What's it worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
^Thanks!

I just go back from our family trip to Florida in it, I absolutely love this truck. It couldn't have done any better!

Hurray for 3/4 tons !!! Did you get any more mpg tests done it? I'd imagine you had it loaded down pretty good.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hurray for 3/4 tons !!! Did you get any more mpg tests done it? I'd imagine you had it loaded down pretty good.

Yeah it was packed pretty full, plus on the way back we had more food, clothes and car parts (including a Firebird door). We got as high as 11.7 mpg, if I would have kept it under 70 mph, I'm sure 12 mpg was possible. BUT, the truck just LOVES to go fast... it was perfectly happy doing 75-plus all day long. Doing 75-80 mph, we still got high 10's even in the mountains. Having driven it over 3K miles already, the lowest recorded mileage was I think 8.9 or something. That was driving to and from work a few days, plus about 30 minutes of idle time after swapping the radiator. Driving around in horrible Orlando traffic, we still got low 10's.

I think later in the year I'll do a few small things that may improve power and mileage. Bump the timing, remove the smog pumps and replace the stock 1986 mufflers with something that flows a little better. And I'm seriously considering a TBI swap.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah it was packed pretty full, plus on the way back we had more food, clothes and car parts (including a Firebird door). We got as high as 11.7 mpg, if I would have kept it under 70 mph, I'm sure 12 mpg was possible. BUT, the truck just LOVES to go fast... it was perfectly happy doing 75-plus all day long. Doing 75-80 mph, we still got high 10's even in the mountains. Having driven it over 3K miles already, the lowest recorded mileage was I think 8.9 or something. That was driving to and from work a few days, plus about 30 minutes of idle time after swapping the radiator. Driving around in horrible Orlando traffic, we still got low 10's.

I think later in the year I'll do a few small things that may improve power and mileage. Bump the timing, remove the smog pumps and replace the stock 1986 mufflers with something that flows a little better. And I'm seriously considering a TBI swap.

For real, you're mileages are hanging just about right on target with my truck with the 454/400. And I know that Burb is heavier, and you have it loaded. As I said, the best I ever got was 13.2 empty at 65 and no wind. Otherwise, at 70-75 I just under or over 11. Whoever did my motorawap has already taken the smog pump off and bent over the AIR holes in the manifolds. Doesn't sound as if that smog pump is hurting your mpg at all and they usually don't. I'd really like to swap my 3.21 gear for 3.73 and see what happens. I'd almost think my mpg would improve. Everyone thinks taller gear gets you better mpg. I am a firm beliver that is just not true in most cases.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree, a tall gear will hurt mileage if it puts the engine out of it's powerband at cruising speed.

Also, a smaller engine does not always get better fuel mileage. Under the same conditions, my 350 Burb gets the same MPG. It has to work much harder too (plus being a 700r4, I have to keep a close eye on the trans temp gauge).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehernandez