What's it worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So I think I came across a good deal. It's an '85 C20 Silverado Burb, with a 454 and th400. Basically no rust and a very clean gray interior, around 100K on it, could use tires and a carb rebuild. I can get it for $1800.

I'm thinking I can pick it up, change tires and carb, then drive it on our family trip down to Florida next month... all in the comfort of 2wd. Then keep driving it for a little while while I finish fixing the rust on my current Burb, as well as finally install the 1 ton axles.

I could then resell it and get my money back (or more?). Of coarse, I have bought things before with the intent of selling them... sometimes it never happens.

So in short, what do you think that Burb might be worth?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
A huge part of what its worth is the region your in, it seems like the further east you go the more expensive these trucks get.

Were also going to need some pictures!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Iman brings up a good point. Seems the farther East, and the farther North you go, the more expensive rust free vehicles get. Yep pics would be helpful too just for an overall condition. Me personally, I think $1800 is a bit high for a truck for a square needing tires and a carb rebuild. I'd be using those needs as negotiation room. Even though its 2wd, 3/4 ton tires aren't cheap. I'd plan about $125 to $150 for a decent tire with mount, balance and tax, and if you were to buy a refurbed carb, you'd be looking at about $200. I know you can rebuild it for about $30 but still, figure bolt on part price. So now you're looking at $2600 to have it in driveable condition. 454 and Turbo 400 really don't add value as much as 454/Turbo400 sellers would like to think. #1, 454 drinks gas, #2 Overdrive trans is the more widely preffered transmisssion today. However, you seem more old school like me and like the brute strength of that combo, and hopefully being its 454 and T400, its going to be the 14b Full Float rear end, where in 85 model 3/4 ton, the 14b Semi Float 9.5 in rear end is more common as standarad equipment, and the Full Float comes in the HD option package. The gray interior is a plus for sure instead of the more common, blue, red or tan in that year. Silverado is also a plus, especially if the power locks, windows, cruise control and AC work. If all that is in good shape, and it really just needs tires and a carb kit, then $1400 would be a better price IMO, but that also in my area, so not sure what you guys are like in OH. Also, be sure its just in need of a carb kit, and being told that, isn't masking a more serious problems like need for a valve job.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:popcorn: I wanna see pics before imparting my opinion :D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And I'm not awake yet this morning. I now realize its a Burb were talking about and not a truck. If its in good shape, prolly worth the $1800, but I'd still use the need for tires and carb kit for negotiation room. Being a Burb, good chance it might have 3.73 gears too, which will be better on the hwy with a non OD trans. I'm thinking the stock tire size is 31.25in tall. You'd be looking at about 2900 RPM @ 70mph w/non lock up converter.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't have any pics of it, I haven't even seen the truck since this last summer. All of the power options do work, it's a southern truck, so the paint is faded. I was looking on craigslist last night and found a guy here in town selling good tires already mounted on 8 lug wheels, and for only $20 each. I priced a reman carb from Advance, it's less than $300 including the core charge. Only reason the carb needs rebuilt is because it's running a little rich and fuel mileage is suffering. The guy drives it everyday.

It's sort of a mixed up situation. The guy is a friend of a co-worker (#1). He bought the Burb from the co-worker's father, with money borrowed from the co-worker. He doesn't really have the money to pay the co-worker back, and the hungry 454 is not helping matters any. So, co-worker #1 want's to buy a Cherokee from another co-worker (#2) to give to his friend. Co-worker #1 will then be selling the Burb, and he has to get $1800 out of it.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
What kind of carb is it? you could rebuild it for around 20 bucks if its the quadrajet.

As far as the used tires, I highly discourage that! After this last summer blowing out 2 rear tires with a loaded trailer on the interstate in front of a big rig Im never buying another used tire for any reason. I will take some pictures of what it did to my bed, my recently perfect bed is pretty hammered now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's a quadrajet, but there would be a time issue making the reman carb my first choice. If I were to later sell the Burb, I would probably reinstall the stock carb (but rebuilt) and use the reman carb on something else.

Oh, and used tires don't scare me, as long as the tread is evenly worn, there's no dry rot, and the date code shows them as not being more than a few years old.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'd say it definitely worth a look considering what you've told us so far :)

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So in short, what do you think that Burb might be worth?

It's only worth what you are willing to pay....I spent this weekend running around looking at vehicles, several were worth thousands to their owners...they were worth alot less to me...I know people ask "extra" to get down to their "ideal" price, but some people that I dealt with this weekend were just plain crazy.............:crazy:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
It's only worth what you are willing to pay....I spent this weekend running around looking at vehicles, several were worth thousands to their owners...they were worth alot less to me...I know people ask "extra" to get down to their "ideal" price, but some people that I dealt with this weekend were just plain crazy.............:crazy:

Thats the worse thing about buying used cars, usually the people are nice and you dont want to offend them but theirs no way your buying their junk for 3 times what its worth.

A couple summers ago I responded to an ad in the paper for a 70's international truck for 800 bucks. When I got there I was surprised by the ugliest pickup i've ever seen in my life. This thing was a perfect example molesting a truck to the point its worthless. This guy had terribly cut house carpet on the floor, dash and even made floor mats out of carpet. The engine compartment had used plastic oil containers hot glued to the air cleaner lid that was hacked up as some sort of makeshift cold air intake. The guy before him added extra fuel tanks for some reason and cut holes in the bed to fill them.

I told the guy, honestly the most I am going to give you is about 400 bucks. He got offended and I just walked away.

One thing I found helpfull is not showing up in a new car, this guy thought since my wife is driving me around in a new car I could afford his full price.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, you are right. It all a matter of perception on both sides. Show up in a heap of ****, and they might feel sorry for you too. LOL I also agree and use that line alot that nxt mentioned. Anything is only worth someone is willing to pay. I don't care if an appraiser says its worth 10 Grand, if someone will only give you 2 Grand for it, then that is really what its worth in ACTUAL CASH VALUE. Everyone also needs to feel like they are getting a deal. So I usually will add a little more than I really want to give me some negotiating room when I am asked to take less. Many times, I won't drop my price, but I will have something else to add in and throw the guy over the top my way. I have also been known to drop my pants on a couple items cuz I know the situation wasn't good for that person, I knew the "NEED" was there, and I knew the person would take care of it and appreciate it. Of course I didn't lose on the deal, but I didn't make near the profit I wanted either. I like to be able to sleep at night, knowing I didn't rip anyone off and was as honest as I could be.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Of course I didn't lose on the deal, but I didn't make near the profit I wanted either. I like to be able to sleep at night, knowing I didn't rip anyone off and was as honest as I could be.

Amen.....I've always sold my **** for pretty cheap...I usually try to give people good deals on things just because it is bound to return to you in some way, shape or form...The guy I bought the Camaro from wouldn't budge off of his price, but he did hook me up on the title/bill of sale just to help me out with sales tax etc......

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, I give good deals, to find more good deals.
Buckets situation here is differant though. Seems he will pay the $1800 if he wants it. And it appears it will be helping out buddies #1 and #2 if I understand right. If its in good shape like he says, its probably worth the $1800 to someone who wants one with that 454/400 combo. Just that not many want that combo now days cuz of gas prices.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, I know it's worth $1800 to me. I just don't know if it's worth that to other folks out there. I'm not so much worried about making money on the deal, but I wouldn't want to sit on it for ever just to get my money back out of it. Even as clean as it is, it's still just an old gas hog to a lot of people these days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns