the truck is 35 years old and at 190 thousand miles it's rather impressive they lasted even this long. I always did proper maintenance for this truck since I love these models but I didn't really pay attention to other parts because I always assumed it was a much lower mileage truck. Idk is this a naive assumption or have some other people experienced this type of situation? Made me look at my truck in a different light I guess.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
I have an actual low mileage truck. 58,000 on a 1978 GMC. Paint looks like hell, but the body itself is really solid. Literally zero rust. I've replaced nearly everything that could be bolted on as far as the engine compartment goes, as well as window regulators, a couple of gauges, fixed a few leaks, etc. Just comes with being a 45 year old truck.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
On older vehicles like these I alway add the 1 infront of the odometer when looking at them. I was told the one I bought haad 86k on it. Like yours it was very clean inside and out. Even when taking it apart for the frame off there was one spot of rust about quater size, surface only that I found. Could it be an actual 86k mile truck? Sure. Do I believe it - meh.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
When I bought my '81 it had "74,***" on the odometer. I even reported on here it had 74k original miles because that is what I was told. I am the third owner, so I figured it was true. Nobody said anything when I mentioned it had 74k original miles.

Since being on here for 11 years it does come up with nearly every new owner of a square. Some times it's true. Most times it's not.

On mine I found out when I pulled the timing cover to change the camshaft. The chain had way too much slack for a 76k timing chain. The engine is solid, the truck is too, but it has lived a hard life prior to me owning it. It has quite a few battle wounds.

You got 40k out of it before having to replace old stuff, that is a win. Now you know with each item replaced, it gets better and better.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply's. At least I'm not the only one. Was nice thinking that mine actually was a low mileage one. I agree, it is a win that these parts lasted this long. Plus it's easy to get to the vast majority of these parts on these square bodies opposed to the newer Chevy's.

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
On older vehicles like these I alway add the 1 infront of the odometer when looking at them. I was told the one I bought haad 86k on it. Like yours it was very clean inside and out. Even when taking it apart for the frame off there was one spot of rust about quater size, surface only that I found. Could it be an actual 86k mile truck? Sure. Do I believe it - meh.
While mine is clean on the inside the outside always had a crappy paint job(previous owner rattle canned in the most random places). And some rust that has gotten worse over the years but the engine runs like a top.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg