What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This was an unexpected issue getting the truck ready to go back on the road that I had not encountered before. This was a truck I purchased off a board members friend in upper Northern CA a couple years back. The glass was stained with waterspots. I mean so bad I had to drive with the drivers door open to see forward. Tried CLR, industrial vinegar, rubbing compound, etc. It was better but still had marks and scratches. Thought about it and how long it was going to take only to get marginal results, bit the bullet and purchased all new glass for it from a local glass shop who I had coming out to put a windshield in another vehicle. I had previously purchased a complete weather strip replacement kit that included the front and rear gaskets so already had them. Ordered a pre cut tint kit for it too, here in AZ it's a necessity.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sounds like crazy water spots. Did it somehow etch the glass?

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Guess I’ll join the swap your radiator club. Last winter when it got down to -20 degrees the radiator in my CUCV froze and split. I pulled it out and soldered it, and thought it was good, but it started leaking again this spring. Never one to do anything when it’s easy, I waited until this week when we are expecting snow to fix it. Found the leak in a different spot than before and soldered it up. Appeared to have fixed it, but I didn’t have a way to pressure test it. Filled it up and tried it out today, and it appears to be leaking again.

Thinking about buying at new one since the one in it is probably original and will probably keep springing leaks. Looks like prices range from about $300 on Rockauto, to $550 at Autozone. Any recommendations for a decent brand?
Bought mine for a 1985 K10 from speedway motors about 2 years ago 3 core .... was 399 then , who knows now with bidenomics !

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like crazy water spots. Did it somehow etch the glass?
Once I get the film or what ever is on there off, you can see water spots etched into the glass. After a couple minutes of trying to polish the glass, it has very defined light scratches and you can still see the water spots. Acid rain? That was a big thing during that era. I remember cars having their paint all screwed up by it.

Now, it's never going to be a 100% restoration but a fact about Phoenix, the roads run North to South or East to West and it's flat. You end up driving into the sun and a hazy glass makes it worse. All the glass including the windshield, side windows, vent glass and a solid rear window delivered to my house was $380, ceramic 3M pre cut tint was another $225. I didn't think it was that bad, I expected it to be more.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Once I get the film or what ever is on there off, you can see water spots etched into the glass. After a couple minutes of trying to polish the glass, it has very defined light scratches and you can still see the water spots. Acid rain? That was a big thing during that era. I remember cars having their paint all screwed up by it.

Now, it's never going to be a 100% restoration but a fact about Phoenix, the roads run North to South or East to West and it's flat. You end up driving into the sun and a hazy glass makes it worse. All the glass including the windshield, side windows, vent glass and a solid rear window delivered to my house was $380, ceramic 3M pre cut tint was another $225. I didn't think it was that bad, I expected it to be more.
did someone use Purple power aluminum brightener on anything near it? I used that on the aluminum on my camper top and it got on the glass. The directions specifically say not to use on glass. I've now got a haze/etch where it ran down.

Just in case, I'll run thru the brain (lol) and chemicals I think I used on it prior to painting to verify. What ever I used, will not come off period. I tried polishing in a small area with no luck. With trying to shine up the aluminum on it, I'm 99% sure it was that product.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I dropped off the other radiator my neighbor gave me because it's in better shape than the other one. One last try at it before I buy a new aluminum one. I'm gonna leave the fan shroud off this time to see if that makes a difference. Because I don't remember it leaking until I rigged it to fit. Probably end up putting electric fans on this summer. We'll see how it runs.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
sounds like sand etched glass. sand is horrible on everything. from arizona wind blowing sand ect.....

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sounds like sand etched glass. sand is horrible on everything. from arizona wind blowing sand ect.....
The windshield I just replaced was for that , this place is tough on glass that way. The stained are little water splatters all over the glass. I will try to get a picture of them. Most people would just send it but as I said, morning and evening, your directly into the sun, it's hard enough to drive at that time.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
did someone use Purple power aluminum brightener on anything near it? I used that on the aluminum on my camper top and it got on the glass. The directions specifically say not to use on glass. I've now got a haze/etch where it ran down.

Just in case, I'll run thru the brain (lol) and chemicals I think I used on it prior to painting to verify. What ever I used, will not come off period. I tried polishing in a small area with no luck. With trying to shine up the aluminum on it, I'm 99% sure it was that product.
I only used car wash soap the only time I washed it so not to take off any more paint, but yes Purple Power is my go to degreaser and cleanser. I am familiar of what it can do
using it too strong.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l

Well that truck sat in that spot we moved it from for a long time, in weather from freezing to blazing hot. We regularly get 115 in the summer which rivals the temps you see in the Phoenix area. I happy that you're getting it back on the road again. Looks a lot better.

Drauka99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ4
I’m a big guy (6’4” and 350ish). And my bench seat was a bit high and forward for me. So today I modified the stock sliders. They are fixed position now but the seat should sit about 2” further back and an 1-1/2” lower. Pretty much the hinge cover on the sides will be right on the floor of the cab.
Pics are of one stock and one modified to show the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpeg
    IMG_0606.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0607.jpeg
    IMG_0607.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 24

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I’m a big guy (6’4” and 350ish). And my bench seat was a bit high and forward for me. So today I modified the stock sliders. They are fixed position now but the seat should sit about 2” further back and an 1-1/2” lower. Pretty much the hinge cover on the sides will be right on the floor of the cab.
Pics are of one stock and one modified to show the difference.
So they no longer slide? Not adjustable?

Drauka99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ4
So they no longer slide? Not adjustable?
Nope. To get the seat lower all the adjustment stuff had to go. After the engine swap it became very clear to me that I wasn’t going to feel safe letting my SO drive the truck or pretty much anyone so seat adjustment became pretty much a moot point from there

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Installed a couple of parts my wife got me for Christmas. The front air deflector had been damaged at some point. New one looks much better although it took a little whittling to mount it as a few of the bolt holes were off a little.

The dome light never looked right although it worked. When I removed it I saw why: The base had melted! The new LED bulb should prevent that from reoccurring.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Installed a couple of parts my wife got me for Christmas. The front air deflector had been damaged at some point. New one looks much better although it took a little whittling to mount it as a few of the bolt holes were off a little.

The dome light never looked right although it worked. When I removed it I saw why: The base had melted! The new LED bulb should prevent that from reoccurring.

That's half the reason I switch everything to led. Looks good!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10