What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Yea I replaced all balljoints, control arm bushings , tie rods, idler and pitman arm, 3 inch drop spindles , rotors/hubs and brake pads. And drop shackles and hangers in the rear. It's like a brand new truck. Just got a little play in my gearbox . but gonna try and make some adjustments to it to see if I can get the play out. If not a quick ratio gearbox will be on the list .

when did you get your truck?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
THE TRUCK FELL OFF THE LIFT?!?!? my condolences....

Yeah, you joined this forum a little after that happened.
It didnt damage the body or anything, but it damaged my soul, i almost cried. We suspected it to be "ok" as it was since a couple weeks ago we had a 1 ton crew cab dually up there, and it didnt fall or anything... the weird part was, thr burb just fell for no ******* reason backwards. We had brought the truck close to ground level to compress the coils and all, the coil shot out, and the truck moved on thr lift (while it was at ground level), we readjusted the truck, finished the coil, pick it back up, we're standing around drinking a beer and thr mother ****** randomly fell backwards.
Sadly, no pics of the fallen suburban, i was too.... uh.... in shock for that

It fell IN PARK, in surprised it didnt bust the parking paw

After recovering from the fall, i wedged a pipe between the concrete and my hitch and dropped the ass of the truck on it so that couldnt happen again..

You must be registered for see images attach

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Yeah, you joined this forum a little after that happened.
It didnt damage the body or anything, but it damaged my soul, i almost cried. We suspected it to be "ok" as it was since a couple weeks ago we had a 1 ton crew cab dually up there, and it didnt fall or anything... the weird part was, thr burb just fell for no ******* reason backwards. We had brought the truck close to ground level to compress the coils and all, the coil shot out, and the truck moved on thr lift (while it was at ground level), we readjusted the truck, finished the coil, pick it back up, we're standing around drinking a beer and thr mother ****** randomly fell backwards.
Sadly, no pics of the fallen suburban, i was too.... uh.... in shock for that

It fell IN PARK, in surprised it didnt bust the parking paw

After recovering from the fall, i wedged a pipe between the concrete and my hitch and dropped the ass of the truck on it so that couldnt happen again..

well im relieved to hear the truck is okay and your spirit is still intact. that couldn't have been a good experience

ALSO what am i seeing about a 91 Blazer with 5 ton axles?!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
well im relieved to hear the truck is okay and your spirit is still intact. that couldn't have been a good experience

Its mine, i built it from the frame up.
5 ton rockwells, big tires, 502 ci, holley efi, th400, all kinds of good ****.

Its in the "under construction" area.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
when did you get your truck?
Around october of 2019. Not 2 weeks after I got it I had to replace the motor. And just started from there. Remanned long block but went from a 305 to 350 and been throwing money at ever since. Its finally to the point where its seems to be a very reliable daily driver but as I stated I have been throwing gobs of money at it since I have had it. Previous owner had not taken care of it . Hacked up wiring, leaks out of everywhere possible. I knew it would be a project . Just hoped it was a running driving project.However it was not and had me in a bind for a few months without transportation. But I am very happy with the end results of stage 1 . and confident I can jump in it and drive and not worry about something happening . ( knock on wood ) now its time to get back on my harley build so when march bike week comes I can ride .

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502

Truck ISNT ok tho. Pretty sure it jarred the 4.10 gears in the rear end i freshly setup about 1.5 months ago.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Some lessons have to be learned the hard way lol j/k. I'm hoping ypu find the source of the whine . I really like your suburban and all the things that you have done to it .
Thankfully, you already had good alignment and nice tires. I bought 5 new tires for my burb, and had to learn the hard way the suspension was **** and out of alignment.

It ate my front tires, so i did balljoints, coils, tie rods, pitman and idler, as well as new shocks and sway bar bushings.... total price... 600... then new tires for the front.... came up to about 360.... then an alignment 2 days later. 60.....

I knew it was coming tho, i just knew it was gonna cost me 1000 or more for all that, is what it is i guess.

Reminds me, i need to pop my diff cover and check on my gear lash and pinion depth before those get ate up and i have to regear the rear end AGAIN.

That whole front end job in general has caused much frustration and confusion since the truck fell off the lift :(

(For anyone too lazy to go back and read, or in general unaware, the night it fell off the lift and slammed down on the back tires, after we recovered it, and i drove it home that night, i started to hear a whine, which i started the investigation in the trans to find bad parts used in the build, which i replaced and restacked the trans, but the whine immediately became present again on the first drive on the "freshened up" trans, i am suspected the rear end got racked really hard when it fell)

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Around october of 2019. Not 2 weeks after I got it I had to replace the motor. And just started from there. Remanned long block but went from a 305 to 350 and been throwing money at ever since. Its finally to the point where its seems to be a very reliable daily driver but as I stated I have been throwing gobs of money at it since I have had it. Previous owner had not taken care of it . Hacked up wiring, leaks out of everywhere possible. I knew it would be a project . Just hoped it was a running driving project.However it was not and had me in a bind for a few months without transportation. But I am very happy with the end results of stage 1 . and confident I can jump in it and drive and not worry about something happening . ( knock on wood ) now its time to get back on my harley build so when march bike week comes I can ride .

and that's one hell of a feeling, knowing such a truck is reliable. Plus, it sounds like you're a true square body owner (throwing tons of money at it) THATS HOW IT GOES haha

I had also got my first truck back in October '19, best purchase i ever made

AND a question about your wiring, did you end up repairing it or just replacing the entire thing?

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
and that's one hell of a feeling, knowing such a truck is reliable. Plus, it sounds like you're a true square body owner (throwing tons of money at it) THATS HOW IT GOES haha

I had also got my first truck back in October '19, best purchase i ever made

AND a question about your wiring, did you end up repairing it or just replacing the entire thing?
just properly repaired it . it was bad but not bad enough I needed to replace it. I'll save that expense for when stage 2 happens. An LS with two snails and a 6 speed with full coilover suspension. Thats a few years off though . My goal is make it a track beast that I can drive daily if I choose .

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
just properly repaired it . it was bad but not bad enough I needed to replace it. I'll save that expense for when stage 2 happens. An LS with two snails and a 6 speed with full coilover suspension. Thats a few years off though . My goal is make it a track beast that I can drive daily if I choose .

now that wouldn't be a bad idea

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Its mine, i built it from the frame up.
5 ton rockwells, big tires, 502 ci, holley efi, th400, all kinds of good ****.

Its in the "under construction" area.

think you could put a link up for a guy?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
that'll piss ya off! I've got a small drip on my 454 after I rebuilt it in that same area and I can't find it for the life of me! Other than I know for sure it's not the rear main seal. I suspect it's one of the corners of the pan gasket where the pan rails meet the main cap seal. Like I might not have gotten that dab of silicone in the right spot or smeared it by accident when installing the pan. I've retightened the pan bolts and crawled all over it with the engine running but it doesn't actually drip until I drive it for a duration. spray it all off and clean it, rev it up in the driveway-nothing. drive it around town-nothing. take it to the next town and back-oil tracked down the back of the pan and on the starter same as yours. I've left the converter cover off of it and cleaned the inside of the bellhousing, behind the flywheel, and back of the block as best as I can and everywhere in between to no avail. I've convinced myself that at some point i'm just going to have to drop the pan, clean everything up, re-silicone it all and install a one piece pan gasket to see if that solves the problem.

I have a similar leak. pretty sure mine is coming off the back of the intake manifold gasket. a shop used rtv and didn't let it set to cure right. I know this because they used rtv on the intake manifold boots and they wept oil until I pulled them one at a time and used a proper sealer. I don't have to add oil in between oil changes, so I will just let it be until I have a reason for the intake manifold to come off.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
that'll piss ya off! I've got a small drip on my 454 after I rebuilt it in that same area and I can't find it for the life of me! Other than I know for sure it's not the rear main seal. I suspect it's one of the corners of the pan gasket where the pan rails meet the main cap seal. Like I might not have gotten that dab of silicone in the right spot or smeared it by accident when installing the pan. I've retightened the pan bolts and crawled all over it with the engine running but it doesn't actually drip until I drive it for a duration. spray it all off and clean it, rev it up in the driveway-nothing. drive it around town-nothing. take it to the next town and back-oil tracked down the back of the pan and on the starter same as yours. I've left the converter cover off of it and cleaned the inside of the bellhousing, behind the flywheel, and back of the block as best as I can and everywhere in between to no avail. I've convinced myself that at some point i'm just going to have to drop the pan, clean everything up, re-silicone it all and install a one piece pan gasket to see if that solves the problem.

Did you have the rear cap off? Did you use the anaerobic sealant all the way across the cap surface when you installed it? I've seen where people didnt run the bead all the way across and they get a small leak from between the cap surface.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP