What headers will fit a Blueprint 454 in a 1987 K10/V10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shoote

Reaction score
First Name
tim
Truck Year
1987 1985
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 502
I am putting a Blueprint engines 454 in my 1987 V10 4x4. The Blueprint engine exhaust port on the heads is .30" higher than GM heads. I am told this can cause issues with plugs and plug wires being too close to the headers or the header will not fit because it hits the spark plugs. The other issue I have read about is big block verses small block engine perches, the part of the motor mount that attaches directly to the engine block. Does anyone know if there are two different perches, one for small block and one for big block? Do I need to find big block perches to make this engine fit? I already contacted LMC and they had no clue about big block verses small block motor mount perches. I am sure someone must have installed a Blueprint big block in a 4x4 square body. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
On the "perches", small block and big block are the same, or at least interchangable. The "motor mounts" that bolt to the frame are different for a FACTORY big block truck than a small block truck. Different bolt pattern, but the perches will work on either one. I have never heard about the different heads on a Blueprint. You should probably contact Blueprint and see what they recommend, or one of the header mfg.s.

Shoote

Reaction score
First Name
tim
Truck Year
1987 1985
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 502
 Thank you for the response. I did speak with Blueprint about the headers. They do suggest header manufacturers. Lemons quoted me $2480 for the headers. Sanderson quoted me $990 with a six week lead time. Both quotes are for ceramic coated. I was hoping to find a less pricey set.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Fwiw, I run Sanderson’s and they are excellent quality and fit perfectly (regular bbc heads).

I bought mine bare finish and immediately regretted it, just too nice. I ended up getting mine Jet Hot coated, I’m about to call them for a warranty recoat (about 10 years old).

DonL

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I am putting a Blueprint engines 454 in my 1987 V10 4x4. The Blueprint engine exhaust port on the heads is .30" higher than GM heads. I am told this can cause issues with plugs and plug wires being too close to the headers or the header will not fit because it hits the spark plugs. The other issue I have read about is big block verses small block engine perches, the part of the motor mount that attaches directly to the engine block. Does anyone know if there are two different perches, one for small block and one for big block? Do I need to find big block perches to make this engine fit? I already contacted LMC and they had no clue about big block verses small block motor mount perches. I am sure someone must have installed a Blueprint big block in a 4x4 square body. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
I have a 2WD truck (1966 GMC 1/2 ton) with a BBC with a Squarebody front crossmember.

I used Squarebody C20 clamshell mounts, which are different than SBC mounts.. especially the frame brackets.

In the original configuration with stock cast (781) cylinder heads… Hedman #69110 were a perfect fit.
However, an upgrade to Performance World aftermarket aluminum heads with 0.375” raised ports resulted in insufficient plug boot clearance. Boo.

I presently have a set of Patriot #H8054 Squarebody headers installed.
Plug boot clearance will work with 2500*F basalt plug booties.

Installation issues:

1.) it required the Vortec mini starter. No room for the stock Delco 10MT.

2.) the collectors are angled outward toward the frame, which is causing me grief with my 3” exhaust cutouts. Planning to rosebud the header tubes in front of the collectors and straighten them out.

3.) the dipstick is mounted on the RH side of the engine and goes into the oil pan. Welp, header tube #2 snakes under #4, and ends up almost completely blocking access to the oil pan dipstick boss!

I’m seeing both of the last two issues as straight up design flaws.

I have a set of Hedman #65002 (70-72 Chevelle application) on order and hoping for a better fit.

Attachments

• IMG_7190.jpeg
    IMG_7190.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7189.jpeg
    IMG_7189.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7188.jpeg
    IMG_7188.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7183.jpeg
    IMG_7183.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7101.jpeg
    IMG_7101.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 9

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Just wondering but why chance Chevelle headers when Headman has a C10 list a mile long, I can also tell you BB-8’s fit beautifully

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod