What of brand of engine oil and oil filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
i will also use Mobil 1 filters if i can find them on sale at the parts store. Don't remember the pt#. Again, the price difference is not a major factor since we are not changing it that often.

Here is an interesting article regarding filters specifically for the SBC:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i will also use Mobil 1 filters if i can find them on sale at the parts store. Don't remember the pt#. Again, the price difference is not a major factor since we are not changing it that often.

Here is an interesting article regarding filters specifically for the SBC:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

Mobil 1 is what I use with my Synthetic Oil too. When I catch them on sale, I usually buy 3 or 4 at a time and keep them in stock.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Rotella in my cammed/turbo'd LSx motors. Brad Penn in my built SBC in my camaro and in my brother's cammed 454. I run Mobil 1 synthetic in all the daily drivers. My main oil filter brands are Wix and Purolator. I do run the Fram Racing filters on my SBC/BBC's.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
I use castrol and Fram(next time ill probably go with a wix filter)

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
I use Valvoline max life and a fram filter

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I use valvoline max life an wix filters only

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Rotella T6 5w40 and Subaru filters for the 2007 FXT. Castrol GTX Heavy Duty 10w40 for the 81 Chevy and Purolator Pure One Filters. Castrol GTX Heavy Duty 10x40 for the 91 Cherokee and Purolator Pure One Filters.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just slapped a Wix and 15W40 in the Silvy.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic. And if I had the extra $$ I'd buy the Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic. AC delco or WIX filters.

That being said ever since I bought the truck 6 years ago the engine would pop or miss fire at upper RPM. Just found out 3 of the lobes are ground down. The truck got a little worse every year. Having a friend put a new cam/lifters/timing set in it this weekend.

Bought some valvoline non-synthetic race oil (supposedly has less detergents in it- detergents can keep some of the zinc from sticking to the cam) and a bottle of Lucas break in oil (has the zinc/phospate stuff in it). Going to break it in with that oil for 20 minutes then change it. Have some non-synthetic Rotella to put in there with some zinc additive. Going to run that for 500 miles and change the oil again. Crane cams suggested getting 4000-5000 miles before going back to synthetic.

Once I go back to synthetic I'm not sure if I will go back to mobil 1 high mileage (has more zinc than the regular stuff) or run Rotella T6 synthetic.

Seem everyone has a lot of opinions on zinc additives, camshaft break in and how to run it after it is broken in. All I know is I don't want to have to replace another camshaft. Didn't have the money to do it right now as it is.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I'd just leave the additive in and do the first oil change at 500 miles. And then I'd go the 3500-4000 miles on conventional with a good filter as Crane suggested. You're not going to get all that much break in metal off the cam and lifters, and if you are concerned about it, get a magnetic drain plug to trap all the fine metal particles. I suggest everyone do that anyway. It's a good tell tale sign everytime you change your oil of engine wear between changes by the metal on the tip the drain plug. JMO Though. If it makes you feel better to change it so soon, then so be it. I certainly won't hurt, I just think it's a waste.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jersagfast