I burnt it up didn't I? Take a look HEI got wet.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
You must be registered for see images attach

So as I was getting the K20 cleaned up (motor) I took it to the car wash and sprayed the engine to clean off
grime cause I have a leak between the intake and the block (FRONT AND REAR) and am changing intakes while im at it. I have done this
a million times with no issues. BUT this time the truck would not start afterward. (the wash) My brother in-law came with a super strong
leaf blower to blow the water out of the HEI. Still no start. We tow it back to my house I pull the cap and its full of water on the base side.
I get my air nozzle and blow 120Lbs of air at it and get it super dry. Then I spray brake clean on it to dry it up followed by more air.
Then I used my propane torch to make sure its dry and it still caught fire LOL. I made sure it was super dry with compressed air. When I turned the key she fired right up. revved it up a couple time and then she died. would never start again. Did I burn the module up. This is a billet distributor and I dont just want to throw it away. Got to be something simple right? Going to use the one from the 80 Z28 for now :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Remove the rotor check the bottom for "tracks". The high voltage may have found a "shortcut" and burned a track through some leftover moisture.. I echo what squareroot said.. Why did you take a torch to it?????

In any event, replace the module and pickup coil. Like a cat, neither of these pieces like to be wet.

Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
No
Truck Model
No
Engine Size
No
Just an FYI those Street Fire distributors are absolutely no better than the $50 ones you can get on eBay. It's literally the same exact thing without the stickers. Just buy another one and get over it.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Might get away with simply replace icm. I wouldn't throw it away if the shaft is tight. Buy quality parts you trust and Replace the module and since it's out get a new pickup coil and you'll have a "rebuilt" unit.

Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
No
Truck Model
No
Engine Size
No
Might get away with simply replace icm. I wouldn't throw it away if the shaft is tight. Buy quality parts you trust and Replace the module and since it's out get a new pickup coil and you'll have a "rebuilt" unit.
Again the Street Fire is a rebranded Chinese $50 dizzy. Why spend $40 to maybe fix it when you can spend $50 and definitely fix it? Guess it just doesn't make sense to me

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Again the Street Fire is a rebranded Chinese $50 dizzy. Why spend $40 to maybe fix it when you can spend $50 and definitely fix it? Guess it just doesn't make sense to me
I understand your point as I've bought several of those 50$ distributors to replace ones with worn bushings and such and think there pretty good overall but the electronics are cheap and don't last as long is all. I've been burned by cheap electronics too many times lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod