What to do? What to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
My Suburban currently has a 400 small block in it. From what I've been told is it was rebuilt in 2000 and the PO just used it to tow his boat after that. It runs rough, but it runs. I know one cylinder has leaky valve seals, possibly a bad valve in that cylinder. It leaks oil from both ends, the valve covers, and coolant from the thermo housing. I'm guessing it was bored over, probably .030. If it was rebuilt in 2000, figuring on the small end, 5k miles a year, that's almost 100k on the motor. It has head casting #458642 which are 1.72/1.50 valve 76cc chamber crack prone smog heads.

In my '75 I have a 350 small block. Runs good, feels pretty strong. No idea on age, rebuilds, or originality. It doesn't leak. It has head casting #333882, which have 1.94/1.5 valves and are also 76cc chamber crack prone smog heads but supposedly they flow good.

Keep in mind that eventually I want a big block in this truck so this is going to be a "budget" rebuild that needs to last a few years. I have a few scenarios that I could come up with.

Scenario #1
Swap the 400 with the 350 and call it a day, maybe install a cam, intake and carb. Sell the 400 and use the cash for a big block.

Scenario #2
Replace leaking gaskets and hope the 400 holds up for a while, sell the 350 and use that cash towards a big block.

Scenario #3
Take the heads off the 350, make modifications to put them on the 400, new gaskets, truck cam, intake and carb.

What do you guys think? I don't have a lot of cash on hand. I'm kind of able to use cash when it's available, probably a few hundred a month. Currently looking for ways to make extra cash for my projects. Big blocks around here go for $750+ for a stock core with no accessories. I can get a freshly pulled motor off eBay for around $1k and free delivery but they have 2-300k miles on them.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Scenario #2

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
ditto on #2

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Same here, #2

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Scenario #2, and stay away from so called low mileage take outs on Ebay, Craigslist ect.

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Wow, I was not expecting a unanimous #2. I was expecting #1 lol

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Another vote for #2. These trucks are surprisingly easy to work in. Yes I said in. Pull the hood off and you have even more space. That will be quickest way to get rolling reliably and have the least impact on your wallet.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
#2 by a good bit for me, too. #1 isn’t bad, but in the long run, it seems like you’d be playing musical chairs, just with engines instead of humans. Too many potential snags for #3 (steam holes, compression bump, the possibility of only partially/temporarily fixing your problem after all the work) with better options on the table. Plus, 400s are cool. @Rusty Nail would also almost certainly say keep the 400 for the long haul.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I did #2. Except I just happened find a BBC before I pulled the 305 out.

So I guess 2 for me too. Lol

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thank you.

When I read the thread we immediately heard Joe Walsh and chose two.
?
But Seriously Folks - think about JoeWalsh for a minute because he's a lot like a 400 small block.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'll be back in eight songs, have a seat. :33:

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Men I am in.a.mood! YeeHaawww!

There sure is a lot of good content in this MSB ...you're gonna like this addition.

Doubt it?
..******!

Seriously?

Good.

You can go.

wait.what?
Ya.

Please excuse yourself and take only your things with you.

SECURITY!
:Nonono:

Look, Reader if you listened to "Over and Over" and you WERE NOT playing air guitar at 1:30 in, I ain't talkin to you.

Check your schedule.

Possibly you may be in the wrong room...
See this is an AP course and frankly, not everybody qualifies to be here.:idiot:

Yeah thanks. Aaannnddd see yourself out PLIZ.. Maybe go check in with your Counselor?
SECURITY!!
:mad3:

If you're still here - you find the time to let your mind wander and YOU are the intended audience.

IF you had imagined a deth metl cover song before the 3:30 mark please see me after class. HornzUp!

:rocking:

How is JoeWalsh like a 400 small block you ask?
Sure there are easier to listen to and far more popular bands than JoeWalsh but are they really better-or just given away more freely? Maybe more readily available?
Even battling the bands of his time JOEWALSH WAS misunderstood and it is only now, looking back, are we able to completely collect and admire the collective genius that is JoeWalsh.

ADDITIONALLY, when one is to compare Joe's lyrics with the other bands OF THAT TIME , we can see there is obviously little that compares.

Joe Walsh is a goddamned genius.
That's no debate.

But not everybody thinks so.
It's too hard to get.
He's confusing and plays too TWANGY. AND SLOW.

But he made a million dollars...
o_O

You ain't gotta like it. I get he's not cool as some more popular bands. It's no secret most people think he's ..weird.

Listening to JoeWalsh ain't for everybody but he probably don't care. :321:
He knows he's a goddamned genius cuz he's BEEN. HAVIN. that million dollars already...

So you get it.

But can you see where this road is headed?

I argue that if a person grows far enough to reach THIS.PLACE. to ASK QUESTIONS LIKE.THAT.
AND THEN ?
not want something that.much.cooler. than the next guy?

Then you ain't never gonna have a 400 small block.

YOU CAN. sit around and wonder and want until you get full but that ain't for everybody either.

I BEEN.HAVIN.that 400 already.
:33:

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Men I am in.a.mood! YeeHaawww!

There sure is a lot of good content in this MSB ...you're gonna like this addition.

Doubt it?
..******!

Seriously?

Good.

You can go.

wait.what?
Ya.

Please excuse yourself and take only your things with you.

SECURITY!
:Nonono:

Look, Reader if you listened to "Over and Over" and you WERE NOT playing air guitar at 1:30 in, I ain't talkin to you.

Check your schedule.

Possibly you may be in the wrong room...
See this is an AP course and frankly, not everybody qualifies to be here.:idiot:

Yeah thanks. Aaannnddd see yourself out PLIZ.. Maybe go check in with your Counselor?
SECURITY!!
:mad3:

If you're still here - you find the time to let your mind wander and YOU are the intended audience.

IF you had imagined a deth metl cover song before the 3:30 mark please see me after class. HornzUp!

:rocking:

How is JoeWalsh like a 400 small block you ask?
Sure there are easier to listen to and far more popular bands than JoeWalsh but are they really better-or just given away more freely? Maybe more readily available?
Even battling the bands of his time JOEWALSH WAS misunderstood and it is only now, looking back, are we able to completely collect and admire the collective genius that is JoeWalsh.

ADDITIONALLY, when one is to compare Joe's lyrics with the other bands OF THAT TIME , we can see there is obviously little that compares.

Joe Walsh is a goddamned genius.
That's no debate.

But not everybody thinks so.
It's too hard to get.
He's confusing and plays too TWANGY. AND SLOW.

But he made a million dollars...
o_O

You ain't gotta like it. I get he's not cool as some more popular bands. It's no secret most people think he's ..weird.

Listening to JoeWalsh ain't for everybody but he probably don't care. :321:
He knows he's a goddamned genius cuz he's BEEN. HAVIN. that million dollars already...

So you get it.

But can you see where this road is headed?

I argue that if a person grows far enough to reach THIS.PLACE. to ASK QUESTIONS LIKE.THAT.
AND THEN ?
not want something that.much.cooler. than the next guy?

Then you ain't never gonna have a 400 small block.

YOU CAN. sit around and wonder and want until you get full but that ain't for everybody either.

I BEEN.HAVIN.that 400 already.
:33:

Normally I would ask if you were alright, but I know you post like this all the time...so you're good :peace:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
:lol: Whatever.

Look I'm not pickin on ya Tubetruck but ain't you kinda new to be talkin about what I do all the time? o_O See I done been here for a minute but you just showed up.
Idaho.:boxed:
Illinois, Whatever!

Hahah just kidding ol boy but srsly though...that's kind of like blowing past JoeWalsh so quick.
Hold up.
Waaaaaiit a minute!

We're still talking about JoeWalsh being like a 400 small block.

:)

We'll try to move on later.
Take this guy for example.. He probably has a 400 small block too! Looks like he might .
?

:p

Yeeaaahhh no. Lmfao TOTally NOT that guy, BUT, he gets JoeWalsh and qualifies , which obviously isn't prerequisite to owning a 400 small block - but improper display of the American flag ain't a crime neither and that dude is still metal AF.
:peace:

I wager simply The Prospect of a 400 small block would intimidate the crap out of that guy. Again, It ain't for everybody.
:popcorn:

Everybody else back?
Alright take your seats
Welcome new guys. Hope you enjoyed the break, thanks I slept like a Baby.

Today as we continue to detail how JoeWalsh is like a 400 small block, :naughty:, you can take ONE LOOK at that dude, listen to him talk, and know in your heartest of hearts that he sure as hell dont got a 400smallblock .

If you dont? (know that)

You should pick an option that is not two. Maybe somebody different would know what to do with one.

Most people pass em on and get passed by them because they cant make a guitar talk nor understand a guy that does. Dont care.

Why dont they just go ahead and play it regular? That's faster and we could have been doin it by now.
Right?
Besides I'm confused why it's different. Why JoeWalsh is...different. That's dumb!

If that's the case I'm not talkin to you either and plz check your 400 smallblock at the door.
On your way out.
Thanks.

If your answer is "I could just get a 350 and be goin by now" than further elaboration is moot after pointing out that even JoeWalsh has grown far enough to reach this place.

:pokeowned:

What just happened?

Now you get where it's headed once we are there...:nono:
400 smallblocks belong to people that get goosebumps around 3:30... not sure if that's you or not dude.
:shrug:
If you watched the above video, now YOU KNOW how JoeWalsh is like a 400 smallblock.

That was pretty round about but don't know a better way to explain it...;)

This reminds me of the guy that grew far enough to end up here - only to ask if his roundeye K5 was worth puttin FLOORPANS in - and he was in Texas!

Thanks @bucket

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
:lol: Whatever.

Look I'm not pickin on ya Tubetruck but ain't you kinda new to be talkin about what I do all the time? o_O See I done been here for a minute but you just showed up.
Idaho.:boxed:
Illinois, Whatever!

Hahah just kidding ol boy but srsly though...that's kind of like blowing past JoeWalsh so quick.
Hold up.
Waaaaaiit a minute!

We're still talking about JoeWalsh being like a 400 small block.

:)

We'll try to move on later.
Take this guy for example.. He probably has a 400 small block too!
?

:p

Yeeaaahhh no. Lmfao TOTally NOT that guy, BUT, he gets JoeWalsh and qualifies , which obviously isn't prerequisite to owning a 400 small block - but improper display of the American flag ain't a crime neither and that dude is still metal AF.
:peace:

I wager simply The Prospect of a 400 small block would intimidate the crap out of that guy. Again, It ain't for everybody.
:popcorn:

Everybody else back?
Alright take your seats
Welcome new guys. Hope you enjoyed the break, thanks I slept like a Baby.

Today as we continue to detail how JoeWalsh is like a 400 small block, :naughty:, you can take ONE LOOK at that dude, listen to him talk, and know in your heartest of hearts that he sure as hell dont got a 400smallblock .

If you dont? (know that)

You should pick an option that is not two. Maybe somebody different would know what to do with one.

Most people pass em on and get passed by them because they cant make a guitar talk nor understand a guy that does. Dont care.

Why dont they just go ahead and play it regular? That's faster and we could have been doin it by now.
Right?
Besides I'm confused why it's different. Why JoeWalsh is...different. That's dumb!

If that's the case I'm not talkin to you either and plz check your 400 smallblock at the door.
On your way out.
Thanks.

If your answer is "I could just get a 350 and be goin by now" than further elaboration is moot after pointing out that even JoeWalsh has grown far enough to reach this place.

:pokeowned:

What just happened?

Now you get where it's headed once we are there...:nono:
400 smallblocks belong to people that get goosebumps around 3:30... don't know if that's you or not.
:shrug:
If you watched the above video, now YOU KNOW how JoeWalsh is like a 400 smallblock.

That was pretty round about but don't know a better way to explain it...;)

This reminds me of the guy that grew far enough to end up here - only to ask if his roundeye K5 was worth puttin FLOORPANS in - and he was in Texas!

Thanks @bucket

You crack me up dude! :happy175:

Joe Walsh is bad ass! :headbang:

Keep em coming

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk