What's the good AC compressor these days?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Been reading a few threads where parts quality is in question, even on new name brand parts like AC Delco. Apparently quality is suffering right now. So I thought it best to ask what the good AC compressor is these days. It's for my 87 TBI 350 truck.

Next question!

The compressor is dead, also those top two lines are leaking. The ones that go across the front/topmost part of the engine. So I bought AC Delco brand replacements. What should the repair order be? Something like -

1. Have someone vacuum the system
2. Replace lines and compressor
3. Refill the system and check for leaks

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Trying to save money on the cost of the repairs. Maybe I can get out cheaper by replacing the lines and the compressor myself. I'm sure a qualified mechanic needs to get $300 for doing that, just to make it worth his time.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sanden. They are made in Japan or USA. If you have the dreaded R4 compressor, there is a couple good threads here about converting it to the Sanden style.

Will need a new accumulator as well. Whats your condenser (radiator looking thing) like? For what they cost, I'm partial to replacing it as well. Good AC components aren't cheap.

On your 3 part list, think I'd almost go 2, 1, 3.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Sanden. They are made in Japan or USA. If you have the dreaded R4 compressor, there is a couple good threads here about converting it to the Sanden style.

Will need a new accumulator as well. Whats your condenser (radiator looking thing) like? For what they cost, I'm partial to replacing it as well. Good AC components aren't cheap.

On your 3 part list, think I'd almost go 2, 1, 3.

I have the original style compressor that would've come with an 87 truck. I'm guessing it's the dreaded R4. Also I can't do a conversion right now, so I'll just need the best replacement I can get.

Given the necessary repair order, is it possible to some of the work myself and save money on repairs? Those topmost lines leak, and the compressor is dead. So those are the only two things that absolutely must be replaced. But I don't think I can simply remove everything and put the new stuff on. Someone has to drain the system first, in case there's some left in there somewhere.

Then they need to flush it and put on the new orifice tube, unless maybe I can install the new tube. Then I'd like to have it checked thoroughly for leaks. Is it possible to do any of this myself, given the repair order?

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Sanden!

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I have the original style compressor that would've come with an 87 truck. I'm guessing it's the dreaded R4. Also I can't do a conversion right now, so I'll just need the best replacement I can get.

Given the necessary repair order, is it possible to some of the work myself and save money on repairs? Those topmost lines leak, and the compressor is dead. So those are the only two things that absolutely must be replaced. But I don't think I can simply remove everything and put the new stuff on. Someone has to drain the system first, in case there's some left in there somewhere.

Then they need to flush it and put on the new orifice tube, unless maybe I can install the new tube. Then I'd like to have it checked thoroughly for leaks. Is it possible to do any of this myself, given the repair order?
ac work isn't as complicated as you'd think. you can borrow flush kits, manifold gauges, and vaccuum pumps from the auto parts store. watch some YouTube videos and jump in.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
ac work isn't as complicated as you'd think. you can borrow flush kits, manifold gauges, and vaccuum pumps from the auto parts store. watch some YouTube videos and jump in.

Trouble is, if something doesn't work out, you are the warranty. Might end up costing a lot more than just taking it somewhere.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
This is one I had Installed July 2022 and has worked perfect since. I had the A6. There may be one for the R4 if it has different hose connections at compressor, I'm not sure. I have no regrets since I had several rebuilt A6's since 2015.

jumpjets

Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
I’ve had trouble with the “4 seasons” brand A6 style compressor. I’m on my 3rd one in a year. I installed one myself, and had the other 2 professionally installed by reputable shops.
The clutch in the first one actually caught on fire.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
That would be badass!!
Got pix of flaming A/C?

I got this saved for later. Always reckoned i'd bolt up the parts first then pay somebody to vac n fill it.

But im REALLY not excited to mess with it...probably won't. I'm makin it through this summer alright, i've got WAY BETTER places to spend that money.
I'd rather have a tube of 20 silver Krugerrands in a drawer than have an AC compressor that comes on....in my truck.
Sometimes I turn the vent on.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
In texas it's not really an option. Unless you like arriving at your destination drenched in sweat.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
In texas it's not really an option. Unless you like arriving at your destination drenched in sweat.
Did you get er dun?
I went cheap (best deal) through auto parts store on my 04 burb. Replaced compressor, office tube, dryer, not condenser. You tubed took my time. Coldest AC ever! Very satisfying.
I will have too on my daughter's square. Clutch locked up. Don't want to go on the cheap. I will look at Sanden. Sad, it has what I'd call an original replacement? Has a Moraine Ohio, Delphi II sticker on it. Made in USA.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Did you get er dun?
I went cheap (best deal) through auto parts store on my 04 burb. Replaced compressor, office tube, dryer, not condenser. You tubed took my time. Coldest AC ever! Very satisfying.
I will have too on my daughter's square. Clutch locked up. Don't want to go on the cheap. I will look at Sanden. Sad, it has what I'd call an original replacement? Has a Moraine Ohio, Delphi II sticker on it. Made in USA.

Decided to have a shop do it in May. After I added up all the costs, they aren't making that much. It looked like a $400 price difference. But you get a warranty, instead of me being the warranty. And getting to diagnose and look for leaks, refill it, etc.

Still, I'd do it myself if I had an extra truck. The next time it dies I probably will.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad